A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

Right. So, really then, the only people who should be posting in this thread are the ones who truly believe the Grateful Dead is a great band.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! Thanks for that.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused. The thread title, to me, means musical stuff that is bunk but that you believe.....(not YOU, per se, but the reader of the thread title). 

A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

Full Definition of BLASPHEMY  
a :  the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God

b :  the act of claiming the attributes of deity
:  irreverence toward something considered sacred or inviolable

Don't like the Grateful Dead. As much as I try (and I've really tried), the seem to be more about the drug culture than they do music.

The Grateful Dead are revered here. I don't like them. I think any music I need to be tripping on to enjoy can do without my appreciation.

I'm gonna take a guess that you probably wouldn't like the Grateful Dead even if you were tripping. :) 

As I was trying to point above, the statement that I think people are responding to is not whether you like them or not, but rather your statement that they are more about drug culture than music. 

Yes, that's it. I am not a fan of the Dead, though I did see them once in 1978 when I was 14. I am a fan of their songs, though, mainly when performed by others. Clearly, serious Dead fans are about the music, not drugs. The amount of different shows that they listen to, the encyclopedic knowledge of different eras, etc. means that hey are music fans. If they had to be tripping when listening to all of those Dead shows, they'd have been casualties long ago. It's obvious that it's about the music. Much respect to them. I cannot imagine being into anything to that degree. To put it all down to drugs is silly.

Say, to those Dead fans, did I likely see a classic, good, quality, etc. show in 1978? Thanks.

The best Dead show I saw, I was stoned to the bejesus. Second best, I was sober as a judge. Worst, I was tripping my brains out. So there.

Anybody got a hackey sack?

Oh, and the Kings of Leon suck tremendous. That they are hugely popular in Europe pretty much negates the argument that Europeans have better taste than Americans.

A number of people love telling others that they love Television's Marquee Moon more than they actually like Television's Marquee Moon.

Kind of like the number of people who say they love the Velvet Underground if infinitely more than the people who actually love the velvet underground.

Kind of like the number of people who say they love the Velvet Underground if infinitely more than the people who actually love the velvet underground.

I believe that for sure.

There are a tremendous number of VU songs I love, but the album White Light/White Heat mostly sucks. When was the last time anyone honestly sat through The Gift and actually enjoyed it?

I believe that for sure.

There are a tremendous number of VU songs I love, but the album White Light/White Heat mostly sucks. When was the last time anyone honestly sat through The Gift and actually enjoyed it?

WL/WH is by far my favorite VU album. The Gift is pretty damn great if you turn the left speaker volume all the way down.

Records that sell a lot and get really popular aren't always pandering to the lowest common denominator.

Successful music and successful bands aren't always shit.

Pearl Jam was at their worst at their beginning. Ten is terrible. After that, they got better.

I'm just the opposite. I loved everything they did up through No Codes, then they kinda lost me.

I saw them live in Providence (Club Babyhead) shortly before Ten was released. Summer of '91, I believe, and even though I had never heard any of the material before, it still ranks among the greatest live performances I've ever seen. They were just glowing - practically levitating. There were about 20 people in the club.

When the album came out a while later, I recognized every song they had played that night.

I'm just the opposite. I loved everything they did up through No Codes, then they kinda lost me.

I saw them live in Providence (Club Babyhead) shortly before Ten was released. Summer of '91, I believe, and even though I had never heard any of the material before, it still ranks among the greatest live performances I've ever seen. They were just glowing - practically levitating. There were about 20 people in the club.

When the album came out a while later, I recognized every song they had played that night.

the same for me. i didnt mind Yield, but after that lost me, until Last Kiss and then lost me again!

Club Babyhead! I saw a few shows there (TMBG, Los Lobos).

No disrespect intended, but considering the thread, I should share my own Pearl Jam/early days story: seeing them open for the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the fall of '91. All I knew of them was the Mother Love Bone connection (not that I'd heard any Mother Love Bone at that point, but the story was out there). They had a small rabid group at the front of the stage, and forgive me, but Eddie Vedder came across as insufferably self-important and more fake than the dozens of hair-metal frontmen I'd spent the previous five years hating on. My friend and I spent the whole set making fun of them (a safe distance from anyone who cared). I do wonder what I'd think of that show if I saw footage today.

Club Babyhead! I saw a few shows there (TMBG, Los Lobos).

No disrespect intended, but considering the thread, I should share my own Pearl Jam/early days story: seeing them open for the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the fall of '91. All I knew of them was the Mother Love Bone connection (not that I'd heard any Mother Love Bone at that point, but the story was out there). They had a small rabid group at the front of the stage, and forgive me, but Eddie Vedder came across as insufferably self-important and more fake than the dozens of hair-metal frontmen I'd spent the previous five years hating on. My friend and I spent the whole set making fun of them (a safe distance from anyone who cared). I do wonder what I'd think of that show if I saw footage today.

Yeah, Babyhead was awesome. I saw some great shows there.

The Mother Love Bone connection was the reason I went to the show. I was a huge fan, and the ad in the paper said "Pearl Jam (featuring members of MLB)". Also, since Temple of the Dog had just been released I figured it might be a secret gig type thing.

As insufferable and Stipe-like as he later became, Vedder was really cool that night. Offered me and a friend beer from their cooler after the show. The whole band was nice. I still have the Blaylock shirt I bought from Jeff Ament, and since I signed their mailing list they sent me their x-mas singles for the next few years.