New and Improved 3-ply election thread...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of McCain and Letterman, Dave is the grumpy, bitter, old one.

Anyone with a brain knows that McCain cancelled his Letterman appearance mostly as symbolism, after announcing that he wants to halt his campaign to help with the economy problem. Letterman may not like the reality that his show is considered a light, comedy show...not a show to discuss weighty matters.

McCain most likely interviewed with Couric to clarify any misunderstandings about Palin's suggestion that the road were on COULD lead to a Depression. McCain probably wanted to give his take....as HE is the one fighting to be president.

McCain had been on Letterman 13 times, and Letterman apparently likes McCain a lot. Sad that Letterman's bitterness, grumpiness, and mean-ness got the better of him.

Why did he lie to Letterman though?

Suspending the campaign is damage control at this point.

The Republicans now have Davis and Palin as huge PR liabilities and the less they have to open their mouths right now, the better.

I can see Davis scratching his head: "We have to go to the mattresses. How can we spin this?"

McCain suspending his campaign is a purely symbolic move.

symbolic of him being a maverick bi-partisan fixer upper putting 'country first' or a holy shit hail mary because my campaign is deflating somewhat and debates are just going to make it worse?

seriously. it's like obama stated in his press conference yesterday afternoon that the new president will have to 'deal with more than one thing at once.' so yeah...deal.

symbolic of him being a maverick bi-partisan fixer upper putting 'country first' or a holy shit hail mary because my campaign is deflating somewhat and debates are just going to make it worse?

He hopes it's the former, but it's coming off as the latter to everyone but his most ardent supporters.

If McCain doesn't show up they should invite every 3rd party candidate they can find.

I'd love to see the Green Party debate in front of anything less than the Hip Hop Nation. A VP debate against Clemente & Palin would be sweet. She's a community organizer & a Hip-Hop activist. Total joke, but they deserve to debate.

Why did he lie to Letterman though?

How is it lying?

Obviously, McCain felt talking with Couric fell in the category of working towards solving the economy problem. McCain's partner, Palin, had just made comments about the economy, and McCain must have felt he wanted to give HIS take on the economy, before heading to Washington.

Letterman's pissed because McCain treated his show for what it is.....a late-night COMEDY show (although that's debatable the past few years). McCain was understandably worried about the perception of appearing on a goofy late-night show after claiming he was gonna focus on the economy.

As for anyone thinking McCain is just trying to put off the debate with Obama, I'll use Bill Clinton's quote:

"We know he didn't do it because he's afraid, because Sen. McCain wanted more debates. I presume he did that in good faith since I know he wanted -- I remember he asked for more debates to go all around the country and so I don't think we ought to overly parse that."

Of McCain and Letterman, Dave is the grumpy, bitter, old one.

Anyone with a brain knows that McCain cancelled his Letterman appearance mostly as symbolism, after announcing that he wants to halt his campaign to help with the economy problem. Letterman may not like the reality that his show is considered a light, comedy show...not a show to discuss weighty matters.

McCain most likely interviewed with Couric to clarify any misunderstandings about Palin's suggestion that the road were on COULD lead to a Depression. McCain probably wanted to give his take....as HE is the one fighting to be president.

McCain had been on Letterman 13 times, and Letterman apparently likes McCain a lot. Sad that Letterman's bitterness, grumpiness, and mean-ness got the better of him.

Spin spin spin.

If it was truly symbollic and he truly wants to work on the ecnomic crisis he would have not done Couric and would have cancelled this mornings speach in New York. He's in no hurry to really return to Washington. Also if he was truly interested in solving the crisis he would have actually read the reports from the president and congress sometime before yesterday. BTW it was by his own admission that we learned he had not been reading this stuff until yesterday.

How is it lying?

Obviously, McCain felt talking with Couric fell in the category of working towards solving the economy problem. McCain's partner, Palin, had just made comments about the economy, and McCain must have felt he wanted to give HIS take on the economy, before heading to Washington.

Letterman's pissed because McCain treated his show for what it is.....a late-night COMEDY show (although that's debatable the past few years). McCain was understandably worried about the perception of appearing on a goofy late-night show after claiming he was gonna focus on the economy.

As for anyone thinking McCain is just trying to put off the debate with Obama, I'll use Bill Clinton's quote:

"We know he didn't do it because he's afraid, because Sen. McCain wanted more debates. I presume he did that in good faith since I know he wanted -- I remember he asked for more debates to go all around the country and so I don't think we ought to overly parse that."

He told Letterman he was canceling so that he could return to Washington immediately, but instead he showed up on the CBS Evening News and then the Clinton Global Initiative forum thing this morning before heading back to Washington. That's how it's a lie. He said was doing one thing but then did something else. Hence my assertion that Letterman would probably have gone easier on him had he said that the CBS Evening News would be more beneficial to him than going on Letterman, rather than making something up about going back to Washington right away. I agree with you that appearing on the CBS Evening News may have made more sense for the McCain campaign, but that is not what he told Letterman.

He told Letterman he was canceling so that he could return to Washington immediately, but instead he showed up on the CBS Evening News and then the Clinton Global Initiative forum thing this morning before heading back to Washington. That's how it's a lie. He said was doing one thing but then did something else.

Wait , is it a lie, a flip-flop, or making a maverick decision as the situation changes? I get confused.

I was going to mention that, too, the bit about McCain previously wanting to do town hall things. That would have been cool, actually.

But I think McCain looks like he needs a break. Campaigning is brutal, he seems to be in damage-control mode, and he looks badly fatigued lately and has not been sharp in recent interviews. (numerous gaffes such as the Spain thing, forgetting that Czechoslovakia isn't a country anymore, etc.) Dude needs a nap.