New and Improved 3-ply election thread...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel as though it's entirely possible that Palin has put zero thought into foreign policy before last month -- which is fine, foreign policy isn't a big concern to the mayor of Wasilla, and only a little bit more of a concern to the government of Alaska. I just would rather that they said, no, she doesn't have foreign policy experience but she's learning very quickly, instead of taking me for an idiot who thinks that the fact that Russia can be seen from some remote Alaskan island that Palin has never visited counts as some sort of foreign policy credential.

I believe Laura Bush said something to that effect when she was questioned about Palin's lack of foreign policy experience. Not sure why McCain hasn't caught on.

I feel as though it's entirely possible that Palin has put zero thought into foreign policy before last month -- which is fine, foreign policy isn't a big concern to the mayor of Wasilla, and only a little bit more of a concern to the government of Alaska. I just would rather that they said, no, she doesn't have foreign policy experience but she's learning very quickly, instead of taking me for an idiot who thinks that the fact that Russia can be seen from some remote Alaskan island that Palin has never visited counts as some sort of foreign policy credential.

You would think so right, but get this, I recently scored a lucrative, high paying position as an Oceanographer aboard the prestigious National Geographic research vessel, SS BJ

Somehow I missed this part....what?

Palin met with some foreign leaders at the UN. Afterwards, a reporter asked her what she had learned from the meetings, and the McCain people said no, she can't answer that and shuffled her away from the press.

Seems like a pretty innocuous question. Pretty sure the press would have been satisfied with a trite response so I'm not sure the point of shielding her from that kind of questioning. I really think that McCain is planning to keep her guarded from real scrutiny all the way until the election. At first I assumed there would just a few weeks before we saw her all over the place, as they prepped her on their platform and talking points, but they're keeping her on such a short leash right now that I'm not convinced it's going to change.

watching that interview w/ katie couric, i couldn't help but wait for her to say: 'Oh, he's very popular Katie. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.'

seriously, she's a younger, more attractive edie mcclurg.

watching that interview w/ katie couric, i couldn't help but wait for her to say: 'Oh, he's very popular Katie. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.'

holy shit, you're right

Somehow I missed this part....what?

CNN & the others were granated access for 29 seconds when Palin met Karazai and then shuttled (shoved?) quickly out of the room. I believe the same thing occurred with each leader she met with. It may hhave been camera men only to with maybe one CNN producer allowed in. The implications were clear, the campaign wants photo's of her out there meeting with these people to bolster her foreign policy cred, but don't want anyone to hear what is discussed or have the opportunity to ask any question.

So far since declaring this a national emergency needing his urgent and immediate attention in Washington, McCain has skipped Letterman to rush cross town to Katie Couric for an interview? Then rushed immediately to..The other side of town to speak at the Clinton Global Initiative this morning. I'm sure he'll make his way back to Washington soon.

This was all a publicity stunt akin to a kid calling a truce in some game then as soon as the other side abided by the truce the kid takes off again yelling over his shoulder game back on. Unfortuantely for McCain Obama thus far has not fallen for it.

Damn good call! :rotfl

CNN & the others were granated access for 29 seconds when Palin met Karazai and then shuttled (shoved?) quickly out of the room. I believe the same thing occurred with each leader she met with. It may hhave been camera men only to with maybe one CNN producer allowed in. The implications were clear, the campaign wants photo's of her out there meeting with these people to bolster her foreign policy cred, but don't want anyone to hear what is discussed or have the opportunity to ask any question.

That was actually a separate incident.

This is the latest.

3 IDIOTS - THE DUMB, THE SAD AND THE GRUMPY

BIDEN:

“When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn’t just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, ‘Look, here’s what happened.”‘

ALCEE HASTINGS (Florida Democratic Congressman):

"If Sarah Palin isn't enough of a reason for you to get over whatever your problem is with Barack Obama, then you damn well had better pay attention. Anybody toting guns and stripping moose don't care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks. So you just think thise through."

DAVID LETTERMAN:

“I’m more than a little disappointed by this behavior. We’re suspending the campaign. Suspending it because there’s an economic crisis, or because the poll numbers are sliding?

“This doesn’t smell right, because this is not the way a tested hero behaves. I think someone's put something in his Metamucil.”

You know, if these silly fucks want to suspend their campaign because the crisis is just too important then I say go back to DC and save the economy and let Barack and Joe take the White House by default.

I bet that Letterman wouldn't have been as hard on McCain if he had said "Listen Dave, I think that my time is better spent on the CBS Evening News than on the Late Show" rather than lying and saying he was going back to Washington right away. It was a pointless lie, but indicative of how the McCain campaign has handled itself.

So far since declaring this a national emergency needing his urgent and immediate attention in Washington, McCain has skipped Letterman to rush cross town to Katie Couric for an interview? Then rushed immediately to..The other side of town to speak at the Clinton Global Initiative this morning. I'm sure he'll make his way back to Washington soon.

Skipping Leterman ain't cool McCain. Our Late Night Hosts & comedians have a lot of influence in this country. When I was young Letterman was the only place I listened to news like stuff. A lot of America does look to TV and radio personalities to show them the light.

Edit: Not me. But it sure is fun.

I'd hardly call David Letterman an idiot for calling bullshit on McCain for lying to him about having to immediately get on a plane to DC and then going 2 doors down to do a different interview.

Actually, as I followed the header, I perceived this to be a "Dave is grumpy" statement.

Palin met with some foreign leaders at the UN. Afterwards, a reporter asked her what she had learned from the meetings, and the McCain people said no, she can't answer that and shuffled her away from the press.

Seems like a pretty innocuous question. Pretty sure the press would have been satisfied with a trite response so I'm not sure the point of shielding her from that kind of questioning. I really think that McCain is planning to keep her guarded from real scrutiny all the way until the election. At first I assumed there would just a few weeks before we saw her all over the place, as they prepped her on their platform and talking points, but they're keeping her on such a short leash right now that I'm not convinced it's going to change.

:thumbup Thanks. This is like a silly Lifetime movie about a small town hockey mom that kills the president..

I'd hardly call David Letterman an idiot for calling bullshit on McCain for lying to him about having to immediately get on a plane to DC and then going 2 doors down to do a different interview.

Of McCain and Letterman, Dave is the grumpy, bitter, old one.

Anyone with a brain knows that McCain cancelled his Letterman appearance mostly as symbolism, after announcing that he wants to halt his campaign to help with the economy problem. Letterman may not like the reality that his show is considered a light, comedy show...not a show to discuss weighty matters.

McCain most likely interviewed with Couric to clarify any misunderstandings about Palin's suggestion that the road were on COULD lead to a Depression. McCain probably wanted to give his take....as HE is the one fighting to be president.

McCain had been on Letterman 13 times, and Letterman apparently likes McCain a lot. Sad that Letterman's bitterness, grumpiness, and mean-ness got the better of him.