It never ceases to amaze me...

Who says they were? Dude could have been taking the fall...

I guess that's possible, but what would be the point? There's nothing to protect. He's not a Senator anymore, nor a Pres or VP candidate.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure everyone here who is outraged is equally outraged at John McCain for cheating on his first wife.

I don't condone adultery, but I also don't understand people's fascination with other families' problems.

I think someone who tells the country he is fit to hold any political office should hold himself to a higher standard than a jerk or jerkess that cheats on a loving and supportive partner. I still can't get over how addicted to Hollywood people are. Our government is mainly for entertainment purposes now anyway.

I guess that's possible, but what would be the point? There's nothing to protect. He's not a Senator anymore, nor a Pres or VP candidate.

Future ambitions, such as a cabinet position, might need protecting.

I guess there won't be an Attorney General Edwards, after all.

Big disappointment - I was hoping for an Obama/Edwards ticket at one point. Good thing that never happened.

For the life of me - as someone who's been married for over 13 yrs - I simply do not understand the logic of affairs. If your marriage isn't fulfilling, get a divorce. I know it gets more complicated when there are kids involved - but that's all the more reason to do it the right way.

Believe me, if Hillary had an affair, hetero or otherwise, we would find out about it, even if she was busted down to Chappaqua animal control officer.

I think I am still bitter over her staying with a man who cheated on her in front of the nation. I understand their empire status and all, but really.Is that worth staying for? Some say she has balls for staying and running for prez.I disagree.

Future ambitions, such as a cabinet position, might need protecting.

But I don't see how having a child with this woman would prevent that. And I don't see a campaign aide claiming to be the father and assuming all the added responsibility just to protect Edwards's shot at obtaining a cabinet position.

For the life of me - as someone who's been married for over 13 yrs - I simply do not understand the logic of affairs. If your marriage isn't fulfilling, get a divorce. I know it gets more complicated when there are kids involved - but that's all the more reason to do it the right way.

exactly... divorce is never pretty, but adultery is way worse

exactly... divorce is never pretty, but adultery is way worse

I know of only 2 people my age who's were parents were not divorced at least once. I think that is why I waited so long to marry. Marriage is taken lightly by a lot of people I suspose. Alcohol is usally a big factor in adultery.Isn't it ilegal in some states?

I have a hard time building up the moral outrage about this kind of stuff that so many do. He's a human, and he makes human mistakes. It sucks for his family, but it's also their deal, not mine.

Both Adultery AND Fornication are still misdemeanors in Minnesota.

serious.Like punishable? I only lived in MN for a summer.Not long enough to get in trouble.

and is that why MN doesn't sell booze after 8pm unless it's hot 3%.Or was that just in the twin cities area I was around?

I agree that this is an issue for him and his family to deal with. But I also have a hard time accepting that a man who freely used his personal life to further his political ambitions (eg, son of steel mill worker, etc.) shouldn't also be held accountable for lying about other aspects of his personal life. Is it fair for him to have it both ways? If not, isn't outrage reasonable?

I would have no problem with this negatively affecting his political career. Because this is part of his whole package, and many people do judge politicians on that stuff.

I just don't care.

I agree that this is an issue for him and his family to deal with. But I also have a hard time accepting that a man who freely used his personal life to further his political ambitions (eg, son of steel mill worker, etc.) shouldn't also be held accountable for lying about other aspects of his personal life. Is it fair for him to have it both ways? If not, isn't outrage reasonable?

and I do remember him keeping up his support the wife with cancer I am appearances on many talk shows. Holding her hand lovingly...

link? specifically fornication?

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statute...ord=fornication

609.34 FORNICATION.

When any man and single woman have sexual intercourse with each other, each is guilty of

fornication, which is a misdemeanor.

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statute...eyword=adultery

609.36 ADULTERY.

Subdivision 1. Acts constituting. When a married woman has sexual intercourse with a man

other than her husband, whether married or not, both are guilty of adultery and may be sentenced to

imprisonment for not more than one year or to payment of a fine of not more than $3,000, or both.

Subd. 2. Limitations. No prosecution shall be commenced under this section except on

complaint of the husband or the wife, except when such husband or wife is insane, nor after

one year from the commission of the offense.

Subd. 3. Defense. It is a defense to violation of this section if the marital status of the woman

was not known to the defendant at the time of the act of adultery.

I'll let you smart people ponder the significance that Fornication refers to "any man" and "single woman"... Not a "married woman"?

Oh wait - a married woman can only commit Adultery...

To my knowledge - both of these are "dead" statutes - meaning, they've never been acted upon.

I have a hard time building up the moral outrage about this kind of stuff that so many do. He's a human, and he makes human mistakes. It sucks for his family, but it's also their deal, not mine.

it's not the adultery that really bums me out necessarily, moreso that he entered the race with him AND Elizabeth (and likely quite a few others) knowing FULL well about it. so he and his campaign and family kept silent about it for 2+ years... did they REALLY truly think nobody would find out eventually?

I think someone who tells the country he is fit to hold any political office should hold himself to a higher standard than a jerk or jerkess that cheats on a loving and supportive partner.

I don't think that anybody should pretend to know what goes on in other people's relationships. I am not saying that Elizabeth isn't or hasn't been a supportive/loving partner, I just don't know, and neither do you. It's none of our business.

and I do remember him keeping up his support the wife with cancer I am appearances on many talk shows. Holding her hand lovingly...

and again, just because he had an affair it doesn't mean he doesn't love and support his wife and that it was just all an act. People make mistakes.

I agree with this.

and again, just because he had an affair it doesn't mean he doesn't love and support his wife and that it was just all an act. People make mistakes.

And was just about to say something like this. I don't doubt that he still loves his wife.

I don't think that anybody should pretend to know what goes on in other people's relationships. I am not saying that Elizabeth isn't or hasn't been a supportive/loving partner, I just don't know, and neither do you. It's none of our business.

by him appearing with his wife to talk about her cancer and how he was there for her blah blah blah (trying to get political points)while in reality he was hanging tough with another...

No, this shows how much he loves his wife.

I'd like to have an affair, but I just don't have the time nor the energy.

I hold you to a higher moral standard than others, just because you're Beltmann.

As far as politicians keeping their dicks in their pants, if their wives don't care, why should I? I figure it's an combined overflow of ambition and testosterone, and the little guy's still just campaigning.

I hold you to a higher moral standard than others, just because you're Beltmann.

As far as politicians keeping their dicks in their pants, if their wives don't care, why should I? I figure it's an combined overflow of ambition and testosterone, and the little guy's still just campaigning.

I know you!