The moderators say they'll follow abusive behavior to the Gates of Hell, but they won't even follow it to the cave where Sarah Palin hides from the media.

I dunno, that didn't even make sense, did it? Carry on. :beer

how are ya doing at work today, q? getting a lot done? :lol

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... did anyone watch the Palin interview last night and come away with an improved opinion of her and her ability to step in for the presidency if anything should happen to McCain?

Aside from a very small number of right-wing politicians and paid pundits, I have yet to hear anyone speak well of her performance.

has obama ever been interviewed on these subjects? i'm seriously asking. if i've missed it, i'd like to see/read it.
i was specifically interested in one-on-one interviews with a journalist.

kwall, if you're looking for an example, here's part one of a 6-part interview with Tim Russert on Meet the Press back in November 2007. He has appeared on that show alone 3 or 4 times (that I know of), and this week in particular he sat down with George Stephanopoulos and Bill O'Reilly. Those are just some "one-on-ones" that I can think of off the top of my head...god knows how many he's done since he threw his hat into the presidential race ring.

kwall, if you're looking for an example, here's part one of a 6-part interview with Tim Russert on Meet the Press back in November 2007. He has appeared on that show alone 3 or 4 times (that I know of), and this week in particular he sat down with George Stephanopoulos and Bill O'Reilly. Those are just some "one-on-ones" that I can think of off the top of my head...god knows how many he's done since he threw his hat into the presidential race ring.

Does two-on-one count? He did that national service forum last night with Judy Woodruff and Richard Stengel.

EDIT: Lord, I just essentially answered a question from kwall.

547423~Largemouth-Bass-Hooked-Posters.jpg

In other news, did anybody see McCain get worked over on The View, of all places? :dancing

Great stuff... I'm not a McCain hater but I'll be damned if he doesn't come off as extremely phony as of late. He just does not appear comfortable with the messages that he is delivering. The RNC and now the View... which truly is a softball environment....he just looks like he's in pain. Granted, 4 out of the 5 women are against him. As much as I don't want to see him win, it actually pains me to see Elizabeth Hasselback step in and try and help him along. Christ.

Great stuff... I'm not a McCain hater but I'll be damned if he doesn't come off as extremely phony as of late. He just does not appear comfortable with the messages that he is delivering. The RNC and now the View... which truly is a softball environment....he just looks like he's in pain. Granted, 4 out of the 5 women are against him. As much as I don't want to see him win, it actually pains me to see Elizabeth Hasselback step in and try and help him along. Christ.

It's quite visible that he is discomforted. How will he be at 3 A.M. when he has to "take the call'.

This saddens me, how phony and uncomfortable he has become. I used to really like McCain. Used to be he would've never done stuff like this; I really liked him and trusted his word. Even the average politician would stop telling bald-faced lies once every major news organization called them out. I would feel bad for him if this wasn't his own choosing.

From The Nation -- now this is even more frightening -- she seems to need a current events lesson as the Iraq war is not over as she has no idea how it began. And yes, I could care less that it is a woman that is clueless.

Palin Channels Cheney's 9/11-Iraq Falsehoods John Nichols

Fri Sep 12, 11:48 AM ET

The Nation -- When everyone's attention was focusing on Alaska Governor Sarah Palin's less-than-reassuring interview about foreign policy with ABC News anchor Charlie Gibson, the Republican nominee for vice president was off delivering a speech in which she suggested a dramatically greater ignorance of recent history and international affairs than was on display in the interview.

Speaking at Alaska's Fort Wainwright on Thursday, where she hailed the combat deployment of her son's Army unit to Iraq as a "righteous cause," Palin explicitly and repeatedly renewed the discredited claim that the invasion and occupation of Iraq was initiated as a necessary and credible response to the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

"You'll be there to defend the innocent from the enemies who planned and carried out and rejoiced in the deaths of thousands of Americans," Palin told the departing soldiers.

Palin's assessment directly contradicts that of President Bush and key members of his national security team.

After his administration got called out for trying to suggest an Iraq-terrorism connection -- following an over-the-top appearance by conspiracy-theorist-in-chief Dick Cheney on NBC's "Meet the Press," in which the vice president made the false claim that Iraq had been the "geographic base" for the 9/11 attacks -- Bush acknowledged on September 17, 2003, that, "We have no evidence that Saddam Hussein was involved with the 11 September attacks."

Then Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld agreed. At a Pentagon briefing on the same day Bush spoke, Rumsfeld was asked if Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein or those around him were personally involved in the September 11 attacks. Rumsfeld replied, "I've not seen any indication that would lead me to believe that I could say that."

Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, who was serving then as White House National Security Adviser, went even further. In an ABC "Nightline" interview, she insisted that, "We have never claimed that Saddam Hussein had either direction or control of 9/11."

Of course, that was a stretch, especially considering some of Cheney's comments.

But there is no question that, a full five years ago, the Bush administration had explicitly rejected any suggestion that it was appropriate to link the Iraq mission to September 11.

Yet, on the seventh anniversary of attacks on New York and Washington that were never legitimately linked to Saddam Hussein or Iraq, Sarah Palin was telling soldiers headed for Iraq that they are part of "the broad conflict that began seven years ago today."

Palin also told the troops: "America can never go back to that false sense of security that came before September 11, 2001."

Fair enough.

But isn't Palin creating a "false sense of security" by suggesting that the Iraq fight is an appropriate or meaningful response to 9/11? And isn't it unsettling that, as the United States prepares to see off a vice president who got in trouble for peddling fantasies regarding Saddam and terroirsm, the Republican nominee to replace Dick Cheney sounds an awfully lot like, er, Dick Cheney?

i actually left the homestead today and noticed sarah palin on the cover of Newsweek with a rifle slung over her shoulder. someone maybe should advise her not to allow that type of photograph anymore. it literally looks like she's aiming to follow in the steps of our current vice president, who as we all know went out looking something like she does and shot his friend in the face. it just isn't a good association to call up.

Did whoopi really ask if she needs to worry about being a slave?

And did McCain really say that was a good point!?

:frusty

C'mon, even those on the right must see the haze of bullshit that McCain is throwing out there now, no? Christ is he uncomfortable to watch now. It seemed everyone on the right wanted to dismiss this fact during the RNC "speech" but it's going to be a long couple of months.

And the VP pick just seemed so forced and hurried. I realize that there is always politics involved with VP selection but...wow!

I enjoy jnick's posts quite a bit. :thumbup Carry on.

In other news, did anybody see McCain get worked over on The View, of all places? :dancing

I was out of town staying in a hotel & accidently caught the view, a show I normally never watch. It was so funny! I thought Whoopie was gonna pop McCain :lol .

C'mon, even those on the right must see the haze of bullshit that McCain is throwing out there now, no? Christ is he uncomfortable to watch now. It seemed everyone on the right wanted to dismiss this fact during the RNC "speech" but it's going to be a long couple of months.

Yeah, but that's not the point - I agree with Tweedling here. Roe v. Wade and the end of slavery are not comparable in terms of the discussion about Supreme Court Justices they were having on the View. There is a constitutional amendment outlawing slavery, and that cannot be overturned by any Court, since that would take an Act of Congress (I am not up on my Constitutional Law, so there's a good chance I'm wrong about this), but the Supreme Court could overturn Roe v. Wade.

Did whoopi really ask if she needs to worry about being a slave?

And did McCain really say that was a good point!?

:frusty

yeah, how was that a good point? apparently, she misunderstands a strict interpretation of the constitution to mean ignoring the amendments.