A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's some real blasphemy for you...

Elvis Costello has managed to have a 36 year career based on his first four records...almost everything since 1980 has been spotty at best (some notable exceptions, but he has produced a lot of dross in the last 30 years...maybe even fair to call a lot of it crap)

Elvis Costello has managed to have a 36 year career based on his first four records...almost everything since 1980 has been spotty at best (some notable exceptions, but he has produced a lot of dross in the last 30 years...maybe even fair to call a lot of it crap)

I'm inclined to agree, although I'd be a bit more lenient and give him until 1982 before he started getting spotty (post-Imperial Bedroom). 

Blood and Chocolate 1986

I say post blood and chocolate.

This reminds me of an article I read years ago. The premise was that when we look at an Elvis Costello or a bob Dylan record... Do we judge them against what is being put out at the time? Or do we primarily judge them against their back catalog? I tend to think both but we weigh the back catalog more heavily in the equation than we might weigh their performance against peers.

I say post blood and chocolate.

This reminds me of an article I read years ago. The premise was that when we look at an Elvis Costello or a bob Dylan etched ... Do we judge them against what is being put out at the time? Or do we primarily judge them against their back catalog? I tend to think both but we weigh the back catalog more heavily in the equation than we might weigh their performance against peers.

Yes.

Costello gets a lifetime pass just for This Year's Model.

as much as I love "most of the time," "things have changed," "not dark yet" and a handful of others, I would have been totally fine with Dylan leaving the music business and pursuing some other artistic endeavor after 1976.

and I think a lot of Dylan fans work really hard to like his material after then.

as much as I love "most of the time," "things have changed," "not dark yet" and a handful of others, I would have been totally fine with Dylan leaving the music business and pursuing some other artistic endeavor after 1976.

and I think a lot of Dylan fans work really hard to like his material after then.

I used to have the goal of acquiring every official Dylan release and listening to them chronologically, one record a day until I heard everything.  But then I asked myself why I would subject myself to all of the drudgery that would begin after the first week and continue for months. 

I couldn't care less if I never hear a Pink Floyd song again for as long as I live. I've never enjoyed them and I don't own a single track or album of theirs. The whole "get stoned and trip out on their music" thing has turned me off forever.

...almost everything since 1980 has been spotty at best (some notable exceptions, but he has produced a lot of dross in the last 30 years...maybe even fair to call a lot of it crap)

Give or take a few years I would also say this about Springsteen and the Stones.

nah, he kept a lot of music as outtakes.... but we 'ave 'em!

Almost every band/artist peaks in their mid-late 20s like baseball players.  Some exceptions, but the rule is still pretty solid.

Wrong on both accounts.

I couldn't care less if I never hear a Pink Floyd  Grateful Dead song again for as long as I live. I've never enjoyed them and I don't own a single track or album of theirs. The whole "get stoned and trip out on their music" thing has turned me off forever.

Of all the famous singer-songwriters of the last 50 years who have made it big, Neil Young might be the worst writer. He's a good guitar player, and I think he can write a decent melody, but his lyrics are nowhere near as good as anyone else in the upper echelon (Dylan, Joni Mitchell, et al).

Just look at some of the lyrics of even his best-known songs:

I want to live

I want to give

I've been a miner
for a heart of gold

She could drag me

over the rainbow
Send me away

Oh Alabama

Banjos playing
through the broken glass
Windows down in Alabama

And don't even get me started on A Man Needs A Maid. :lol

Give or take a few years I would also say this about Springsteen and the Stones.

It may seem a bit counter-intuitive, but I give the 63 year old Springsteen a pass because there is so much genius of his that is STILL in the vaults.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfTpZYQmtTM#t=39