Like I said, I liked Fuego a lot, and that was released less than 2 years before Big Boat, I believe. So they have the potential to evolve as a band and still write good tunes at times - their jamming styles certainly has evolved. Unfortunately that is often not the case with the songs, with intricacy, mania, humor, and non-sense being replaced with overly earnest, simplistic, and cliched verse, chorus, verse songs. That is not the band I fell in love with, and such a drastic departure from their identity, I can't help but react strongly to the new songs. If your expectations for a band do not include, "don't be terrible," maybe your expectations are a little low? I don't think that's asking too much.

Don't see the comparison to Wilco. They've largely retained their identity, and evolved in their songwriting. Schmilco may not be held up among their best, but it is keeping with their character.

Then just listen to the abundantly available recordings from the 1990s.

My comparison is that they’re both band with long, storied careers that have mellowed a bit on record, but continue to be a successful live act. Yes, Schmilco may be more “in character” with Wilco, but it’s still quite tame compared to the records they made 15-20 years ago. They’re seasoned musicians with little left to prove and have the freedom to follow their muse.

Wilco’s identity is Jeff. That has remained constant (and John) but they don’t resemble the band of 1995 or 1997 or 1999 or 2002.

Phish still bring the goof-rock on the stage. To expect that they’re gonna deliver another Junta, Lawn Boy, Picture of Nectar, Rift, etc., in my view, is setting oneself up for consistent disappointment. It’s probably never going to happen again, but maybe it will. Doubtful.

• Replies 902
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm not being clear, but kind of seems like you're selectively responding to what I'm writing. 

There are abundant recordings from recent years I enjoy listening to. Their jamming has evolved really well even with Trey's decline in technical ability. I was at Tahoe Tweezer. I was at Halloween 2014. They're up there with the best I've seen them in 25 years. I thought Fuego was a great album that holds up with their best. There are still a few great songs here and there. But the ceiling is so high, and the bottom is so low (bad songs). I have very few expectations for the band at this point, it's all pretty much gravy. But I can't help from tasting the vomit in my mouth when they play garbage like Soul Planet. 

"We’re screaming through space on a Soul Planet…the wind is the music..and everyone’s together in this one big ocean–and the ocean is love."

It's ok to be offended by that. If anyone enjoys that, good for them. Do you attend Phish concerts hoping an Up with People halftime event breaks out? 

Maybe I'm not being clear, but kind of seems like you're selectively responding to what I'm writing.

There are abundant recordings from recent years I enjoy listening to. Their jamming has evolved really well even with Trey's decline in technical ability. I was at Tahoe Tweezer. I was at Halloween 2014. They're up there with the best I've seen them in 25 years. I thought Fuego was a great album that holds up with their best. There are still a few great songs here and there. But the ceiling is so high, and the bottom is so low (bad songs). I have very few expectations for the band at this point, it's all pretty much gravy. But I can't help from tasting the vomit in my mouth when they play garbage like Soul Planet.

"We’re screaming through space on a Soul Planet…the wind is the music..and everyone’s together in this one big ocean–and the ocean is love."

It's ok to be offended by that. If anyone enjoys that, good for them. Do you attend Phish concerts hoping an Up with People halftime event breaks out?

Soul Planet was actually pretty atrocious. Agreed there. I couch tour, and I do agree that the jamming evolution has had some interesting twists (ahem) and turns.

• 1 month later...

Love the FAQ for curveball so much...

Yeah, good stuff:

however, in the security’s judgment it appears that the amount of alcohol is excessive for the number of persons in the vehicle, or if anyone in the vehicle is under 21 years of age, or if Tim is there, the organizers reserve the right to deny entry of the vehicle and/or confiscate the alcohol. Full sized metal Kegs may not be brought onto the property, even if they are wearing full metal jackets. 

WILL THERE BE A SEASON 3 OF “STRANGER THINGS”?

Yes.

I am curious how you police that. I guess they will have people going around checking things out. 

They do. They've been doing it for years. A crew working the lot(s). An old friend Amy used to be in charge of that for them.

They do. They've been doing it for years. A crew working the lot(s). An old friend Amy used to be in charge of that for them.

Curious if you know if vendors pay the band for a licence or the municipality the show is in? Or do they pay anything at all. 

Curious if you know if vendors pay the band for a licence or the municipality the show is in? Or do they pay anything at all. 

Which vendors? The official ones? If so, I don't know. I know that the Phish merchandising crew would, and still do, I believe, roam the lots. General rule=if it doesn't say "Phish" on it, the logo, or band me,member images then it's usually not a big deal. I know that using the venue name on lot merchandise is usually frowned upon and open to confiscation, as well, but at Dick's it's everywhere....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Guessing the band has insurance for stuff like this, right? A few days ago, I read that the area is a state of emergency until August 21st or something. 

Was wondering if they were going to be able pull it off. Feel bad for the band and crew.

It being my birthday this weekend I was planning on ordering the webcast.

I think I will stay away from Phish sites this weekend -- guessing there will be some gripes -- nothin' worse than whiny Phish phans - god love 'em....

Just threw on Billy Breathes -- been a long while.

Guessing the band has insurance for stuff like this, right? A few days ago, I read that the area is a state of emergency until August 21st or something. 

Was wondering if they were going to be able pull it off. Feel bad for the band and crew.

It being my birthday this weekend I was planning on ordering the webcast.

I think I will stay away from Phish sites this weekend -- guessing there will be some gripes -- nothin' worse than whiny Phish phans - god love 'em....

Just threw on Billy Breathes -- been a long while.

Huge bummer for all the fans who traveled from far and wide, and those who spent tons of $$ to rent RV's. Always good to listen to Billy Breathes. There was a recent podcase celebrating the 20th anniversary of the release of BB, they had Trey on the phone for about an hour talking about it. Great stuff. 

Yeah - I didn't mean be flippant about the fans -- it's definitely a bummer for them, too.

But I am guessing a few of them are blaming the band - which is a shame, if that is the case.

Billy Breathes came out when I starting dating my wife - she bought it because she knew I liked Phish.  The cassette was in her car player a lot the 1st year we were together. Must admit she always enjoyed it more than I did ( I was still stuck in the early 90's) - but I never asked her to play something else. A lot of great tunes on it.

Would you mind sharing a link to the 20th anniversary podcast? -- thx.

Now onto Rift.

Yeah - I didn't mean be flippant about the fans -- it's definitely a bummer for them, too.

But I am guessing a few of them are blaming the band - which is a shame, if that is the case.

Billy Breathes came out when I starting dating my wife - she bought it because she knew I liked Phish.  The cassette was in her car player a lot the 1st year we were together. Must admit she always enjoyed it more than I did ( I was still stuck in the early 90's) - but I never asked her to play something else. A lot of great tunes on it.

Would you mind sharing a link to the 20th anniversary podcast? -- thx.

Now onto Rift.

More discussion on twitter that I saw of people donating unused food and water to local food banks and other agencies than fans throwing tantrums. There were a few melts but most people seemed understandably bummed and accepting of the situation.

That's great to see. Listened the 1st set of 8/3/18 from Alpharetta, GA. They are definitely sounding good.

Kinda surprised that there are still floor seat available for all three Allstate shows.

That's great to see. Listened the 1st set of 8/3/18 from Alpharetta, GA. They are definitely sounding good.

Kinda surprised that there are still floor seat available for all three Allstate shows.

Three shows in Rosemont sounds depressing. Too bad there isn't a better indoor venue in the Chicago area. I guess UIC is just a bit too small, United Center too big. 

$229 for a floor seat ain't cheap...that's all I can pull for Sunday's show...

You are right -- it shows that GA tickets are still available, but when you click to buy - it states not available. I didn't click on the purchase tab, yesterday.