Brand Spanking New Election Thread

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, even al-Qaida has CNN. Their opposition to the Western way of life goes far deeper than any party's policy, but I would imagine they take a tactical interest in who's in charge over here. If I were Osama I would endorse Obama, so McCain would win and get more Muslims to hate America.

I don't know -- sure, McCain would (probably?) help al Qaeda recruitment, but I think he's also more likely to maintain or increase American military presence in the middle east, which isn't really what al Qaeda wants. They wanted to get us tied up in a war we can't get out of, which happened, but long term don't they want American military out of the middle east, closing the military bases in Saudi Arabia and backing off from our protection of Israel?

I don't know -- sure, McCain would (probably?) help al Qaeda recruitment, but I think he's also more likely to maintain or increase American military presence in the middle east, which isn't really what al Qaeda wants. They wanted to get us tied up in a war we can't get out of, which happened, but long term don't they want American military out of the middle east, closing the military bases in Saudi Arabia and backing off from our protection of Israel?

I beg to differ, AQ definately wants an american presence that looks permanent. It helps their cause immensly.

On a separate note...Oprah. Is it fair that she does not inteview Palin? Republican women seem to think it is Oprahs duty to have her on. Especially since Obama has been on twice. But she has had Obam on in 2005 & 2006 before he was a candidate. Palin is the VP candidate, so shouldn't these people be pushing her to have McCain on? All in all I think the argument these women put forth is f&*%ing stupid, and they act as though the American Public is full of non-thinking drones, who will be unable to note that Obama's visits are pre-canidacy.

WTF...Karl Rove says McCain has gone to far? The guy whose people slimed McCain horribly say's McCain is over the line? What is happening to the world as I know it?

Is Oprah Biased? Host Won't Interview Palin

Republican VP Nominee Sarah Palin Isn't Welcome on 'Oprah'

By EMILY FRIEDMAN

Sept. 5, 2008

She may have let Tom Cruise jump all over her couch, but Oprah Winfrey says that Sarah Palin can't even sit on it.

Fans of Oprah debate whether the talk show host is being bias but not invited Palin on her show before the election.

At least not until after the presidential election, that is.

Responding to media reports first publicized on Matt Drudge's "The Drudge Report" claiming there was turmoil at Winfrey's Harpo Studios about whether to book the GOP vice presidential nominee on the popular talk show, Winfrey's camp said today that while she has nothing against Palin, the veep hopeful won't appear on the show anytime soon.

"The item in today's 'Drudge Report' is categorically untrue," Winfrey said in a written statement provided to ABCNews.com. "There has been absolutely no discussion about having Sarah Palin on my show.

"At the beginning of the presidential campaign, when I decided that I was going to take my first public stance in support of a candidate, I made the decision not to use my show as a platform for any of the candidates," Winfrey wrote.

"Alaska Women Reject Palin" Rally

Did Palin show interest in being on Oprah in the first place? Seems to me that she'd want to stay as far away from that scene as possible if she's barely willing to be interviewed at all. In any case, now they can safely use this "snub" against Obama in one convoluted way or another.

Did Palin show interest in being on Oprah in the first place? Seems to me that she'd want to stay as far away from that scene as possible if she's barely willing to be interviewed at all. In any case, now they can safely use this "snub" against Obama in one convoluted way or another.

I

verrry interesting -- with great pics, showing some protest signs with sparks. my favorite might be the young girl holding a big sign that says "THANKS BUT NO THANKS, SARAH! I DESERVE A BETTER ROLE MODEL."

i don't get the oprah fuss. obama was on before he was a candidate, so none of the pres. or v.p. candidates since their announcing have been on oprah.

if oprah were to change her policy about having candidates on her show this year and interview v.p. candidate palin, she might be obliged to have v.p. candidate biden on as well -- but not obama and not mccain. in any case, i think her decision not to interview any of them on her show was a wise one because she endorsed one of them.

Good to see nothing changed here over the weekend. I assume you have discussed Tina Fey's impersonation of Palin?

I missed it. Was it any good?

At the moment, I feel defeated, and I get the sense that this country will, yet again, vote for and receive the leader it deserves – and I don’t think it will be Obama. If the past eight years do not serve as reason enough to demand a change in leadership, nothing will.

I feel like there has been a stange silence on the Dem side since the GOP convention. Its hard to argue that the GOP has the momentum when it feels like the Dems aren't even trying. I was watching the OSU/USC football game Saturday night, and the pain of actually watching that wretched game was only intensified by seeing a McCain/Palin ad during every commercial break. I don't remember seeing any Obama ads. You know, its not like this is a battleground state or anything. And its not like this was an event that you could guarantee a large percentage of Ohio residents would be watching TV for.

As much I'm the type who hates to think that anybody decides their vote based on the frequency of TV ads, the fact is that a lot of people do. You hear something repeated often enough (especially without rebuttal from the other side), you tend to go with it. Is anybody at the wheel of this campaign? Maybe there's a master plan at work here. I dunno.

As much I'm the type who hates to think that anybody decides their vote based on the frequency of TV ads, the fact is that a lot of people do. You hear something repeated often enough (especially without rebuttal from the other side), you tend to go with it. Is anybody at the wheel of this campaign? Maybe there's a master plan at work here. I dunno.

It seems as though we now decide everything that way, so, I guess it comes as no surprise (or should come as no surprise) that sooner or later, choosing a political candidate would hold no more importance than choosing a brand of soda or beer or a particular purveyor of fast food based almost entirely on who presents the more appealing marketing campaign.

It seems as though we now decide everything that way, so, I guess it comes as no surprise (or should come as no surprise) that sooner or later, choosing a political candidate would hold no more importance than choosing a brand of soda or beer or a particular purveyor of fast food based almost entirely on who presents the more appealing marketing campaign.

I