AL Cy Young: Should be Cliff Lee, will be Cliff Lee

AL Rookie of the Year: Should be Alexei Ramirez, will be Evan Longoria

AL Manager of the Year: Should be Mike Scioscia, will be Joe Maddon

NL MVP: Should be Albert Pujols, not sure who it will be

NL Cy Young: Should be Brandon Webb, will be Brandon Webb

NL Rookie of the Year: Should be Geovany Soto, will be Geovany Soto

NL Manager of the Year: Should be Fredi Gonzalez, will be Lou Piniella

Guest Hollinger.

Yeah, I'd give the CY to Lincecum or even Santana before Webb. Wins don't mean anything, Lincecum would have 30 wins this year with the Dbacks playing behind him. That he's put up these numbers on an awful team is much more indicative of performance.

And Alexei Ramirez is a terrible excuse for a baseball player. He hacks wildly at pitches that are no where near the zone and his defensive instincts are insanely bad. Playing in fast forward doesn't work when you lack the fundamental coordination to play baseball.

I don't think Ramirez is skilled enough to have a great career, but he had a very good season and I think deserves the award. It may have been luck, but the results are the results.

And my initial pick of Webb had zero to do with wins -- I looked at WHIP, K/BB, the fact that he had a pretty good ERA in a big time hitters ballpark, and IP. Lincecum does top him in most of those, though he also walked a lot of guys and threw a lot of pitches. Overall, he's probably the better choice. I'm about 98% sure that Webb will win it though.

Guest Hollinger.

I'll let somebody else do the talking here...

Phil Rogers is also suggesting that White Sox second baseman Alexei Ramirez is a front-runner for American League Rookie of the Year. Certainly, the 26 year old beanpole Cuban has emerged as a strong option as he has hit .296/.318/.477 in 442 at-bats with 18 home runs but Tampa's Evan Longoria's three home run performance against the Twins on Thursday night may have solidified his election as despite spending significant time on the DL, Longoria has still hit .281/.353/.544 with 25 home runs in 406 at-bats. The difference between the two being that as Longoria has spend the majority of his at-bats batting either clean-up or in the 5th spot, Rameriz has been seeing cushier pitching batting anywhere from 7th through 9th in the Sox order. In my opinion - which is hardly worth the bandwidth it is printed on - I believe that the electoral process for ROY is determined by the clunkier statistics like RBI, average and runs scored (not to mention home runs). Credence is given to some defense. For instance Longoria is credited as being the complete package becuase he plays a very solid third base -- ranking 4th among starters in the Fielding Bible resulting in nearly +10 runs saved. Rogers labeled Ramirez as "an ultrasolid fielder" which is simply untrue, in fact nothing could be further from the truth. According the Fielding Bible, in Ramirez's 920 innings logged at second base, the Cuban Missile has cost his team approximately -9 runs, placing him at 27th among major league second baseman. When you consider the all-around play of the two rookies it is clear that Longoria, at the young age of 22, is the better rookie. Because I believe the award is a charade, let's look at another outside candidate - unlike the race for the Presidency, the Rookie of the Year should not be a two-man race. Twins right fielder Denard Span, in his 100 fewer at-bats, has been every bit as an ignitor to his team as Longoria and Ramirez have. When you gauge by the Win Probability Added, Span has usurped both Ramirez and Longoria in providing the production to lead to team wins. Notably, Ramirez's offense has actually adversely effect his team at -0.10. Defensively you can say the same thing. His +14 run defensive performance is the second best as a right fielder in the American League (behind the Indian's Franklin Guetierrez at +28) and probably would have led all of baseball had he been up the entire season. Though Longoria will run away with the award simply because the Rays are full of feelgoodery this year and 25+ home runs this season, Denard Span should get some serious consideration.
26 YEARS IS OVER!!!! BREWERS IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!

:cheers

I tried to explain the magnitude of this to my 4-year-old daughter, but you have to endure 26 years of futility to fully appreciate it. We have 4 tickets to Saturday's game, which is game 3 of the series. I'm still in shock--playoff games in Milwaukee!!!--and a little hoarse.

I blame Willie Randolph. Congrats to the Brewers and their fans.

I tried to explain the magnitude of this to my 4-year-old daughter, but you have to endure 26 years of futility to fully appreciate it. We have 4 tickets to Saturday's game, which is game 3 of the series. I'm still in shock--playoff games in Milwaukee!!!--and a little hoarse.

That's awesome, Eric! The atmosphere at Miller Park on Saturday will sure be something.

I tried to explain the magnitude of this to my 4-year-old daughter, but you have to endure 26 years of futility to fully appreciate it.

So...you're saying...you hope the Brewers don't make it to the playoffs for another 26 years...so your daughter will be able to appreciate it better?

oh sure! if i had kids, as a red sox fan that's surely what i'd have hoped for them. :rolleyes