Tweedy in the NY Times...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He did a nice job on that. Glad he's doing better.

"(this is also a trait I've noticed: once you have time to fall apart you fall apart very quickly)"

This has to be the best statement I have ever read. It sums up in short, eloquent, poignant words what I experienced at the end of last/beginning of this year. I think the most important thing about this is that, once you've realized the a.m. automatism, you can get out of it a lot easier.

Thank you Jeff, for putting into very few words what Psychologists need hours of sessions for, and most of all for not hesitating to share those words with us. :worship

I go back to that Austin show in 2002 before the ACL fest, when Jeff had to leave the stage to vomit. The band sorta tried to laugh it off, blaming it on the smell from the bat bridge. Jeff came back and worked through the rest of the set, toughing it out. They came back for an encore, and there was one point during Calif. Stars with Gary Louris that Jeff's face broke out into a broad smile, as if the pain had lifted for just that moment.

Jeff joked about it the next day at the Fest, which made it easy to make light of. But I still remember the look of intense pain on his face the night before.

As someone who used to suffer from (thankfully rare, but) debilitating migraines, and as someone who knows very well the vicious cycle of actively trying to avoid them but bringing them on by doing so, that article hit home pretty hard. Not sure why, but I got choked up at the end. And now all I can think about is:

This world of words and meanings makes you feel

outside

Something that you feel already

deep inside

You

That article alone was better than "Learning How To Die". My Doc once asked me what I would do if these feelings never went away?

I think we have the same doc, as I've been asked that same question. At the time, my answer was pretty fucking ugly.

And you know what, they don't, you learn to deal and cope. I will admit that I have relapsed in the last several years, but not as frequent and every day is getting better. This article made me feel really good. And congrats to our brother man Jeff! Your one strong trooper! :cheekkiss

Yessir!

I'm really glad he opened up about what happened four years ago. About a year after Jeff's hospitalization, I hit a huge wall with my own panic and anxiety disorders. Cheesy as it may sound, it was "YHF" and "AGIB" that gave me some insight into what was going on in my brain while I went through the horribly rough process of therapy. Songs like "War on War", "Less Than You Think", "Ashes of American Flags" articulated so much of what I was feeling, and where my head was. Panic and anxiety can be so lonely and isolating, and can make the sufferer feel like such a loser and freak. Those songs gave me something to which I could relate.

I'm glad to see this update. Jeff's obviously progressed. I've progressed.

My daughter had her 4-year check-up today. Her doctor said that she's showing signs of having an "anxious" personality. While I'm not thrilled with this news, I know that there's a good chance she won't go through the same degree of crazy I did because of the advances that have been made in knowing how the brain works. I hope that I'm able to parent her in a way that makes it easier for her to cope. I didn't gain those skills until I was in my 30s.

I noticed Jeff talks a lot in the article about self-observations and a lot of what he figured out about his issues came from his own reasoning, and also how less-than-competent doctors can sometimes make matters worse by misdiagnoses or medicating when maybe medication isn't quite correct. Does anyone know of a public forum anywhere online where people can share their observations and their issues and maybe seek help from others with similar conditions? I feel like this is a really positive way to deal with things. Just having a way to relate to others and learn from people with similar problems sounds really helpful.

I know there's a lot of boards pertaining to depression and anxiety. This is more from the pharmacological standpoint, but I like Crazy Meds. Very informative, entertaining and good for seeing how others deal with these conditions.

It was through some things I read on that site that I realized I was having a really adverse reaction to an antidepressant about two years ago. I was able to get in touch with my doctor before things got too out of hand, but that wouldn't have been the case had I not been following the Crazy Meds forums.

I noticed Jeff talks a lot in the article about self-observations and a lot of what he figured out about his issues came from his own reasoning, and also how less-than-competent doctors can sometimes make matters worse by misdiagnoses or medicating when maybe medication isn't quite correct. Does anyone know of a public forum anywhere online where people can share their observations and their issues and maybe seek help from others with similar conditions? I feel like this is a really positive way to deal with things. Just having a way to relate to others and learn from people with similar problems sounds really helpful.

Oh, you are so, so right! Sharing these experiences really helps people to not feel as though they are going crazy and a public forum would help so much. I was introduced to Wilco in 2002 and of course loved their music. Then, after the birth of my 3rd child, I started having insane migraines which led to insane panic attacks. The pain is so outrageous, It literally feels as though my head will explode. I've called 911 as well, my husband has driven me to the er, etc. It's a terrible cycle.

I had first seen Wilco live when I was pregnant with my 3rd in 04, but after that, I was too busy having migraines and panic attacks to find time for concerts, let alone trying to be a good mom and wife. Last spring, I found out I had missed a Wilco show in my hometown, and I was so disappointed. I came home and was bound and determined to find out how I could be so clueless. I had no idea about VC. Instead of finding a show close to my house, Google told me that Jeff Tweedy suffered from the same crap I put up with. For the first time in my life, I was reading that I was not the only person suffering from this and I thought to myself geez, if Tweedy is going through this, I don't feel quite so pathetic anymore! I actually felt better knowing I wasn't the only one, not to mention, our favorite musician had the exact same problems. You (konev1) are so right that a public forum, (and even Tweedy's article), would help so many others who suffer. I have also thought that my husband (and maybe even Jeff's wife) would benefit from a forum to vent, etc.

I have often wondered if Jeff still gets migraines. It seems like no matter how hard I try, those damn migraines can come on even when I am doing everything I can to prevent them. I chose the reverse route that he did. I started with and still do alternative health for my condition. I am one of those people who isn't big on pharmaceutical drugs, so I hate taking them unless I have to. I find myself getting frustrated because no matter how many vitamins I take, or how many sessions of acupuncture and visits to a chiropracter, I still end up having to rely on Relpax, Imitrex, and Vicoden, and when I do, I feel so disappointed in myself and often wonder, when I can get my life back without this shitty condition. And of course, when I am at a Wilco show, I am the fan wondering if JT has a headache. I am planning on attending the Tulsa show this Sat. with my friend who grew up there, but I can't even get excited about it because I am afraid I may get a migraine just from flying there, etc. I can NOT imagine having to put on a show with a migraine, it would be utterly unbearable.

At least I can put on Dora for my kids... no Dora for a Wilco show. :)

THANK YOU for posting this article, thanks a bunch.

As a human who has loved many addicts and also once upon a time migraine sufferer, I read through this article with tears in my eyes. Until a couple years ago, I had never known anyone who had recovered from addiction. My loved ones either carried on with abuse or died.

Every person that recovers from addiction is a hero in my book. Every person. Whether it's Jeff Tweedy or any of the other guys who were in treatment with him that are still clean. Especially those guys. But thanks Jeff, for being so honest and articulate. Keep telling your story. Redemption stories are my favorite kind.

Gabor Mate's new book on addiction looks really interesting and this article has inspired me to pick it up again.

This looks very interesting. "Hungry ghost" has long been one of the most evocative Buddhist descriptions to me. I will order this from my library tonight.

As a human who has loved many addicts and also once upon a time migraine sufferer, I read through this article with tears in my eyes. Until a couple years ago, I had never known anyone that had recovered from addiction. My loved ones either carried on with abuse or died.

Every person that recovers from addiction is a hero in my book. Every person. Whether it's Jeff Tweedy or any of the other guys who were in treatment with him that are still clean. Especially those guys. But thanks Jeff, for being so honest and articulate. Keep telling your story. Redemption stories are my favorite kind.

:cheekkiss

This looks very interesting. "Hungry ghost" has long been one of the most evocative Buddhist descriptions to me. I will order this from my library tonight.

I bought it on my lunch hour today and it looks like that book will be hard to put down. I'm actually halfway through another book of his right now.

this is a wonderful article..of all the interviews/pieces where jeff has talked about these issues, i think this is where his emotions and struggles and victories have come out the best. thanks for this jeff, and props to you for overcoming hard times and bettering yourself so successfully. its really something to be proud of

It seems like no matter how hard I try, those damn migraines can come on even when I am doing everything I can to prevent them. I chose the reverse route that he did. I started with and still do alternative health for my condition. I am one of those people who isn't big on pharmaceutical drugs, so I hate taking them unless I have to. I find myself getting frustrated because no matter how many vitamins I take, or how many sessions of acupuncture and visits to a chiropracter, I still end up having to rely on Relpax, Imitrex, and Vicoden, and when I do, I feel so disappointed in myself and often wonder, when I can get my life back without this shitty condition. And of course, when I am at a Wilco show, I am the fan wondering if JT has a headache. I am planning on attending the Tulsa show this Sat. with my friend who grew up there, but I can't even get excited about it because I am afraid I may get a migraine just from flying there, etc. I can NOT imagine having to put on a show with a migraine, it would be utterly unbearable.

At least I can put on Dora for my kids... no Dora for a Wilco show. :)

THANK YOU for posting this article, thanks a bunch.

You are definitely not alone. :cheekkiss

I do the same thing. Anytime I make vacation plans or even just plans to go to a show I always wonder if I will get a headache. I try so hard not to do it, but I do it anyway.

I have tried the no drugs route and it doesn't work for me. I, too, am disappointed by having to rely on pills. I'm almost to the point where I want to try acupuncture but am afraid.

I too went down the no drugs path for my depression and resulting panic attacks that I suffered in the mid 90s. I chose therapy -- and it was occasionally very intense -- to get to the root problem. I was so afraid that self-medication would just hide the problem and that I might kill myself before I could get better. Thankfully, it basically worked. I have PAs very rarely now, and depressive feelings are mostly a memory.

I described living with the panic attacks as having an elephant under the rug. My husband became so in tune with them that even when I tried to hide them he could hear my fear in my voice -- then our eyes would meet, and he would just know and then try to help me. Support from family is so important.

Thankfully migranes were never in the mix for me, but interestingly, I would always have a mild headache when the PA subsided. I came to love them.

For so long, there was and still is to some extent a huge stigma attached to having these problems. I hid my condition in every job I had. I lied and said I had had a car accident and had to go to physical therapy. No one questioned me, but I was terrified that someone would find out that I was somehow damaged and therefore not trustworthy. Articles like this help so much. We are not alone, and we can survive.

I still end up having to rely on Relpax, Imitrex, and Vicoden, and when I do, I feel so disappointed in myself and often wonder, when I can get my life back without this shitty condition.

I can NOT imagine having to put on a show with a migraine, it would be utterly unbearable.

Don't feel disappointed in yourself, it's a condition and no one can explain "why" people have migraines. It's not fair, but life isn't fair...

If you are into plants there is one that works on migraines, however the smell isn't pleasant, but it's a natural treatment. It's called Valerian.

I couldn't imagine putting on a show with a migraine either, I just couldn't imagine...

I like the line JT says "I honestly can not remember a time in my life when I did not have headaches." Reading the article made me think,

maybe things are connected that I never thought of like the migraines, the depression, the panic...

I know I do not dare leave home without "my imitrex," i call them my miracle pills :stunned

I'm greatful for a treatment that isn't a Narcotic because i have went down the road of "painkillers" and ending up in "rehab"...

i love the song "shot in the arm" but i don't really like to hear it cuz' it takes me back to a time in rehab that they would make it better with a shot in the arm,

and the shots were not pleasant...

Maggie Duffy, you can hopefully look forward to the migraines going away when you get older.

Menopause seems to change the chemicals in the body and some people do stop having them after menopause.

My mom "outgrew" hers, so there is hope for me one day, at least I like to think so...

I've learned that smells and my diet really does have an affect on my migraines and stress is the biggest trigger.

The worse part other than the pain is the way people treat you,

but if they have never suffered then they do not understand, which most people are afraid of what they don't understand...

Thanks JT and everyone that has shared, ya'll have given me some food for thought... :thumbup

i mean, jeff is such a talented, fluent songwriter, i was expecting a significantly better written article. thats all.

Apples and oranges.

I can write a newspaper article, but god help me if I try to write a poem/song.

Anyway, very honest and sincere piece.

i mean, jeff is such a talented, fluent songwriter, i was expecting a significantly better written article. thats all.

You should steer clear of Chronicles Vol. 1, then. Jeff's prose writing skills blow Dylan's away IMO, and I'd consider the latter to be the greatest lyric writer we've ever seen.

Guy bares his soul in hopes of helping others, and you offer a style critic. Nice.

A. Style critique.

B. Just because a piece of writing has emotional value, its immune to any sort of literary criticism? If I write a sentimental essay that is completely devoid of literary merit, is it not still subject to compositional analysis?

[quote name='Đ

Thanks so much for the article. Have a family full of people with mood problems and migraines (and I'm a psychologist!). Anyhow, Jeff Tweedy thanks - this menas a lot and will maybe reach out to a lot of people who have problems they aren't talking about. For me the most important thing is having people who love you. And another great thing, is having music and poetry, and some that is both. And some that is just a lot of fun. Thanks for that - helps a lot of us.

B. Just because a piece of writing has emotional value, its immune to any sort of literary criticism? If I write a sentimental essay that is completely devoid of literary merit, is it not still subject to compositional analysis?

A. ...it's immune to any sort of...

B. Literary criticism? Your response of "i was expecting a much more articulate and flowing article than that" being branded literary criticism is an overstatement of cosmic proportions, at best. The suggestion, I think, is that your response contained a significant amount of "dickitude" considering it was simply JT sharing his experiences with migraines, anxiety, and addiction. He created a piece of expository writing in order to share his experiences; he wasn't writing to impress anyone with his composition skills or literary prowess.