The Black Crowes

just watched the cabin fever dvd last night and really enjoyed it. watching it made me appreciate the songs on until the frost...more. i was prepping for their knoxville show tonight, which i am fortunate enough to have two pretty good tickets. can't wait.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just watched the cabin fever dvd last night and really enjoyed it. watching it made me appreciate the songs on until the frost...more. i was prepping for their knoxville show tonight, which i am fortunate enough to have two pretty good tickets. can't wait.

That dvd is pretty special. It was already a great album before I saw it but when you watch Cabin Fever it makes you appreciate it even more. Enjoy the show.

p.s: Are there any other good Crowes DVD's worth picking up?

The Black Crowes: Who Killed That Bird Out On Your Windowsill?(1992)

Freak 'n' Roll...Into the Fog: The Black Crowes All Join Hands, The Fillmore, San Francisco (2006)

Chris Robinson and Rich Robinson: Brothers of a Feather - Live at the Roxy (2007)

Who killed that bird is worth it. Freak n' roll not so much. Haven't seen the brothers dvd...

Thanks for that.

I think I saw 'who killed the bird' many many years ago on yhs. If I recall it is a collection of videos, interviews and live performances. Good stuff if my memory serves.

Thanks for that.

I think I saw 'who killed the bird' many many years ago on yhs. If I recall it is a collection of videos, interviews and live performances. Good stuff if my memory serves.

I think they are all good. If you want to see the band with Marc, then you will want Freak 'n' Roll.

great show. two 80 minute sets. wow.

I'm going to see them on 11/17 at the Norva in Norfolk, VA, based almost exclusively on reading comments on this board. Tickets were just $35 and it's a great small venue right around the corner from my home, so it seemed like a no-brainer. That being said, I hardly know anything at all about the Black Crowes, other than the fact that Chris Robinson used to be married to Kate Hudson. (I know, dumbass thing to say, but I hope I'm among friends and in a safe environment --translated: don't tell me how stupid I am, please!)

Anyway, between now and then I'd like to get more familiar with their catalog so the songs will be more resonant for me. Would the Warpaint Live CD be a good place to start? Any other suggestions?

I don't expect or want to become obsessed with them--one obsession is more than enough, thanks!--but I do want to get to know enough about them to really appreciate the show.

I'm going to see them on 11/17 at the Norva in Norfolk, VA, based almost exclusively on reading comments on this board. Tickets were just $35 and it's a great small venue right around the corner from my home, so it seemed like a no-brainer. That being said, I hardly know anything at all about the Black Crowes, other than the fact that Chris Robinson used to be married to Kate Hudson. (I know, dumbass thing to say, but I hope I'm among friends and in a safe environment --translated: don't tell me how stupid I am, please!)

Anyway, between now and then I'd like to get more familiar with their catalog so the songs will be more resonant for me. Would the Warpaint Live CD be a good place to start? Any other suggestions?

I don't expect or want to become obsessed with them--one obsession is more than enough, thanks!--but I do want to get to know enough about them to really appreciate the show.

You can go to Crowesbase and see what they have been playing. If you just want to hear some songs, you could just go to Youtube and look up some clips.

You can go to Crowesbase and see what they have been playing. If you just want to hear some songs, you could just go to Youtube and look up some clips.

I know, and I have, but for instance, if I were unfamilar with Wilco and wanted to get a quick primer on their most essential stuff, I might not want to start with either A.M. or SBS; hopefully, someone would steer me to YHF, AGIB or BT. So I was hoping that if someone here is a big fan, you could let me know where I would get the most bang for my buck, so to speak, with Black Crowes. No problem if that's not really doable with this band, by the way. Thanks!

I know, and I have, but for instance, if I were unfamilar with Wilco and wanted to get a quick primer on their most essential stuff, I might not want to start with either A.M. or SBS; hopefully, someone would steer me to YHF, AGIB or BT. So I was hoping that if someone here is a big fan, you could let me know where I would get the most bang for my buck, so to speak, with Black Crowes. No problem if that's not really doable with this band, by the way. Thanks!

When I get into a band, I always start with the first album, and go from there.

Like Wilco, their sound has changed over time. Warpaint live is just a live version of the Warpaint album. They do have a so-called Greatest Hits album, but I think it would be easier for you just to dig around on Youtube and check out some songs.

If you wanted to just buy some albums, I would get The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion, Amorica, and Before the Frost...Until the Freeze.

Croweology may be a good start. It has the current lineup doing their old catalog, acoustically. For a double cd, it's rather cheap, too.

calvino, you beat me to suggesting this. it's a good one to start with, then when you find the ones you really dig, go dredge up the particular album that track was originally found on. i'll tell ya, though: you can't go wrong. their stuff is damn good.

i rate it like this:

southern is their best

amorica is probably my fave.

I agree that 'Southern' is amazing but I really feel that 'Before the Frost....Until the Freeze' is the most complete album they have made. I really love that record.

'Amorica' I've never warmed to as much for some reason. Its very good but doesn't hit the same spots as the other two.

Found this by the way of the BC Tour Blog - Steve's tweets from the Snowmass Festival. Guess he liked watching Wilco.

# Great.

8:43 PM Sep 3rd via txt

# Seriously- this is ridiculous.

8:43 PM Sep 3rd via txt

# Watching Wilco in Snowmass. Wow.

8:26 PM Sep 3rd via txt