New My Morning Jacket Album!!!

• Replies 709
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I still haven't heard the record, but that will all change when I get home tonight..

So I guess the general concensus is that The new MMJ album Sucks Balls and not in that "hey, maybe this is genius" kind of way...?

nothing on this record sounds like Prince per se

Not that there's anything wrong with sounding like Prince :). I know what you're saying though. Heck, Smokey, Al Green, and Tiny Tim were using a falsetto voice long before Prince. Anyway.

Apropos of nothing: I'd venture to say that Prince's best records--Purple Rain and Sign o' the Times--eclipse anything MMJ have done so far.

Guest Jules
There is usually so much reverb on Jim's voice that I have no idea what he's saying anyway...I'm not in it for the lyrics.

Same here. He has also said (ACL TV interview I think) that he writes lyrics last, after the music.

I like the music and I'm fine with the falsetto and lack of reverb. As others have pointed out, it's the lyrics that I'm having trouble with right now. Some are really, really bad. I remember people having concerns about some of the lyrics on SBS. Many would never forgive Tweedy if he wrote the lyrics on Evil Urges.

i hate that high falsetto = automatically "sounds like Prince", it's a lazy ass comparison imo

nothing on this record sounds like Prince per se

Really? The chorus on evil urges has prince style phrasing. The bridge is high falsetto and doesn't remind me of prince but the chorus certainly does. At least reminds me of Gene Ween's impersonation of Prince.

Of course lots of singers have sung falsetto prior to prince, its the grooves with the vocals that are giving me that vibe, and sex lyrics (but nothing new there for MMJ).

As for not listening to music for the lyrics. If these you can't write why open your mouth? I can think of tons of emotional vocals were they were spouting drivel but in the long term it devalues the artistic value.

The Grateful Dead are a great example of a band that couldn't write great lyrics but had the knack for music, so what did they do? They found a poet. No shame in that and overall it made the music ten times more effective and separates it from the whole jam band scene.

Ok, so here's my take on the album so far.

To quote my earlier post

"so I guess the general concensus is that The new MMJ album Sucks Balls and not in that "hey, maybe this is genius" kind of way...?

I've only listened to the album twice in it's entirety, but maybe this album truly is genius. I don't really think they are going in a new direction, but they just really went out on a limb with this one.. The first two songs are my favorite of the album.. I agree that Jim does remind me of Prince on those tunes.. "Highly Suspicious"... Ummmm.. I'm gonna skip that one.. But hey, I get a good laugh out of it. "I'm Amazed" kind of sounds like REO Speedwagon or something, but it's a great song. And I don't have time to review the rest right now, but so far, I LOVE this album...

AWESOME, JULES!! will be a booty-shakin' good time! :dancing

i keep wondering if going to just one day of coachella to see them is worth it...yes yes yes!

I just got a nice little package of tix for Louisville today. Sure will be nice camping out all day in summer weather versus Chicago in February.

i'll have to see about this.

southwest: midway to louisville...YOU CAN DO EET!! :pirate

and you can stay with me and wendy!

also: i am wearing a cool kathleen lolley "loooooville" t-shirt today. I'M FEELIN IT!

I just got a nice little package of tix for Louisville today. Sure will be nice camping out all day in summer weather versus Chicago in February.

pack fewer pair of socks, to be sure. :dancing