New and Improved 3-ply election thread...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really think it has anything to do with anything. More distracting from the issues.

Which of course, is all this campaign suspension thing is too. But, with a twist. He's distracting from his response to the issue by diverting attention to his 'response' to the issue.

I agree that this McCain move to suspend the campaign is a pure, hollow stunt. But this Late Show stuff is all Letterman ego. McCain (rightly) didn't want to be painted as the guy yukking it up on the Late Show as the economy is imploding.

As for why he lied to Dave? Maybe he didn't want to tell Dave that he didn't want to painted as the guy yukking it up on the Late Show with Dave?

It's still all stunt to me, but completely blown out of proportion. And to suggest that the "lie" is indicative of anything broader seems like a stretch.

So when should I expect my bailout check?

Its in the mail. But we're cutting funding to the Postal Service. You'll have to come get it. Its in Alaska. In a cave surrounded by hungry polar bears. But don't worry, they mostly just cannibalize themselves anymore, so there are fewer of them.

i'll spot you the letterman thing being blown out of proportion...but not he overall 'suspension' of his campaign. not that i'd vote for him anyway, but it just strikes me as both hollow as hell and desperate...i don't give a fuck what bill clinton says. maybe he isn't 'afraid' of a debate, but he's sure looking to distract everyone from recently highlighted inadequicies in his ticket.

Its in the mail. But we're cutting funding to the Postal Service. You'll have to come get it. Its in Alaska. In a cave surrounded by hungry polar bears. But don't worry, they mostly just cannibalize themselves anymore, so there are fewer of them.

:lol I'd rather be poor.

As for anyone thinking McCain is just trying to put off the debate with Obama, I'll use Bill Clinton's quote:

"We know he didn't do it because he's afraid, because Sen. McCain wanted more debates. I presume he did that in good faith since I know he wanted -- I remember he asked for more debates to go all around the country and so I don't think we ought to overly parse that."

Got to get that But Clinton said... in there. That is so old school. Anyhow this is not about McCain not wanting to debate (though I seriously think he does not want to, I think his temper and his contradictary nature will be laid wide open regardless of the topic) This is more about getting next week's VP debate cancelled.

So now I'm hearing from some Republican "friends" on another board that the whole Palin-Couric interview was CBS' attempt to make Palin look bad and the truth will come out with the transcript of the interview. Just like with Charlie Gibson.

I don't think anyone is blowing the Letterman thing out of proportion. It's simply funny. The issue that is really being raised in McCain wanting to push off the debates and his campaign. He is very clearly trying to stop the bleeding. His running mate is nuts and totally unqualified and he is ill-prepared to debate himself.

I don't think anyone is blowing the Letterman thing out of proportion. It's simply funny. The issue that is really being raised in McCain wanting to push off the debates and his campaign. He is very clearly trying to stop the bleeding. His running mate is nuts and totally unqualified and he is ill-prepared to debate himself.

I think people saying that him lying to Letterman being a microcosm for everything wrong with America is kind of blowing it out of proportion.

I think people saying that him lying to Letterman being a microcosm for everything wrong with America is kind of blowing it out of proportion.

I don't disagree... however, I can somewhat understand why Letterman himself would be annoyed. However, still funny.

Who said it was a microcosm for everything wrong with America? I think perhaps you're the one blowing it out of proportion.

If McCain doesn't show up they should invite every 3rd party candidate they can find.

It won't happen unfortunately, but Bob Barr is trying:

"For the past several elections, candidates have used the [Commission on Presidential Debates, the organization responsible for organizing debates] as an official buffer to keep competition out of the two-party presidential contest," Barr said in a statement. "McCain publicly proved with his announcement what we've been saying all along: The candidates call the shots as to when to debate, where to debate and who to debate. Given Senator McCain's political stunt to avoid the debate, I ask that Friday's debate moves forward without him, as I am more than willing to step in to participate."

So now I'm hearing from some Republican "friends" on another board that the whole Palin-Couric interview was CBS' attempt to make Palin look bad and the truth will come out with the transcript of the interview. Just like with Charlie Gibson.

And how, exactly, is Couric responsible for Palin

Who said it was a microcosm for everything wrong with America? I think perhaps you're the one blowing it out of proportion.

It was sarcasm to indicate how much it has been blown out of proportion by some on this board.

The Palin bashing on this board is ridiculous.

Seriously, if we had to pick the one of the 4 people running, wouldn't Joe Biden be the one who's coming across as the least qualified for anything. He's constantly saying things that are either wrong or hurting Obama.

I think Palin will do great in a debate against Biden. I can't wait to hear what stupid things come out of Biden's mouth.

Does anyone thing McCain might do the old switch-a-roo with his VP pick? I kind of have a feeling that if this whole debate thing doesn't work in his favor, he'll dump Palin for Romney. There will be a huge surge in the polls again because of it and he'll be back on top, right in time for the election.

As I understand it any attempt to get her to answer a question is simply an attempt to make her look bad? Got it. So I guess all interviews should be confined to hunting, hockey, notherhood and how terrible the democrats are.

But if it really was an attempt to embarass her, and I am assuming they look at all interviews as being such, How on earth did she end up falling into that trap? What on earth will she do when a foreign leader draws her intoa similar trap?

Gibson's interview of Palin for ABC already showed us what they're willing to do to discredit Palin.

Gibson's interview was atrocious. Gibson came across like all Al Gore, John Kerry and Obama.....pompous, arrogant. If anybody at anytime ever screamed of "I'm smart and you're not", it was Gibson in that interview.

In my opinion, that's what has cost Democrats the Presidency the last 2 elections and will probably cost them this election.

The Palin bashing on this board is ridiculous.

Seriously, if we had to pick the one of the 4 people running, wouldn't Joe Biden be the one who's coming across as the least qualified for anything. He's constantly saying things that are either wrong or hurting Obama.

I think Palin will do great in a debate against Biden. I can't wait to hear what stupid things come out of Biden's mouth.

Now that's funny