A Thread for Musical Blasphemy you Truly Believe

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That excludes every U2 album save for the first 2, though, and The Joshua Tree is their best album.

I didn't realize he went back that far with them.  I knew he worked on Joshua Tree and probably somewhere in my brain I knew he worked on The Unforgettable Fire. So, I was thinking Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby - - > tailspin.

I didn't realize he went back that far with them.  I knew he worked on Joshua Tree and probably somewhere in my brain I knew he worked on The Unforgettable Fire. So, I was thinking Joshua Tree/Achtung Baby - - > tailspin.

I think The Unforgettable Fire was his first collaboration with them, along with Daniel Lanois. Love the sound of that record. It's one of the only U2 discs where I bought the "deluxe" version just because I wanted to hear what Eno did with them on the bonus tracks.

I hope he gets paid well for it. I've always liked Eno better than U2.

I wish Eno would release more songs with his own vocals. I have always really liked his voice. Of course it's not a "bono vox" like Paul Hewson's, but I think it's cool. From what I have read, he's never been that confident in it, which I find kind of ironic.

I like his voice, too.  It's one of the more distinctive voices in rock history.  Talking Heads' Once in a Lifetime would certainly be lacking something without his vocals.

I enjoy Paul's piano more than the guitars on While My Guitar Gently Weeps.

the guitars on that tune are immensely overrated.

The success of All That You Can't Leave Behind seems to have caused some permanent damage to U2's psyche, as they've mostly been trying to repeat that formula since.

it would have been great if Edge had gone off to do other projects after Pop (and U2 had ended).

Paul's bass tone on the White Album is the best of all albums by The Beatles.

Was he using the Rickenbacker on that album?

According to the Ken Scott book I'm currently reading (Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust,) Paul was using a Fender Jazz bass and a Fender VI bass for the White Album, not the Rickenbacker. He also says that they doubled the regular bass part with a 6-string bass on quite a few tracks: Piggies, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Glass Onion and Rocky Raccoon. The books also says that both parts were played together and never overdubbed.

According to the Ken Scott book I'm currently reading (Abbey Road to Ziggy Stardust,) Paul was using a Fender Jazz bass and a Fender VI bass for the White Album, not the Rickenbacker. He also says that they doubled the regular bass part with a 6-string bass on quite a few tracks: Piggies, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Glass Onion and Rocky Raccoon. The books also says that both parts were played together and never overdubbed.

Interesting.   How can both parts be played together but not overdubbed?   That is only possible if two people are playing at the same time, or if Paul played two basses at the same time, which is impossible for people with fewer than four arms.

Interesting.   How can both parts be played together but not overdubbed?   That is only possible if two people are playing at the same time, or if Paul played two basses at the same time, which is impossible for people with fewer than four arms.

George or John on bass I'm guessing.

But Clapton makes his guitar sound as if it is weeping in some way.

According to Geoff Emerick's book, after Clapton laid down his guitar tracks, it was decided his parts didn't sound "Beatley" enough and they applied a bunch of effects to give it that wobbly sound. The Beatles also were on good behavior that day because of Clapton's presence, during what was otherwise a turbulent time in the studio.