Illustration from an 1880s physics textbook that I used in a collage pendant that included the caption "I must call for the music". The caption was clipped from a line of text from a Victorian novel (Lucille, by Owen Meredith)

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only had 3 avatars in 2+ years.

:yes I've had the same avatar for much of my VC career, with the exception of the occasional holiday fun (currently: St. Patrick's Day!).

Full size St. Patrick's Day:

feet.jpg

And the superfab Xmas gogo by deepseacatfish:

Smarmy.jpg

Thomas A. Dorsey has plenty meaning, Sir Lou... it speaks volumes of your varied and impeccable taste.

Was just fucking around.....I figured no one hardly cares either way (except for you...) ....I have a few new ones up my sleeve, but haven't downloaded them yet...

Speaking of Thomas Dorsey....here is an interesting story that has nothing to do with him, but does have to do with Illinois politics....

The church where Dorsey was music director, the Pilgrim Baptist Church burned down a few years back, which is a tragedy in and of itself for about three or four different reasons, which won't be discussed here at the moment....

After the place burned down, our current Governor Blagojevitch, who is wrapped up in the Tony Resko issue (which may catch up with Obama as well) offered the church a million bucks to help rebuild. Somehow the money got sent to a private school instead that had been renting space at Pilgrim and now that news broke and the Governor is asking for it back. The story is more complex than that, apparently someone from the school was also tied up with Blago's fundraisers and also had a criminal record and was pardoned or had their record expunged by the Governors office. As soon as the actual church started to ask where its money was, then everyone started racing around trying to find out where the money went and asked for the million bucks back from the school that they now say belongs to the church. All of this is being covered by the papers and newspapers here.

All this in the great state of IL that is totally broke. (Blago offered 40 million to NIU, which of course he didn't have, so that they could tear down Cole Hall where the shooting was a couple weeks ago....that offer has now also been recinded.)

Anyway, perhaps the church where Dorsey helped invent gospel music at will someday be rebuilt, but who knows. If nothing else it is a musical landmark that few people knew about (including me) until it burned down and it was too late to see it. However the shell of the building is still there and is worth a visit.

LouieB

Guest Muncle Douchey
I've only had 3 avatars in 2+ years. The first one was Abbie Hoffman (a kindred spirit of mine to be sure). Then Woody Guthrie. This one (which I've had for well over a year) is the logo for the Grateful Dead's "Dick's Picks" series of live recordings. That's Dick Latvala (the now-deceased achivist of the Dead Vault) holding up a vintage reel-to-reel.

Someday I'll get a t shirt made of this.

i've always really liked your avatar, not knowing what it was.

mine = the most underappreciated talent of his generation.

Become a Tiger fan?

harharhar. No, she needs to get hit by a car for one world series win, and then get surgery to deal with the injuries from the first accident for the next one. Its all about spilling blood, and taking one for the team.

Become a Tiger fan?

:lol I was actually looking at a game, but it's because they're playing the Red Sox and a certain boy I know likes those dudes. Don't think it's gonna happen though; it's a mid-week series.

harharhar. No, she needs to get hit by a car for one world series win, and then get surgery to deal with the injuries from the first accident for the next one. Its all about spilling blood, and taking one for the team.

At what point in the season?

:lol I was actually looking at a game, but it's because they're playing the Red Sox and a certain boy I know likes those dudes. Don't think it's gonna happen though; it's a mid-week series.

At what point in the season?

well, i got hit on the first night of the series, but i had a whole bunch of other sad story shit happen during the season, the hit by car deal was just the beginning of the icing on the cake.

i've always really liked your avatar, not knowing what it was.

mine = the most underappreciated talent of his generation.

Yeah...he is a giant in the publishing world :monkey

This picture represents, to me, the two profound sides of the greatest songwriter of my generation:

The musical mastermind AND the poetic genius

THANK YOU JEFF TWEEDY!

Not to mention, it's a bad ass picture.....I mean look at it!! (close up and avatar size!)

tweedy2005-11-09.jpg

And kudos for that. Floyd might be my favorite member of The Electric Mayhem. Well done.

Electric Mayhem really had some good music. Honestly, I have been listening to the muppets music for about a month straight now just for personal enjoyment. I feel so lame...

I took this picture of Paul Westerberg a few years back. I loved everything about it: the hair, the sweat -- except it was dark and muddy once you got past the face. (The club didn't allow flash photography.) So I reshot it on polaroid film.