A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Writing your own music and getting credit for it is by far the most profitable thing one can do in the music biz.  

That Taylor Swift chick writes all of her music and she's had like a million hits.  I'm sure she worth quadrillions...  

I almost feel like I should like Coldplay just by virtue of the fact that Eno produced one of their records. He must have heard something he liked. :lol

Yeah, the ka-ching of a cash register.

Doesn't Ani DiFranco handle almost every aspect of her music? Publishing, producing, managing, marketing etc... And the result is that she makes tons more cash than artists who have similar sales, recording and live activity? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere other than the interwebs.

Doesn't Ani DiFranco handle almost every aspect of her music? Publishing, producing, managing, marketing etc... And the result is that she makes tons more cash than artists who have similar sales, recording and live activity? I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere other than the interwebs.

See also - Ian Mackaye

Aw, come on, you don't think Brian Eno has more integrity than that? Maybe I am just an idealist, but I think Eno is the man...

His greatness as an artist is indisputable, but hey, he's got bills too I imagine.

Yeah, the ka-ching of a cash register.

There could be some truth to this.  On one hand, old music stars are notorious for having pretty lame tastes in current music.  On the other hand, Eno has a very progressive mind and might use opportunities such as working with big money acts like Coldplay, U2, etc. in part as a bankrolled workshop for his own ideas that he can later apply to his own projects.   Why work out your ideas on your own dime if you can do it on someone else's? 

:lol

You're right, but that's not Eno's fault!

No, I don't suppose it is, which is why I'm thinking he keeps working with them because it gives him free access to top quality studios which he can use to develop and test his own ideas, and get paid a princely sum while doing it.

I hope he gets paid well for it. I've always liked Eno better than U2.

I wish Eno would release more songs with his own vocals. I have always really liked his voice. Of course it's not a "bono vox" like Paul Hewson's, but I think it's cool. From what I have read, he's never been that confident in it, which I find kind of ironic.