favorite guitar tones

Mick Taylor on most of Sticky Fingers...particularly on "Sway".

The Beatles' leads on "Everybody's Got Something To Hide" and "Revolution".

Marc Ford on "Sometimes Salvation".

The wah solo on "Haitian Divorce".

The distorto-grunge Neil Young tone on "Don't Cry" and the very end of "Eldorado".

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This should be obvious but Johnny Greenwood!!!! The Bends, bends my ears!! Ok Computer is all tone the Paranoid Andriod freakout!! Just for my sakes!!

I gotta see these guys live someday soon.

Nah. The Paranoid Android freakout sounds exactly like the stuff Gilmour was doing in "Astronomy Domine" live in 68-69.

Nah. The Paranoid Android freakout sounds exactly like the stuff Gilmour was doing in "Astronomy Domine" live in 68-69.

:yes Yeah - it may not be original, but if you're gonna steal, steal from the best. :thumbup

I know Poon and others mentioned Gilmour, but I've always been of the opinion that Dave's solo on "Time" might just be the most perfectly recorded solo ever. I always get this image of him standing in an open field, with stacks of amps as big as skyscrapers just blasting the sounds for miles and miles.

:yes Yeah - it may not be original, but if you're gonna steal, steal from the best. :thumbup

I know Poon and others mentioned Gilmour, but I've always been of the opinion that Dave's solo on "Time" might just be the most perfectly recorded solo ever. I always get this image of him standing in an open field, with stacks of amps as big as skyscrapers just blasting the sounds for miles and miles.

Or at least in the ruins of Pompeii! :dancing

hahha yeah that might be the coolest solo/tone ever.

Brinsley Schwarz

Perfect. Tele. Tone.

Check out his tone on "Dry Land".

Jam-era Paul Weller.

Some of the tones on Wild Wood are pretty spectacular, too.

Lots of great ones so far.

I've never heard anything but great tone from Derek Trucks. Even when he was 14.

John McLaughlin on "A Tribute to Jack Johnson".

Marc Ribot on "Rain Dogs"

Richard Thompson's solo on "Shoot Out the Lights" slays me every time.

I've never heard anything but great tone from Derek Trucks. Even when he was 14.

Word. I remember the first time I saw him walk out onstage and sit in with the ABB when he was like 16 or something. I kind of rolled my eyes and figured "Well, this should be awkward..." And then the frigging kid held his own just fine with Dickey and Warren. And he's just gotten better since then. Dude is like Buddah on that guitar. He'll sit stone still and stare a hole in the floor while those otherworldly sounds come from his guitar. He appears to be on a whole different level than most people operate on.

Billy Gibbons --- La Grange

Mark Knopfler --- Sultans of Swing

Jonny Greenwood --- Just

Whoever the guy is from Clover who plays on Elvis Costello's "My Aim is True". Fantastic guitar sounds, and playing. Allison. Watching the Detectives. That album is overflowing with great guitar tones.

Nick Drake - the guy had an amazingly consistent and well articulated guitar sound.

Paul Westerberg - Eyes Like Sparks (the sound on this one kills me)

Curtis Mayfield

I'm going to throw Paul McCartney's bass in the mix. Everything he did after he got the Rickenbacker in 65 pretty much defined how rock bass playing was supposed to sound. Goeff Emerick should get much of the credit for this. I'd say credit should be split between the Rickenbacker bass (God, what a smooth and heavy bottom end), Geoff and Paul himself.

Marc Ribot on "Rain Dogs

Good call.

Curtis Mayfield

Ditto. Open F#. Add wah.

He's not one of my favorite guitar players, and they are not even in my top 100 as a band, but what about Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac? He gets a great tone, mainly, I think, because he doesn't use a pick.

He's not one of my favorite guitar players, and they are not even in my top 100 as a band, but what about Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac? He gets a great tone, mainly, I think, because he doesn't use a pick.

Lindsay Buckingham is a criminally overlooked guitarist.

Lindsay is great. Maybe he gets overlooked because most of those Fleetwood Mac songs are so vocally oriented? Maybe one of the things that make him so great is that you don't really notice him (unless you make a point to notice him) because his main concern is to serve the song rather than impress guitarists. He's kind of like Ringo in that way.

I was listening to King Crimson's Larks Tongue in Aspic the other night. Robert Fripp's playing (and tone) on Easy Money, particularly his lengthy improvised solo in the middle, are incredible.

I mentioned Ribot/Rain Dogs the other day. Today I was listening to Ribot's first "Cubanos Postizos" record. He got a beautiful tone on that one.

I'll start with my first rock guitar worship: Ace Frehley on KISS Alive! Especially on She. And Parasite.

From there: Zappa's '73-'74 output. Most notable songs, guitarwise: Inca Roads, Dirty Love, I'm The Slime, Montana, Po-Jama People, Zomby Woof. This stuff all just totally rips. I think he was playing a Strat, maybe someone can correct me.

I'm with you guys on Syd, too. Everything he did on Piper is amazing. I especially love the tone on Astronomy Domine.

Hendrix: I like the tone on Little Wing, because it's so different from most of Jimi's other stuff. Of course, all his other stuff is great, too. Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) has a nice, dirty sound.

Uncle Jerry: pretty much any Help>Slipknot>Franklin's configuration does it for me.

Van Halen freaks: how about some love for Light Up the Sky? The opening riff on that kicks major ass too.

Also, Bruce Cockburn, most notable unsung guitar hero. Check out his acoustic playing on any of his first 10 releases. Electric, check out the tone on Radio Shoes, Trouble With Normal or Burden of the Angel/Beast. His Live album is amazing.

Lindsay is great. Maybe he gets overlooked because most of those Fleetwood Mac songs are so vocally oriented? Maybe one of the things that make him so great is that you don't really notice him (unless you make a point to notice him) because his main concern is to serve the song rather than impress guitarists. He's kind of like Ringo in that way.

Check out some of his solo stuff. Last year's Under the Skin is fantastic. He plays most instruments on the album but his guitar style (acoustic finger-picking/strumming) is fairly unique.

I agree he's often overlooked/underrated.

I'll start with my first rock guitar worship: Ace Frehley on KISS Alive! Especially on She. And Parasite.

From there: Zappa's '73-'74 output. Most notable songs, guitarwise: Inca Roads, Dirty Love, I'm The Slime, Montana, Po-Jama People, Zomby Woof. This stuff all just totally rips. I think he was playing a Strat, maybe someone can correct me.

I saw Ace in concert a few weeks ago. I'm not a huge fan, but I thought he was excellent.

I'm not sure what Zappa used to record those tunes, but his main guitar for concerts during that period was a customized Gibson SG. This one (you can see him playing it on the "Dub Room Special" dvd):

frank_Bart2.jpg