As a lot of you RTT citizens know - my ex husband / Emily's father had been missing for a week, and his body was discovered today. He died of an accidental drug overdose. As some of you also know, he spent most of his life battling the demons of drug and alcohol addiction as well as mental illness. He caused a lot of destruction in his wake. However, when he was clean and healthy, he was a wonderful person who loved Tai Chi, books, Japanese art, urban cycling, Kung Fu movies, gardening and animals. Most of all he loved Emily and we loved him. He had so much pain and no matter how hard we tried to help him, he never could help himself. And now, he is gone.

We were with his family this evening. They are all in Chicago. Over the next few days we will plan his funeral service and I am planning on going to the crematorium with his mother for that part of the process. I want to. I need to. I am distraught that I will not be able to see him to say goodbye, so I hope in being there for that, in some way I can find some peace. We will be cleaning out his apartment on Thursday. While we had our problems, some of them very serious, he was a my friend and I cared for and loved him a lot. We met when I was 17 years old. All I ever wanted for him was to be healthy.

I wanted to thank you all for being with me this afternoon in the RTT and on various chat programs as I sat with this information, waiting for Graham to get home, so we could be together to tell Emily. Having VC here was a Godsend. I couldn't talk to anyone on the phone. I couldn't move. But, I could get on my computer in my chair. So, thank you. And thank you for all the kind notes, prayers and vibes you have sent. They mean SO MUCH.

Hug the people you love. Right now.

Peace.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kate, I'm so very very sorry. I really don't know what to say exactly, except that you are well loved by this community. The love of your life will help you through this. And don't worry too much about Emily (my mother's name, btw). Just love her with all your heart - she'll be OK. Trust me on this - I thought I was gonna raise a gang of social revolutionaries but it didn't quite turn out that way. But they're good kids, and so is yours, I'm sure.

Peace be with you. :cheekkiss

Emily has his Gretsch bass guitar in her room - his mom gave it to her tonight, they took it from his apartment.

I have a tea-pot of my grandmothers sitting on the stove that reminds me of her every day. Sometimes its little things that can hold the most of someone for you.

There's really nothing that can be said to ease this at all, but we're all behind you and here to support you. Emily will do fine, she's got wonderful and caring people supporting her. Just give yourself whatever time and space you need alone or with the ones you love. That's all you can do. My thoughts are with you.

before I try to go to bed, I had to share this.

I just went in to check on Emily and give her kisses. The dog (Kerry) followed me in there. When I tried to get him out of the room when I was leaving, he would not budge from the side of Emily's bed. I walked away and he was literally sitting next to her bed, watching her. I looked at him from the door and he turned and looked at me with a very concerned sad look in his eyes and he is now camped out at the side of her bed.

bless.

God Kate, I am so very sorry for Emily's loss.

Seems our two daughters are in a similar situation, i.e. my Ex has also always been struggling with alcohol (which made me leave him in the end, although I loved him dearly, and he is just like your Ex a nice person otherwise), and my fears of Tara losing her Dad to this addiction didn't quite get better with my brother's dead and now Em's Dad's :no

I know that you 3 will make it through, because you are amongst the most loving & caring people I ever had the luck to meet.

Stay strong, and be there for Emily. I know you will.

The specter of addiction is my close companion. Loving an addict is the most complex of emotions. As hard as one tries to make sense of it, it remains an uncomfortable paradox. Blessings to you Kate, and especially Emily, for peace and equinimity.

Vibes to you and Emily, Kate. I'm glad she has his bass. And the part about your dog really choked me up. Very touching.

blessings and peace for you and your family Kate, especially Emily. how very sweet of your dog to watch over her. animals know! :cheekkiss