Opening for Neil?

I like Neil Young but to be honest he hasn't really done anything in the last 15 years that really moved me.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Neil albums since 1988:

Freedom

Ragged Glory

Harvest Moon

Prairie Wind

Greendale

Silver and Gold

They did in 2003. There's a really good version of Bob Dylan's 49th Beard on the official compilation

My bad...I forgot about that. I usually keep up with these things.

personally, I hate his music (with the expection of some of that Massey Hall album and On the Beach), but it goes beyond that. I feel like if you're still kind of (relatively) an up-and-coming rock band getting more mainstream attention, the last person I'd want to go on tour with is Neil Young. Why? a) he's just another aging boomer relic who is pulling out the "rares" in order to wow the audience that grew up on his hits while simultaneously egging on your overzealous critic fans to give you more praise than you deserve. B) Each member of your band can singlehandedly outperform him and has made better records on their bad days than this guy's best days. however, due to the novelty fact that "he's freaking Neil Young!" you'll never be given the credit ('you' being Wilco) you really deserve.

I mean, come on, to be fair, I don't like Neil Young but I think we could all agree here Wilco puts him out of business in terms of actual showmanship. His songs, not that he can help it, are either given a folk rock or grunge rock treatment and they never are given the room to breath life. Whereas, you have a band like Wilco, with two superhuman musicians and probably the most likable singer-songwriter in his age group playing songs of more dense emotional (okay, opinion) and musical (this however I feel is fact) complexities-- the craftsmanship of the mentioned bringing a tight yet spaced out sound. I feel like Wilco going on tour with that guy is Wilco not giving themselves enough credit. Yeah, he's Neil Young, but you're doing now what he did yesterday in terms of making contemporary, fresh, new sounding music. You're not recycling as much as your contemporaries are, the music you make is as new now is his was then. You should be the ones on stage, you can't help it that the music business has (for the most part) aged more intelligently than him and you get overlooked.

don't get me wrong. if you wanna go see Neil Young, go see Neil Young. But everyone should be going ape over getting to see him open for Wilco, not the other way around. I'm sure I'm the only one that feels this way, I'm sure I sound backwards to probably 99% of the people here.

homage, respect, tradition, nice combo of fight the power between two distinct generations, and Neil can still play, damn.

Yeah everything since Rust Never Sleeps is completly hit or miss, mostly miss.

Ragged Glory (Ok but lazy and redundant)

Harvest Moon (Strong songs but a little MOR)

Sleeps With Angels (I likee I likee alot) LOVE THAT RECORD

Silver & Gold (easily underrated, some good songs but also starting to lose it "buffalo springfield again" for example)

Greendale (I don't get it, sorry)

Praire Wind (overrated MOR, songs don't hold up)

Living With War (I politely ignored this)

Chrome Dreams II (just put out the box set please)

Why did I just post this, because I'm a crazy Neil Young fan who answers his own questions and yes I left out a few albums I know. Oh Mirror Ball (Dowtown, lets go Downtown)

Wilco should open for MatchBox 20. :pirate

I saw the Lemonheads and Ben Lee open for Matchbox 20 and that was cool. Hey, I actually can stand Matchbox 20.

Now that my credibility is shot.

personally, I hate his music (with the expection of some of that Massey Hall album and On the Beach), but it goes beyond that. I feel like if you're still kind of (relatively) an up-and-coming rock band getting more mainstream attention, the last person I'd want to go on tour with is Neil Young. Why? a) he's just another aging boomer relic who is pulling out the "rares" in order to wow the audience that grew up on his hits while simultaneously egging on your overzealous critic fans to give you more praise than you deserve. B) Each member of your band can singlehandedly outperform him and has made better records on their bad days than this guy's best days. however, due to the novelty fact that "he's freaking Neil Young!" you'll never be given the credit ('you' being Wilco) you really deserve.

I mean, come on, to be fair, I don't like Neil Young but I think we could all agree here Wilco puts him out of business in terms of actual showmanship. His songs, not that he can help it, are either given a folk rock or grunge rock treatment and they never are given the room to breath life. Whereas, you have a band like Wilco, with two superhuman musicians and probably the most likable singer-songwriter in his age group playing songs of more dense emotional (okay, opinion) and musical (this however I feel is fact) complexities-- the craftsmanship of the mentioned bringing a tight yet spaced out sound. I feel like Wilco going on tour with that guy is Wilco not giving themselves enough credit. Yeah, he's Neil Young, but you're doing now what he did yesterday in terms of making contemporary, fresh, new sounding music. You're not recycling as much as your contemporaries are, the music you make is as new now is his was then. You should be the ones on stage, you can't help it that the music business has (for the most part) aged more intelligently than him and you get overlooked.

don't get me wrong. if you wanna go see Neil Young, go see Neil Young. But everyone should be going ape over getting to see him open for Wilco, not the other way around. I'm sure I'm the only one that feels this way, I'm sure I sound backwards to probably 99% of the people here.

Seriously??? I'm speechless.

I don't know where I would start with that post. Its off base on about every subject mentioned.

Someone needs a lesson in music history.

That's probably the general consensus around here, actually.

I remember people going nuts for "Living With War". I was baffled, because I thought it was absolutely awful, but whatever.

And man, some of you people really need to lighten up and look up the word "subjective" in the dictionary, god damn.

Heh!

I remember people going nuts for "Living With War". I was baffled, because I thought it was absolutely awful, but whatever.

I agree. Neil even offered a bogus excuse. He said "why would I waste good material just to say Bush sucks". If he really feels that way, why did he waste good material on "Ohio"?

And man, some of you people really need to lighten up and look up the word "subjective" in the dictionary, god damn.

No, No, No. If we can't argue about this then we will be arguing about politics or something. At least I'd rather argue about something I believe in!

Yeah everything since Rust Never Sleeps is completly hit or miss, mostly miss.

Ragged Glory (Ok but lazy and redundant)

Harvest Moon (Strong songs but a little MOR)

Sleeps With Angels (I likee I likee alot) LOVE THAT RECORD

Silver & Gold (easily underrated, some good songs but also starting to lose it "buffalo springfield again" for example)

Greendale (I don't get it, sorry)

Praire Wind (overrated MOR, songs don't hold up)

Living With War (I politely ignored this)

Chrome Dreams II (just put out the box set please)

Why did I just post this, because I'm a crazy Neil Young fan who answers his own questions and yes I left out a few albums I know. Oh Mirror Ball (Dowtown, lets go Downtown)

:lol