A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldn't rate the Lindas nearly as high as Neko, as they didn't write their own material. actually, i'm much less familiar w/ Thompson's work, just assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that Richard did most of that heavy lifting.

Joni, even though she's not my thing, I can certainly see.

Aretha, too.

right now, Neko's weak spot is the overall amount of material...she really only started coming into her own on Blacklisted, so that's only 4 records.

Oh. You said "singer"

• 2 weeks later...

Blasphemy:

I believe that when people refer to the album by its shortened name, they should refer to it as Sgt Pepper or Pepper. Not Sgt Pepper's or Pepper's.

Five years late on this, but you're wrong. The album is called Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. So it makes sense to call it Sgt. Pepper's.

• 4 weeks later...

I am new here and I loved this thread. I read the whole thing, including the fights.  I would like to add a few thoughts.

Touch of Grey is a great song, perhaps the best The Dead ever recorded.  Deadheads should just deal with it and quit squawking about them selling out by recording it and releasing a (gasp) video.  Oh and the band was never the same after Donna Jean left (Not really, just kidding.  I just wanted to induce a heart attack or two). 

The Ramones and AC/DC are the same band, just in different rock subgenres.  Contrary to Nigel Tufnel's opinion, you can be both clever and stupid and both bands do it well.  Rock and roll is supposed to be stupid sometimes.

Mick and Keith should have never got back together with the Stones in the 80s.  The solo efforts of both of them were pretty decent and the Stones have basically sucked since the late 80s.  I would venture to say the the X-Pensive Winos were light years better than the Stones when they were together.  I wish they were doing stuff today.  Whoever said that Exile was overrated was right.  It's not even as good a as Some Girls.

Having seen the movie, I am glad I wasn't at Woodstock. 

I've probably said this before, but since somebody bumped this thread, it got me to thinking.

I don't get the Velvet Underground, which is odd since I really like Lou Reed. I kinda like the last two records, so maybe it's John Cale I don't care for.

Don't like the Grateful Dead. As much as I try (and I've really tried), the seem to be more about the drug culture than they do music.

I think that George's ALL THINGS MUST PASS is superior to every other former Beatle Solo Record.

Sandinista is a glorious mess that holds up really well after 30 years.

I think Max Weinberg is a plodding drummer.

Chicago was a reasonably good band up until Terry Kath blew his brains out (yeah, 8 and 10 were pretty schlocky, but that is a catalogue that I would place up against anybody.)

Van Halen only made three good records...and that is stretching it quite a bit.

Eddie Van Halen wasted his talent with crappy front men his entire career.

British Rock is more about attitude than music. You'd think Oasis would be a hard rocking guitar band given their load of attitude.

Dying young is the best career move for fair to middling rockers.

Kurt Cobain was the most pretentious asshole to ever strap on a guitar. Supremely talented, but c'mon..."I don't that kind of person to listen to my music."

John Lennon made one good solo record.

Paul McCartney made three good records (solo and with Wings) before John died...I haven't heard the new one.

The Who should have packed it in after Keith Moon died.

Jimmy Page vs. Jeff Beck...I think Jimmy's band was infinitely superior to anything Jeff Beck could put together, but I think Jeff is the better guitar player.

Al Green is the greatest soul singer to ever walk the face of this earth. Followed closely by Marvin Gaye.

I wish Springsteen would strip things down and hit the road with a small band...two guitars, bass and drums. No keyboards. No horns. No army of background singers.

Tom Petty is the best American songwriter since Dylan...and I'm not too sure that he isn't better.

SHE SELLS SANCTUARY is the best guitar rock song of that generation. As a matter of fact, The Cult is a criminally underexposed, under rated band.

BETTER MAN is the best song ever.

GD more about drug culture than the music? That's a fucking hoot. The two are irrevocably entwined, but much of that has to do as much with media hype as it does reality. The reality is, the band lived and breathed music and morphed and evolved into many different and entertaining configurations that put music at it's forefront. Like them or not, they were WAY more about the tune and live music experience than any "drug culture."

re: Cobain being the most pretentious asshole to strap on a guitar? Seriously? Because he disdained homophobes and meathead jocks and misogynists ? The guy basically pissed off a large group of potential money sources and he's pretentious?

re: Touch of Grey is a great song. Listen to some earlier live versions from '82, '83 and it's even better than the one they cut for the album. Touch of Grey is, by far, not their best studio song. Listen to any tune off of American Beauty, for starters. The version of Touch of Grey on the studio album has some cheesy keyboards in and is quite Pop-y. No big deal. Don't know of anyone ever claiming that the band sold out, though.

The band wasn't the same after Donna left. Or, after Keith left. Or, after Pigpen left. Or after Brent died. They evolved into other, equally worthwhile, formations, imo.

GD more about drug culture than the music? That's a fucking hoot. The two are irrevocably entwined, but much of that has to as much with media hype as it does reality. The reality is, the band lived and breathed music and morphed and evolved into many different and entertaining configurations that put music at it's forefront. Like them or not, they were WAY more about the tune and live music experience than any "drug culture."

re: Cobain being the most pretentious asshole to strap on a guitar? Seriously? Because he disdained homophobes and meathead jocks and misogynists ? The guy basically pissed off a large group of potential money sources and he's pretentious?

re: Touch of Grey is a great song. Listen to some earlier live versions from '82, '83 and it's even better than the one they cut for the album. Touch of Grey is, by far, not their best studio song. Listen to any tune off of American Beauty, for starters. The version of Touch of Grey on the studio album has some cheesy keyboards in and is quite Pop-y. No big deal. Don't know of anyone ever claiming that the band sold out, though.

The band wasn't the same after Donna left. Or, after Keith left. Or, after Pigpen left. Or after Brent died. They evolved into other, equally worthwhile, formations, imo.

No blasphemy there, its all 100% true. Thanks Lammy!

Very few, if any, rock bands mastered and put their own unique spin on so many of genres of American music as the Dead did.  The Grateful Dead were like a freaking  encyclopedia of American music.  People who can't see beyond the shallow, one-sided media portrayal of the band typically miss this fact. It is totally clear to me that the most important thing to the Grateful Dead was music, an authentic interpretation based on a true connection to old musical traditions, all done with a sensitivity to emotional nuances and the idea that collectively, a group of individuals can do more interesting things than they can working in isolation. So many people just don't get all that, which is fine, but its frustrating when people distill all that into "the Dead were mostly about drugs".  It has nothing to do with whether you like them or not. 

As Dylan said about Garcia upon his death (and it holds true for The Grateful Dead as a band, too, IMO)  "There's a lot of spaces and advances between The Carter Family, Buddy Holly and, say, Ornette Coleman, a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. "

As Dylan said about Garcia upon his death (and it holds true for The Grateful Dead as a band, too, IMO)  "There's a lot of spaces and advances between The Carter Family, Buddy Holly and, say, Ornette Coleman, a lot of universes, but he filled them all without being a member of any school. "

Sadly, I'm sure most folks (not here on this site) have no idea who those people are/were so Dylan's point is lost. Thats ok, those who get it, get it, let all the rest think what they want.

I think that George's ALL THINGS MUST PASS is superior to every other former Beatle Solo Record.

I don't think this is very controversial, is it? I think most (well-versed) people agree.

Van Halen only made three good records...and that is stretching it quite a bit.

I would say they made one good record ... maybe.

The Who should have packed it in after Keith Moon died.

Agreed. Again, probably not controversial(is it?)

Jimmy Page vs. Jeff Beck...I think Jimmy's band was infinitely superior to anything Jeff Beck could put together, but I think Jeff is the better guitar player.

This is truely blasphemy.

I wish Springsteen would strip things down and hit the road with a small band...two guitars, bass and drums. No keyboards. No horns. No army of background singers.

I would love to see this. 

BETTER MAN is the best song ever.

I assume this is a joke. 

Taking liberties by taking it a step further......

- The only thing worse than cancer is Radiohead, and perhaps, Pitchfork.

- Arcade Fire are not good.

- Robert Pollard is the greatest songwriter of all-time.

- Jay Bennett's portrayal in IATTBYH was unfair and not entirely true.

- Peet's Coffee is the best. Period

- I have two favorite teams, the Oakland A's and anyone playing the SF Giants.

- Nels Cline has many magic tricks up his sleeve, none of which I approve of.

- Bud Powell is highly underrated and might be my favorite player of that period, flaws n all.

- Not liking The Beatles is like not liking air.

- The underrated, Mick Taylor made the middle period Stones a MUCH better band.

- I don't entirely get that genre of music with the 'C' in front of it. C(rap)

- With apologies to the others, Nick Drake is the best acoustic guitarist to ever come out of the UK.

- Mark Everett writes bettter songs that Beck Hansen.

- As big a fan as I was of ZEP, including see'em 2x in 1977, it bothers me to no end, that just about everything they put out was lifted from somewhere else.

- Jay Farrar is a GREAT songwriter.

- Jeff Tweedy is too.

- Trane & Miles are both GOD. In the case of less is more, matchpoint to MILES.

- Turning up the reverb, coupled with bad playing & singing doesn't always equate good songs.

- The Sadies should be bigger.

- Daniel Tashian &  'The Silver Seas' has put out 3 records in 8 years, in which all 3 were the best records released that year.

- I heart Robert Zimmerman

- Mike Cooley >>> Patterson Hood

- I dislike The Supremes

- Colin Moulding of XTC should be a household name.

- Stan Getz had the best tone of all of'em (including Pres)

Not sure if the blasphemy refered to above was about the Zeppelin being better than any of Beck's bands or the claim that Jeff is a better guitarist than Jimmie Page, but from where I'm sitting Beck blows Page away on his worst day.

OK, here's some "blasphemy" for ya: Autumn Defense is flacid folk-rock.  Having seen them live twice, damn near everything they play is a piss break for me.

Start shooting, fans!

Taking liberties by taking it a step further......

- Not liking The Beatles is like not liking air.

- The underrated, Mick Taylor made the middle period Stones a MUCH better band.

- I don't entirely get that genre of music with the 'C' in front of it. C(rap)

- Trane & Miles are both GOD. In the case of less is more, matchpoint to MILES.

I would not argue with any of these. :thumbup

GD more about drug culture than the music? That's a fucking hoot. The two are irrevocably entwined, but much of that has to do as much with media hype as it does reality. The reality is, the band lived and breathed music and morphed and evolved into many different and entertaining configurations that put music at it's forefront. Like them or not, they were WAY more about the tune and live music experience than any "drug culture."

Read the thread title...If I didn't think it was against grain, I wouldn't have posted it.

I'm confused. The thread title, to me, means musical stuff that is bunk but that you believe.....(not YOU, per se, but the reader of the thread title). 

Right. So, really then, the only people who should be posting in this thread are the ones who truly believe the Grateful Dead is a great band.