Really cool outdoor venues

The Gorge. Hands down.

2.jpg

OOooohh! So THAT'S where that is! They do this really cheesy commercial for the Lakers on the local Fox Sports channel, where there is a court set up on the stage there and Luke Walton, Jordan Farmar and Lamar Odom come rising up out of the stage/center court with their hands on their hips, looking "tough." The crowd is going crazy and the players just stand there.

Lame. But cool setting!

Red Rocks!
One of the cool things about Red Rocks is if you ever get the chance to go backstage. There are rooms downstairs that have walls that are just the sandstone. Very cool rooms. Also, there is a tunnel that goes from the soundboard to the backstage area. There are all sorts of cables and shit inside there so most bands don't let people down there, but when they do, you've got quick and easy access to the backstage food and booze!
One of the cool things about Red Rocks is if you ever get the chance to go backstage. There are rooms downstairs that have walls that are just the sandstone. Very cool rooms. Also, there is a tunnel that goes from the soundboard to the backstage area. There are all sorts of cables and shit inside there so most bands don't let people down there, but when they do, you've got quick and easy access to the backstage food and booze!

I got to go backstage twice: once for Wilco opening for Sheryl Crow in like '97 or '98 and once when my pal rented it out for his wedding with all sorts of bands. That underground tunnel is pretty rustic. It's amazing how old the dressing rooms, etc. are with walls of stone/rock but seem ageless at the same time.

I think the Hollywood Bowl is pretty sweet at dusk.

bowl_dusk_low.jpg

That's a fantastic view there.

One of the coolest places I've been to in the Midwest was the Iroquois Amphitheatre in Louisville. Saw Wilco there in the Fall of '06. Bee-yoo-tee-ful place.

John Anson Ford Amphitheatre in Los Angeles:

theater.at.night.jpg

My friend tells a story about seeing Elvis Costello there, and a deer coming out of the woods during the show. All eyes, for that window of time, were not on Elvis.

Wow, all those photos look like awesome places to see a band. The only good outdoor venue I've been at was Jay Pritzker Pavilion.

800px-Jay_Pritzker_Pavilion.jpg

How is the sound here? I've heard that's it really good for the folks on the lawn.

Maybe someday soon... I'll catch a hometown Wilco show... in the summer.

k

Guest Jules
Wow, all those photos look like awesome places to see a band. The only good outdoor venue I've been at was Jay Pritzker Pavilion.

800px-Jay_Pritzker_Pavilion.jpg

How is the sound here? I've heard that's it really good for the folks on the lawn.

Maybe someday soon... I'll catch a hometown Wilco show... in the summer.

k

Not sure how it was for the Wilco show, but for classical music, the sound on the lawn is fantastic. There are speakers placed throughout the structure.

I hope to go here this summer:

Bethel Woods Center for the Arts

Bethel Woods Center for the Arts is approximately 90 minutes from New York City at the site of the original 1969 Woodstock festival in Bethel, NY. The 15,000-seat outdoor performing arts venue and the soon-to-be-opened Museum are set within nearly 2,000 bucolic acres. The main pavilion covers 4,500 seats with another 10,500 on a natural sloping lawn, while offering unique backdrops including the original festival site and the majesty of the surrounding Sullivan County countryside. Other venues at the center include a 1,000-seat Terrace Stage, craft and farmers' market and the original Woodstock site, which holds a permit for 30,000 concertgoers to attend major musical events. The arts center's purpose is to improve the quality of life in Sullivan County and the surrounding region by promoting economic development in our region through arts, education, and culture at the Bethel Woods Center for the Arts.

There's a really great outdoor venue north of Boulder called Mishawaka that is right beside the Cache le Poudre river, is small, you can camp out nearby, and has a building with a deck you can drink beers on while bands play. Truly a gem.

Also, one of the things that makes Red Rocks so wonderful is not just the physical beauty of the ampitheatre and it's surroundings, but the sound. It can get eerily ethereal in there and there's really not too many "bad" spots for sound.

going there for the first time this summer for MMJ and Black Keys! WOO

damn I wish I could hit that show. However, you may as well make this your last concert as that may be one of the pinnacle shows of your lifetime. I saw Wilco/REM there awhile back and that was a damn fine show. I think I'd prefer to see MMJ and the Black Keys in their current state.

Guest Jules
Pritzker Pavillion gets all the attention, but Charter One Pavillion isnt half bad (esp. considering its a temp venue)

Ravinia

Agree on Ravinia. Great for kids too. Charter One, on the other hand, yuck.