Best and/ or Worst Rock and Roll Movies Ever (other than IATTBYH)??

Just saw Electric Apricot: Quest for Festeroo.

Amazing movie by Les Claypool. It's like a Spinal Tap for the jam band scene.Some really funny stuff. I would add this to one of my all time faves.

On your recommendation I got this from Netflix. Definitely some funny scenes and worth watching, but overall I thought they dragged out numerous jokes and storylines that weren't funny and/or they didn't milk the ones that had potential.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On your recommendation I got this from Netflix. Definitely some funny scenes and worth watching, but overall I thought they dragged out numerous jokes and storylines that weren't funny and/or they didn't milk the ones that had potential.

I was really high.

Guest Cousin Tupelo
There are some more clips - if you look on the right side. Also, it is out there to be had - if you do Bit Torrent.

Good to know. Have you seen it? Thumbs up or down?

Good to know. Have you seen it? Thumbs up or down?

No - I was just digging around. One of those clips I saw made me think of The Wall - or should I say, maybe the people who made The Wall movie were familiar with that film.

• 1 month later...
Fillmore West Documentary Revived For DVD

Grateful Dead

September 11, 2008 , 4:15 PM ET

Katie Hasty, N.Y.

Nearly 40 years after it closed for good, famed San Francisco concert venue the Fillmore West will be back in the spotlight this fall via the documentary "Fillmore: The Last Days."

Originally released in 1972, the film will make its DVD debut Nov. 11 via Rhino. "Last Days" boasts performances from the Grateful Dead, Santana, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Jefferson Airplane, Boz Scaggs, Cold Blood, Hot Tuna and Lamb during a five-day concert send-off in the summer of 1971.

"Fillmore: The Last Days," introduces viewers to the venue's history and its iconic founder, Bill Graham. Infamous house band Moonalice and guests talent like Ray Manzarek, Elvin Bishop and Dan Hicks also make appearances.

"Fillmore: The Last Days" will be screened during this year's Mill Valley Film Festival in San Francisco on Oct. 3.

I've only seen that movie one time, a very long time ago. I do remember Santana doing an outstanding take on Miles' "In a Silent Way".

• 2 years later...

late to the dance on this one, sorry re: Electric Apricot.

agreed on all fronts, certainly some dry spots but there are a few scenes that are pissers:

-of course the Burning Man song

-the dude who made up "the cube" dance at Earth Day in Modesto

-Gordo's Jimi incense

-Claypool's glass-blowing segment

-Aiwass treehouse scene

-the tapers arguing about the Schoeps MK4 mic no longer being the best

after the first 20 mins or so it tapers off until Gordo repulses Warren Haynes.

Magical Mystery Tour is at times the best (I Am the Walrus, Blue Jay Way) and worst (the Beatles as Wizards) Rock n Roll movie.

My favorite two movies lines are spoken by George Harrison in a Beatler movie--

"You won't interfer with the basic rugged concept of my personality, will you madam?" - A Hard Day's Night(pretty much every George line is classic)

"They won't disembowel us you see, it's all gab this disemboweling" - Help

some favorites of mine

The Lost String (a doc about Marc Ribot)

Such Hawks, Such Hounds (a doc about stoner metal, featuring Kyuss, Om, Dead Meadow, Wino from St Vitus and others...really quite nice)

Watch Me Jumpstart (Guided By Voices - definitive documetary...totally nailed the vibe of the band at this time in their career)

Space Is The Place (Sun Ra...'blaxplotation' turned on its head)

Jandek On Corwood (this lost some steam after Jandek actually played live, but it's still a riveting watch)

Westway To The World (good vid on The Clash)

Rock and Roll Circus (not only great footage of The Who, but also the only footage (i think) of Iommi when he was in Tull)

Storefront Hitchcock (not great, but it is if you dig Robyn Hitchcock...also check out the concert tape of Gotta Let This Hen Out)

Burning (Mogwai concert footage...arty b/w shots that work extremely well w/ their music)

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart (everyone knows about this...the scene w/ 'magazine called sunset' is so damned good)

i have heard good things about but haven't seen:

Some Kind Of Monster (Metallica)

We Jam Econo (Minutemen)

Not A Photograph (Mission of Burma)

loudQUIETloud (Pixies)

i have heard mixed things about the black metal doc Until The Light Takes Us but will probably watch it.

Wow, did not know about The Lost String. I'll have to hunt that down.

By no means a classic, but I enjoyed watching the recent Eric Claption / Steve Winwood DVD Live at MSG.

some favorites of mine

The Lost String (a doc about Marc Ribot)

I Am Trying To Break Your Heart (everyone knows about this...the scene w/ 'magazine called sunset' is so damned good)

I've not heard of that Marc Ribot documentary. I'll have to check that out. I only really know his work with Waits. It there any solo records that I should hear?

I completely agree about the 'Magazine' scene. As a father of two young boys seeing Jeff and his kids playing brings a tear to my eye. Its perfect.

I'm sure this has been mentioned earlier but the scene with Rick Danko in The Last Waltz when he is in the control room chatting with Scorsese is also heartbreaking.

I love this thread! I work part-time in an awesome indie video store, and we've got lots of these in stock. Others, I want to see about getting, so thanks for the to-do list.

I have many favorites among the ones that have already been listed (esp. Festival Express, New York Doll, Don't Look Back, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, Gimme Shelter, Stop Making Sense, Kill Your Idols, Rock 'n' Roll High School, Last Waltz) but one that hasn't been mentioned is Anvil! The Story of Anvil. Oh my god, it is great. Hysterically funny and unbelievably poignant at the same time.

Also, not sure it exactly fits in this topic, but It Might Get Loud is really illuminating. At first Jack White seemed like a pretentious ass to me, but upon repeat viewings I've warmed to him. And The Edge is not bad. But the real standout for me is Jimmy Page--what a charmer!

Speaking of charmers, I don't believe anyone has mentioned Hail! Hail! Rock and Roll, in which Keith Richards (that old smoothie) tries to stage a Chuck Berry concert and meets with some resistance from the irascible Mr. Berry. It's great.

Oh, and final thought, the T.A.M.I. show, finally released on DVD recently. Un-fucking-believable! Be sure to check it out.

Oh, and final thought, the T.A.M.I. show, finally released on DVD recently. Un-fucking-believable! Be sure to check it out.

I have that on my Amazon list. I think I saw that film when I was a kid. It was on Cinemax.

The latest music film I bought was The Moody Blues - Threshold of a Dream: Live at the Isle of Wight Festival. It is not the whole show, as apparently not all of the film has survived. The Isle of Wight Festival (1970) is one of my favorite concerts to watch. There are several audio/video releases from the concert. I sort of wish they would put them all together at some point, in a multiple DVD box set.

Message To Love (directed and produced by Murray Lerner) is a feature documentary film of the Isle of Wight Festival 1970.

In recent years, Lerner's copious 16mm concert footage has been repurposed to create a wealth of complete-performance DVD releases by Hendrix ("Blue Wild Angel"), Miles Davis ("Miles Electric - A Different Kind of Blue"), The Who (Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970), Jethro Tull (Nothing Is Easy: Live at the Isle of Wight 1970), Emerson, Lake & Palmer (The Birth Of A Band: Isle of Wight 1970), The Moody Blues (Threshold of a Dream: Live at the Isle of Wight Festival 1970), and Leonard Cohen (Leonard Cohen Live at The Isle of Wight 1970).

some favorites of mine

Storefront Hitchcock (not great, but it is if you dig Robyn Hitchcock...also check out the concert tape of Gotta Let This Hen Out)i

How could I have forgottern about these two gems! Gotta Let This Hen Out introduced me to RH ... and the rest is history. Had to love the black-n-white checkered suit. I saw it on this midnight show called Nocturnal Transmission on the channel U68 (anyone remember that video channel -- think it was only availabe in NJ-NT-CT area.)

I tried to keep it all in my head, and I know that some of these are in other posts, but in case there are some that were missed (and, repeating myself, too), here is my complete list of favorites (in no particular order):

• Rock n' Roll High School
  • A Hard Day's Night
  • Fabricando Tom Zé
  • Nico Icon
  • The Decline of Western Civilization
  • This is Spinal Tap
  • The Devil and Daniel Johnston
  • Theremin: An Electronic Odyessy
  • Woodstock

And, anxiously awaiting the Harry Nilsson documentary that's supposedly coming out soon.

The worst (since you asked):

• Kiss and the Phantom of the Park
  • Sargent Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band