Letters To Santa Living Room Show April 5, 2008

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Jules
Also, it's possible that Radio Cure, Handshake Drugs and Via Chicago haven't been played solo. Can someone check and let me know.

per wilcobase.com, for what it's worth...

Radio Cure - first time solo!

Via Chicago - many times, but only once since 2003 (Atlanta last year)

Handshake Drugs - only twice before, including 2006 LRS at Ken's

Guest Jules
31. All The Same To Me - Kevin

I really like this song.

I'm not very good at reviews, but I just wanted to say how great is was to meet everyone and enjoy this experience with all of you. I feel very fortunate to have been included. Truly one of the most memorable experiences of my life. My wife and I are still smiling. It's safe to say her Jeff/Wilco fandom took another step up after last night.

I'm sure others will recap in more detail (as Johnny has already), but the give and take between Jeff and Sue regarding our beloved message board was priceless. Basically Jeff giving us hell for spending so much time on here ("Please, do something else!"), followed by Sue's, "pot kettle black", calling him out for checking things here, etc. etc. Pretty funny. Leo finished the moment off by then requesting "Pot Kettle Black". :lol

I'm sure others will recap in more detail (as Johnny has already), but the give and take between Jeff and Sue regarding our beloved message board was priceless. Basically Jeff giving us hell for spending so much time on here ("Please, do something else!"), followed by Sue's, "pot kettle black", calling him out for checking things here, etc. etc. Pretty funny. Leo finished the moment off by then requesting "Pot Kettle Black". :lol

Thank you for including that for us who weren't there to hear about. That brings a smile to my face and totally cracks me up when I think about how many weird conversations we have...about our food habits...at least if we ever were asked to host a dinner for others we'd know exactly what to buy...mostly Trader Joe products along with various types of beer...as well as our hopes for who should be opening act if we have one...AND last but not least the fact that we all have our idea that this 3 nights at the Pageant is our own version of St Louis Mini Residency :blush

Neil Poongoogler having a few religious experiences handily playing a handful of songs with Jeff (who called him out on his screen name, for which Neil had no excuse).

:lol Neil had to work up the "courage" for this. He did Pieholden Suite and complained at the break that Jeff had played the chords in different positions that he was used to. When we explained that it was just different inversions, and really sounded great in the sound system juxtaposed to what Jeff was playing, he came back for four more songs in the second half. Kudos for a great performance. :rock

Jeff's complimentary examples of the Peanuts' Christmas-like native dancing styles of New Zealand, and his tributes to Glenn, Pat and Nels).

:rotfl This was hilarious. He was demonstrating how [badly] they dance in New Zealand. Supposedly, Glen's drum tech shot some footage that will appear in a YouTube video. Whoever finds this HAS to post it!!!

He wore a hat, and bowed and tipped it often.

He wore the same hat to the Wilco Ensemble LRS (where he never removed it) and to the Melbourne, Australia show I saw (where he likewise bowed and tipped it often) I think he picked up the technique in the southern hemisphere. He told me the hat is 40 years old, a recent acquisition, and he loves it. It's sort of like something you'd see worn by the good guy in a 1950's western. :thumbup

Really great to see all the people that returned from last year and the new arrrivals. Just a ton of fun! Many thanks to Erin and Morgan and their families :hug

As a first-time LRS attendee, it's hard to get my mind around the evening when it's been less han 24 hours since it happened. I feel very fortunate to have been there, and I can't wait to hear the recording to me remind of things I'm certain I've already forgotten.

There are few things that made last night really special for me:

First was Jeff playing my hubby's guitar for Love & Mercy (my request). I knew he'd been given a "heads up" that I was interested in having him do this, but I could see I wasn't going to have a chance to talk to him about it before the show. I didn't want to put him on the spot in the middle, so I assumed it wasn't going to work out. When it was my turn to request and I named Love & Mercy, Jeff asked, "Isn't there a special guitar or something for this one?" I was stunned. (Thanks, Neil, for the grabbing the guitar for me! Once I handed it off to you, I had lost track of it.) How kind of him to not only honor my request but to remember it and pursue it during the show. I find the gesture incredibly generous.

Also, watching Matt Z and Jeff interact during Someone Else's Song. The soft looks of encouragement from Jeff, the looks of awe and excitement in Matt's eyes... a very cool thing to witness.

Watching the faces of audience members while "their song" was being played was one of the most rewarding parts of the night. There were looks of joy, introspection, wonder... And everyone looked so grateful.

And of course all the funnies of the evening. As Johnny said, he was relaxed and funny, making it easy to feel relaxed as an audience member.

It was a beautiful thing.

Jeff giving us hell for spending so much time on here ("Please, do something else!"), followed by Sue's, "pot kettle black", calling him out for checking things here, etc. etc.

:lol Good Lord, maybe it's a good thing I wasn't there (" So you're MB, eh?"). :rolleyes

Not the same thing. Jeff's is vintage. As he explained, the new versions do not properly curve upwards on the periphery of the brim. Somebody took the time to steam and shape this baby to perfection.

I just happened to think of LBJ - when I saw the photo.

lmao maybe we should take to wearing our VC names on nametags at their shows. We could save time that way. We could start a VC name tag business...

He knows who several people are here -

Ah, Johnny, now that's a review!

Thanks, Brianne. I'm bummed we won't get to see you next week. I was wondering what dead rock star I would have been. Sam & Sooz suggested Johnny Paycheck or Lynnard Skynnard. Perhaps it's time for a makeover.

Thank you Ken and Edie, without you guys, we wouldn't have even been there. We had such a good time hanging out with you both. As always. And Ken, I liked Jeff's story of sharing a froofy banana split-like coffee thingachino with you in Australia. He's got a way with words, don't he?

I think it's bedtime now. I'm no spring chicken. I love all the pictures so far!

He should get a Billy Jack hat - much cooler.

:lol I don't think he would, though. Edie tried to talk him into going to Alcala's (notorious western wear store in Chicago) to get a pair of red cowboy boots to go with his Nudie suit, and he pretty much balked.

:lol I don't think he would, though. Edie tried to talk him into going to Alcala's (notorious western wear store in Chicago) to get a pair of red cowboy boots to go with his Nudie suit, and he pretty much balked.

Yeah, I believe the phrase was, "Over my dead body." He was open to red Chucks, though.

I don't see how anyone could wear those - unless you worked with horses. I wear boots everyday - but I would never wear cowboy boots.

I don't see how anyone could wear those - unless you worked with horses. I wear boots everyday - but I would never wear cowboy boots.

Maybe you could take a photo of your boots

Then paint them red and another photo of the after

If you could edit your photo into a nudie suit wearing the now red boots we would really appreciate it!

For some reason, I feel like my privacy's been totally violated knowing that Jeff reads this. :o :lol

glad y'all had fun.

Another funny moment was after Jeff's impersonations of Glenn, Pat, and Nels, it somehow led to him making the comment, "We're going to break Wilco up tonight!" Everyone laughed, and as the laughter subsided, Tweedling said through the tail end of his laugh, "That's not funny." The timing was classic.

Maybe you could take a photo of your boots

Then paint them red and another photo of the after

If you could edit your photo into a nudie suit wearing the now red boots we would really appreciate it!

The force is strong in this one.

I don't do red anything - bad color.

If I ever went to one of these deals - I would ask the old man to play Fatal Wound.