Tweedy in the NY Times...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having suffered with chronic depression and occasional panic disorder (never migraines), this post was right on the mark for me. And reminded me of all the reasons SBS transported me into a better place in life last summer.

Ironically....and this is just my own observation.... you can see how the healthier Jeff has become, the more frail he seems in some ways. Maybe frail is the wrong word. Vulnerable? Good mental health seems to bring a dose of humility and recognition of one's mortality, whereas being 'in a bad place' is more congruent with the supposed swaggering rock'n'roll lifestyle b.s., i.e. self delusions.

Either way, the next time you feel compelled to diss Sky Blue Sky, try re-reading that article. I would hate for anyone to have to walk a mile in Jeff's (old) shoes. And I mean that sincerely.

A. ...it's immune to any sort of...

B. Literary criticism? Your response of "i was expecting a much more articulate and flowing article than that" being branded literary criticism is an overstatement of cosmic proportions, at best. The suggestion, I think, is that your response contained a significant amount of "dickitude" considering it was simply JT sharing his experiences with migraines, anxiety, and addiction. He created a piece of expository writing in order to share his experiences; he wasn't writing to impress anyone with his composition skills or literary prowess.

A. Touche.

B. Fair enough, I should not have used the terminology "literary criticism." At the very least, I was expressing my opinion regarding the style in which the piece was written. Expecting something better written from Jeff isn't a crime. It also doesn't mean I think the story has no value; It was just my initial reaction to the writing.

Just because a piece of writing has emotional value' date=' its immune to any sort of literary criticism?[/quote']

thing is, it's not meant to be "literary", which happeningstone already made clear and which you already fairly acknowledged.

i'm not going to lie, Jeff's writing style struck me as off as well, but after a good ten seconds it struck me as completely irrelevant.

it's obvious that this was meant to be more of a conversational and modestly informative piece, and in that case, it succeeds.

respectfully

aes

I just went and looked at the piece; he wasn't writing at all.

In a conversation this month, Tweedy spoke about how migraines and mood disorders impacted his childhood, his musical career and his creative and personal life.
Dear mods:

Please change 65days's member title to "wet blanket".

Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Best regards,

caliber

:lol

Have I told you lately how much I love you?

It's a freakin' blog....and we spend our time yakking on message boards. Not exactly bastions of academia. :lol

Having suffered with chronic depression and occasional panic disorder (never migraines), this post was right on the mark for me. And reminded me of all the reasons SBS transported me into a better place in life last summer.

Either way, the next time you feel compelled to diss Sky Blue Sky, try re-reading that article. I would hate for anyone to have to walk a mile in Jeff's (old) shoes. And I mean that sincerely.

I think this is why I'm in the pro-SBS camp; when compared to their other albums, this one seems to have come from a more mentally healthy person. "Either Way" and "You are My Face" especially. Anyone who's went through the recovery process for panic disorder has lived both of those songs.

Likewise, they've lived "Hell is Chrome", and it's beautiful and chilling and has also left me choked up many times.

Teacheringstone, have I mentioned how much I adore you? :thumbup

65days offered his opinion - big deal. I recall an interview with Kurt Cobain in which he complained that folks viewed and treated him like a damaged little sensitive schizophrenic Pisces boy, forever in need of being defended - fragile - he went on to express his disdain for how this made him feel, and how inaccurate it was - I get that feeling here at times - every time someone dares criticize Jeff or the band, the same cast of characters rush(es) to their/his defense, casting dispersions, levying personal attacks against anyone who dares offer a contrarian viewpoint - relax, Jeff is ok, and, in all likelihood, isn

65days offered his opinion - big deal. I recall an interview with Kurt Cobain in which he complained that folks viewed and treated him like a damaged little sensitive schizophrenic Pisces boy, forever in need of being defended - fragile - he went on to express his disdain for how this made him feel, and how inaccurate it was - I get that feeling here at times - every time someone dares criticize Jeff or the band, the same cast of characters rush(es) to their/his defense, casting dispersions, levying personal attacks against anyone who dares offer a contrarian viewpoint - relax, Jeff is ok, and, in all likelihood, isn
Seriously, thank you.

I was just about to say: I didn't attack or insult anyone, but everyone is jumping at me like I did. It's also funny that most people are judging my entire character based on a few posts. God forbid someone actually provide an alternative standpoint.

I don't really think the probably people have with you and Treehugger is what you say, its how you say. 65days, there have been quite a few times where you'll just jump onto a thread, give a short negative review of something without clarification, and go on your merry way, which is bound to irk people. For example, saying "MMJ and all jam bands suck" in a thread of people who like MMJ is not going to win you any fans. Sure, its just your opinion, but its your opinion presented in a rude way and people are bound to think you are just being ignorant or trying to bait people.

And treehugger, you almost always have interesting things to say and good points, but you are really good at using your language to irk people who disagree with you.

I don't really think the probably people have with you and Treehugger is what you say, its how you say. 65days, there have been quite a few times where you'll just jump onto a thread, give a short negative review of something without clarification, and go on your merry way, which is bound to irk people. For example, saying "MMJ and all jam bands suck" in a thread of people who like MMJ is not going to win you any fans. Sure, its just your opinion, but its your opinion presented in a rude way and people are bound to think you are just being ignorant or trying to bait people.

That is true, and I probably shouldn't make such a habit of it. However, ultimately, the reason I visit these boards is to express my opinion. And although my posts can be exasperating and irrational, they are never attacks against the other posters in certain threads, but the majority of the time people take it personally. I've also found that for the most part, if I pose a differing viewpoint it's immediately labeled as wrong just because its different. I may believe in A. You may believe in B. That doesn't make one or the other wrong, it just makes them different.

And my godd i sound preachy and cliche.

And treehugger, you almost always have interesting things to say and good points, but you are really good at using your language to irk people who disagree with you.

Thank you and fair enough, but, I rarely throw the first punch - so to speak.

I

I can NOT imagine having to put on a show with a migraine, it would be utterly unbearable.

No kidding. At times when I have a migraine, any loud noise or bright light is absolutely unbearable -- it's a guranteed way to make me vomit. I think the singing/playing part wouldn't be so bad -- I find that anything I can do to take my mind off the migraine can be helpful -- but the noise and lights of a show . . .

I once had a migraine come on while I was in court, right before I had to give an appellate argument. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but after I was done, it was 100 times worse. The adrenaline and nervous energy that often times feels pretty good after an argument just made things one-hundred times worse.

i mean, jeff is such a talented, fluent songwriter, i was expecting a significantly better written article. thats all.

how could it have been written better? I'm not defending the guy, I just think it's funny you expect everyone to believe you're perfectly innocent, when your initial remarks are obviously aggressive to a degree and offer no thoughts on why you even thought it was a bad article. the article plots itself out very nicely and you can get a great sense of voice from the writing. you can really get a sense of how Jeff's head was working during some of those years. not to say you're not allowed to disagree, but I think you're just trying too hard to be contradictory.

Migraines are horrid! I had at least 2 a month. Course I should have guessed I'd get them because in grade school up til high school I had horrible headaches quite often. My brother and mother did as well...now my brother and I both get migraines. I'm not sure how often he gets them though since we haven't talked about it. I just know I hate having them, I hate taking excedrin migraine because when i take a nap after taking the pills I wake up feeling like I have no muscle tone or any energy to do anything. Like BigWheelWagon I have problems with light/sound when I have migraines. But I generally have a lot of light problems because I have light green eyes and tend to have issues driving at night..which actually is a reason I bought the Jeep and gave up on getting a VW..because I wanted to be higher up so I could stop some of the light problems, helps but not always, tend to put my hand over the drivers side mirror to block light. Sorry long story here...anyway I can see trying to find ANY way to knock the migraines out. There needs to be better medications or ways of stopping them out there for all of us who have them. Have to say I'm lucky though, in that I feel nauseous but have never actually gotten that sick from one.

Oblivious summed up the reasoning behind my post. It has nothing to do with Jeff worship - as anyone who was a member when I joined (and cares enough to remember) can attest, my entree to the board was to defend a guy whom Jeff tried to kick in the head at a concert in 2002.

Link?