Pretty similar. Saw shows from '87-'96 or '97, then none until they started playing Dick's (2011?).

I'm just like you dudes. I started in 91 and then basically was obsessed from 92-00.  I was lucky enough to see them in bars and small places. The setlists back then were nuts, as you can imagine.  I remember a show in 98, can't remember, but I left early and was just exhausted.  The band had just started YEM and I could not stomach the vocal jam coming up.  Went to one show in 99 and one of the comebacks in 02.  Finally went to a show in 13 and it was so surreal seeing all these young kids. Not to mention the whole new Phish culture that had developed.  Wookies and shit??  It was also quite sad and nostalgic for me for various reasons. The band I had seen in the 90s was no longer around.  That was okay.  I was/am fine with the boys playing easier songs (chalkdust, mama dance) and the more chill jams.  However, the constant fuck ups are just so hard to take.  I don't know why it was part of the deal and accepted with the Dead.  They started out as a loose band.  Phish, on the other hand, started as a high energy machine with gags, gimmicks and complex music.  You can't get away with half assing that stuff later in the band's life.  At least not for me.  I think in the 90s we just got so used to phish.  seeing several shows at a time in a tristate area was common and every show was mind blowing.  I talked to Mike several times as he would come out and chill with the crowd.

Lawn Boy and Rift are two of my favorite albums of all time.  I remember we were so excited about Hoist given what Rift was.  Alas, Hoist was an absolute disappointment.  Billy, Ghost and Farmhouse were great.  Round Room had potential if the band had actually released a recorded album and not some studio demo.  The last several have had a few gems.  THE best thing they've done since 2002 is that Haunted House set.

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, i'm doing one a year.  i don't buy tickets.  just get one in the lot, usually for less than face.  it's kind of nice not being so nervous about getting tickets and traveling etc. i'm lucky to live in a city they play every year. to be honest though, i wish i was seeing the Grateful Dead once a year.  Would probably be 5 though :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Miss You on the set list and thought it was the Stones tune -- forgot that Phish has a new tune name Miss You.

It's interesting that Weir sang a lot of the verses last night.

Yeah, and then Weir did NOT take lead vocals on Playin' or the Quinn encore. Pretty good stuff right there!

• 2 weeks later...

It's Halloween, Phish covering Ziggy Stardust tonight. Great choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

https://twitter.com/lawngurl/status/793257374152654848/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

A fine choice I suppose if you're going to cover an album, but I thought they were done with that concept after Wingsuit in 13 and Thrilling Chilling in 14. I don't think the album suits their strengths, or that the album's theme's are particularly relevant for the band (as Exile was). And the character Ziggy is bigger than the album itself, and Bowie's tours as Ziggy made it legendary. You're in Vegas, and you're not going out there in full Ziggy regalia? What's the point. I would've had fun if I was there, and those first 3 Vegas shows are legendary, but this album will rank low in Halloween lore. And I think the album reflects a year in which the band was in the midst of an identity crisis, with a weak summer tour and a dreadful album. They're trying to be something they're not.

A fine choice I suppose if you're going to cover an album, but I thought they were done with that concept after Wingsuit in 13 and Thrilling Chilling in 14. I don't think the album suits their strengths, or that the album's theme's are particularly relevant for the band (as Exile was). And the character Ziggy is bigger than the album itself, and Bowie's tours as Ziggy made it legendary. You're in Vegas, and you're not going out there in full Ziggy regalia? What's the point. I would've had fun if I was there, and those first 3 Vegas shows are legendary, but this album will rank low in Halloween lore. And I think the album reflects a year in which the band was in the midst of an identity crisis, with a weak summer tour and a dreadful album. They're trying to be something they're not.

I think it's still relevant to the band. Note the hug Page gives to Trey after "Ziggy Stardust." Trey was a larger-than-life guy who also fell to Earth with the whole drugs debacle and rose again a la Ziggy to be where he is today. Very cool choice and not just a nod to Bowie, imo.

I think it's still relevant to the band. Note the hug Page gives to Trey after "Ziggy Stardust." Trey was a larger-than-life guy who also fell to Earth with the whole drugs debacle and rose again a la Ziggy to be where he is today. Very cool choice and not just a nod to Bowie, imo.

I agree with everything you wrote, yet I can write counterpoints explaining why I still think it is a bad choice. Phish is a multifaceted band, and the side this album shows doesn't play to my preferences. It is what it is. I was at the 14 Halloween show, which was a rock n roll cream dream for me. The bar is high. Better luck for me next time around. I bet it was a blast, just wish Fishman dressed as Ziggy.

http://www.phishjustjams.com/

pretty cool site that just has the jams from most shows that are available.  i think it's all aud recordings.  i've been skipping to the jams lately, so this just does it for you.  trying to go through 2.0.  some good stuff there.  also, tom marshall is starting a new podcast called under the scales.  i think it comes out tomorrow.  might be cool to hear his perspective on things.

• 4 weeks later...

Probably of no significance to anyone but me, but today is the 19th anniversary of the Runaway Jam show in Worcester. The longest single song performance. We went as a family outing, my son was 7, my daughter 10 and my wife. First Phish show for all of them. Still remembered for the guy next to my son shaking his dirty dreadlocks in his face all night :)  And for the shit show of a scene outside getting into the Centrum doors, which def freaked my kids a little. Don't know if my daughter ever saw Phish again, but my son and wife certainly logged many more after that night.

http://www.jambase.com/article/phish-plays-nearly-hour-long-rendition-runaway-jim-date-1997

Probably of no significance to anyone but me, but today is the 19th anniversary of the Runaway Jam show in Worcester. The longest single song performance. We went as a family outing, my son was 7, my daughter 10 and my wife. First Phish show for all of them. Still remembered for the guy next to my son shaking his dirty dreadlocks in his face all night :)  And for the shit show of a scene outside getting into the Centrum doors, which def freaked my kids a little. Don't know if my daughter ever saw Phish again, but my son and wife certainly logged many more after that night.

http://www.jambase.com/article/phish-plays-nearly-hour-long-rendition-runaway-jim-date-1997

Oh hell yeah I'm all about the Jim Symphony. Listen to it every year!

• 9 months later...

Been enjoying listening to Mike Gordon's latest OGOGO. Very poppy.

He is playing a somewhat small club (Metro) in October, anybody ever catch one his solo shows. His band looks pretty great.

Performers: Mike Gordon, Scott Murawski, Robert Walter, John Kimock, Craig Myers

Been enjoying listening to Mike Gordon's latest OGOGO. Very poppy.

He is playing a somewhat small club (Metro) in October, anybody ever catch one his solo shows. His band looks pretty great.

I've never had any interest in seeing his solo band, but after listening to this podcast, and seeing that lineup (wow!), I'm in.

• 3 months later...

Listening through the latest New Year's run - 28th sounding pretty good, esp. the 2nd Set.

Now on the 29th - really enjoy I Always Wanted It This Way - guess it's a Page tune - I think I listened to the Big Boat record once - but not familiar enough at all with any of the tunes. 

No Men In No Man's Land  (another Big Boat tune, I guess ) was highlight on night 1, too ---- it's nice that they are still writing some interesting tunes.

The new years run was pretty excellent overall, and finished off a strong year for them, particularly if you lived in the NYC area, with 17 shows at MSG. First set on 12/30 and first two sets on 12/31 were highlights. 3rd set was up and down, as is often the case.

I thought Fuego was a great album, and was really disappointed with Big Boat. They got pushed outside their comfort zone, tried to write songs meaningful songs, which is not their strong suit. Some of them are ok live once you get past the composed part and get to the jam. At least they are still getting it done live, but these emotional/cliche'd tunes are not the band I fell in love with 25 years ago.

The new years run was pretty excellent overall, and finished off a strong year for them, particularly if you lived in the NYC area, with 17 shows at MSG. First set on 12/30 and first two sets on 12/31 were highlights. 3rd set was up and down, as is often the case.

I thought Fuego was a great album, and was really disappointed with Big Boat. They got pushed outside their comfort zone, tried to write songs meaningful songs, which is not their strong suit. Some of them are ok live once you get past the composed part and get to the jam. At least they are still getting it done live, but these emotional/cliche'd tunes are not the band I fell in love with 25 years ago.

I’m not a Big Boat fan either, but I also have zero expectations that they’re gonna write a bunch of bizarre, goofy jazz-funk-bluegrass songs like they did three decades ago. They’re not in their 20’s anymore and they’re not trying to conquer the world. Like another band we love around here, they’ve mellowed with age on record and continue to be a great live act.

I’m not a Big Boat fan either, but I also have zero expectations that they’re gonna write a bunch of bizarre, goofy jazz-funk-bluegrass songs like they did three decades ago. They’re not in their 20’s anymore and they’re not trying to conquer the world. Like another band we love around here, they’ve mellowed with age on record and continue to be a great live act.

Like I said, I liked Fuego a lot, and that was released less than 2 years before Big Boat, I believe. So they have the potential to evolve as a band and still write good tunes at times - their jamming styles certainly has evolved. Unfortunately that is often not the case with the songs, with intricacy, mania, humor, and non-sense being replaced with overly earnest, simplistic, and cliched verse, chorus, verse songs. That is not the band I fell in love with, and such a drastic departure from their identity, I can't help but react strongly to the new songs. If your expectations for a band do not include, "don't be terrible," maybe your expectations are a little low? I don't think that's asking too much.

Don't see the comparison to Wilco. They've largely retained their identity, and evolved in their songwriting. Schmilco may not be held up among their best, but it is keeping with their character.