A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks that don't like the Grateful Dead and don't like Phish and don't like Dave Matthews Band know ABSOLUTE ZERO about them and are trying to look cool to other "cool" music fans

I actually like SOME Weezer songs now but when I first heard that Sweater Song I thought it was the absolute end of Rock music. I never could understand it or what was cool or even remotely good? It wasn't like it was a TMBG song or anything it was absolute unadulterated SHIT.

"If you want to destroy my sweater, pull this string as I walk away"

The Eagles are ten times better than that. I mean WTF??!!

Also My Morning Jacket is one of the greatest live bands on the planet.

I have plenty more BS where that came from

Folks that don't like the Grateful Dead and don't like Phish and don't like Dave Matthews Band know ABSOLUTE ZERO about them and are trying to look cool to other "cool" music fans

I actually like SOME Weezer songs now but when I first heard that Sweater Song I thought it was the absolute end of Rock music. I never could understand it or what was cool or even remotely good? It wasn't like it was a TMBG song or anything it was absolute unadulterated SHIT.

"If you want to destroy my sweater, pull this string as I walk away"

The Eagles are ten times better than that. I mean WTF??!!

Also My Morning Jacket is one of the greatest live bands on the planet.

I have plenty more BS where that came from

Sooo...the ONLY reason why somebody wouldn't like The Grateful Dead, Phish and the Dave Matthews Band is because we know ABSOLUTE ZERO about them and are trying to look cool to other "cool" music fans.

The Kelvin Scale of music appreciation.

Maybe not blasphemy...but most people who hate a band have never listened to more then the hit singles etc and gave an album a listen. I am guilty too. I hate creed, nickleback but you know what I never gave their albums a full listen. I think it gives your opinion more weight if you at least suffer through a band you dislikes album first before you go on hating them.

To me someone saying GD and Phish and DMB suck is the same as someone saying Wilco sucks.
Of course that's  totally different then you not caring for them.
Again I was just saying that IMO folks that talk all that know almost ZERO about those bands.
Maybe I should have said next to nothing.  

I know that people absolutely hate all 3 of those bands in varying degrees

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is unlistenable to me. Though I do love every one of those songs as performed live.

Yeah, I've been saying that for years. Something about the production of YHF and Being There sound terrible to me.

I'm sure that's true for some people, but is way too broad of a statement.

I used to go see the Dead a lot, and I still like them (although I have no interest in their post Jerry activities). 

I used to see Phish a lot, too, but they lost me around Hoist.  It felt to me like their music started getting more serious, and the appeal started to wear off.

DMB I never liked because literally everything about their sound and the way the musicians play is unappealing to me.  I respect them for being a hard working band who earned their status through years of hard touring.  I also recognize their talent as musicians. And they seem like nice enough guys.  But they make a sound that I don't like.

There are plently of bands I like that would make me very much uncool in the eyes of whoever the cool music fans are, so I don't buy that line about hating a band to score cool points. 

I'm sure that's true for some people, but is way too broad of a statement.

actually, what others has he ruined for you?

Oh, I am just kidding around there. I think there was a lengthy post about that whole subject way back when YHF came out. I think it's a great album, but it is kind of funny how much better those songs are live. Of course, the same could be said for many albums, especially Wilco albums.

Sometimes I can't help myself.

Usually there is such gold in his posts that I will probably remove him from ignore.

Besides, IGNORE is really un-democratic.