The like, newest new election thread

This just in. And I don't know what, if any thread this belongs in. And, yes, this is real.

The daycare my kids go to just received an envelope of white powder and a threatening letter. :omg Details are scarce thus far, but I spoke with one of the teachers and the substance turned out to be something benign. I don't know any details about the content of the letter, but the investigation has turned to the subject of who the hell would do this? Is this 2001 again??

This post resides in the politics thread only because I'm trying to rationalize this and figure it out who on earth would do something like this and why. And in the back of my head I can't discount the fact that a tense election season has the potential to bring the crazies out of the woodwork trying to effectively push domestic terror fears back into the spotlight. (because, really, what on earth could you be hoping to achieve by this?) Or it could just as easily be somebody with a grudge against somebody there. Former employee, maybe? I duno. I'm kind of numb. Relieved that this turned out to be nothing, but pissed that this kind of shit is happening at all. Argh. Lets just leave it at that.

Jesus Christ, Brian, that's fucked up. Vibes to you and the kids.....did they evacuate?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty low, to involve a place with kids. It'll probably trace back to some former employee, as you guessed, or else a disgruntled parent whose child used to be at the daycare. How sad that somebody needed attention, or "revenge" bad enough to go at it that way. :no

In other news, I heard somebody refer to Sarah Palin yesterday as "Caribou Barbie". :lol I liked that.

That's pretty low, to involve a place with kids. It'll probably trace back to some former employee, as you guessed, or else a disgruntled parent whose child used to be at the daycare. How sad that somebody needed attention, or "revenge" bad enough to go at it that way. :no

In other news, I heard somebody refer to Sarah Palin yesterday as "Caribou Barbie". :lol I liked that.

oooh oooh oooh, I can't remember who said it, but one of the folks presenting at the HRC annual fundraising dinner on Saturday night in DC had that in their speech. Nice to see it has spread through the masses so rapidly.

that's just sick.

Apparently McCain told a crowd of Latinos that their donkey is on fire. :rotfl Can that possibly be true?

I'm not saying this a huge deal, but the Wall Street Journal has this nugget about something Joe Biden referred to in the debate....if Palin had been caught in such a lie or mis-statement, it would have been mocked relentlessly by people on this board and on SNL, among other places:

"Closer to home, the Delaware blarney stone also invited Americans to join him at "Katie's restaurant" in Wilmington to witness middle-class struggles. Just one problem: Katie's closed in the 1980s. The mistake is more than a memory lapse because it exposes how phony is Mr. Biden's attempt to pose for this campaign as Lunchbucket Joe."

Stephanie Miller (www.stephaniemiller.com) has been using that term for Palin on her radio show, pretty much since day 1 (when they discovered that Palin was a former beauty queen AND a moose hunter).

[insert plug for Miller's show here - she rawks]

I'm not saying this a huge deal, but the Wall Street Journal has this nugget about something Joe Biden referred to in the debate....if Palin had been caught in such a lie or mis-statement, it would have been mocked relentlessly by people on this board and on SNL, among other places:

You say that as if Palin was not caught in any lies or misstatements during the debate.

"Closer to home, the Delaware blarney stone also invited Americans to join him at "Katie's restaurant" in Wilmington to witness middle-class struggles. Just one problem: Katie's closed in the 1980s. The mistake is more than a memory lapse because it exposes how phony is Mr. Biden's attempt to pose for this campaign as Lunchbucket Joe."

Umm...

http://www.delawareonline.com/blogs/second...shout-outs.html

UPDATED ON FRIDAY: OK, here's the deal, last night Biden did mention Katie's restaurant and Union Street.

But I checked The News Journal archives this morning and, well, don't plan on trying to find it on Union Street anytime soon. And I wonder if the Katie's today, which is now actually Wings to Go at Katies, is the same Katie's that Joe remembers.....

Katie's was at the corner of Sixth and Scott streets in Wilmington's Little Italy neighborhood. (Not Union Street.) It had been a local and much-loved institution, well known for its rich, thick Italian gravy (tomato sauce) and spaghetti. It was opened in 1936 by Silvio Spiezio, who later sold it in 1945. The Fugilino family owned and ran the restaurant for years until it was sold in the 1981 after Frances Mae Fugilino's death.

Katie's then changed hands again in 1985, but new owners kept the venerable name.

But it eventually changed hands again - at least 10 years ago, maybe even more like 15 years ago (SEE UPDATE BELOW) - and was renamed C.J. Bart's, which according to features reporter Ryan Cormier in a May 2008 News Journal story became " a spot with an unsavory reputation as a magnet for panhandlers and worse."

Cormier reported that Nate Johnson, owner of the Wilmington and Dewey Beach Wings to Go restaurants, recently took over CJ Bart's and renamed it Wings to Go at Katies "as an homage to its former residents.

Palin misquotes Albright from her Starbuck's Mocha cup

330v593.jpg

Albright responded to Palin's remarks in a statement to the Huffington Post on Sunday.

"Though I am flattered that Governor Palin has chosen to cite me as a source of wisdom, what I said had nothing to do with politics. This is yet another example of McCain and Palin distorting the truth, and all the more reason to remember that this campaign is not about gender, it is about which candidate has an agenda that will improve the lives of all Americans, including women. The truth is, if you care about the status of women in our society and in our troubled economy, the best choice by far is Obama-Biden."

Wow, I just watched the misquote video. Palin is a nut. Her use of the quote in the context of her speech is to essentially damn any woman who votes against her to hell. It's not exactly what she's saying, but it's the essence of her condemnation.

If you need to feel better about this kind of thing just check out the latest polls here http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

Wow, it was hard just to watch that clip. She is nails-on-a-chalkboard-while-squeaking-a-balloon-with-the-other-hand to me. So grating, so intensely annoying. I can't even imagine having her in the public eye for 4 years.....even this brief span has been hard to stomach.

Glen Greenwald commenting on a particularly nasty speech given by McCain this afternoon:

John McCain's unprecedentedly ugly speech today

(Updated below - Update II - Update III - Update IV)

In the last two months of this election -- as the Bush administration winds down as the most unpopular in modern American history and the Right is on the verge of a desperately-needed collective death -- we see a perfect microcosm of what our country has been over the last eight years. The financial crisis is spreading, accelerating, and morphing across the globe in unpredictable ways. The economic anxiety levels are as high as one can recall, teetering on panic, and even the Wall St. Journal Editorial Page is acknowledging that America's days of economic dominance are over. The national debt is over a staggering $10 trillion and has doubled in the last 8 years alone. And the symbols of our nation have become gulags, the waterboard, an endless stream of bombs and occupations, and people imprisoned forever with no charges of any kind.

And as these flames engulf America's foundations, what is the Right doing -- the movement that brought us all of this through their virtually absolute control of our Government for the last eight years? They're spending all their time chattering with each other about an aging 1960s radical and giddily cheering the increasingly repellent Sarah Palin as she skips around the country in front of rambunctiously booing right-wing crowds accusing Barack Obama of palling around with The Terrorists and pointing out that he doesn't see America the way all the Normal, Good Americans do. For the last eight years, the opponents of the Right have been America-hating Terrorists and they still are.

And just now, John McCain -- speaking in New Mexico -- delivered one of the ugliest, nastiest, most invective-filled personality attacks a major candidate has ever delivered, blatantly designed to stoke raw racial resentments and depict Obama as a Manchurian candidate funded by secret Arab Terrorist sources -- a truly unstable and hate-mongering rant filled with lines like these, delivered with an angry scowl to screaming, howling, booing throngs, while Cindy McCain stood behind him shaking her head in disgust at each fact she heard about the Black Terrorist daring to challenge her husband:

I don't need any lessons in being honest with the American people, and if I did, I wouldn't seek it from a Chicago politician. . . . There's much we don't know about Senator Obama. For a guy who has authored two memoirs, he's not exactly an open book. Who is the real Barack Obama?

It's as if somehow the usual rules don't apply, and where other candidates have to explain themselves and their records, Senator Obama seems to think he is above all that . . . His campaign had to return $33,000 in illegal foreign funds from Palestinian donors, and this weekend, we found out about another $28,000 in illegal donations. Why has Senator Obama refused to disclose the people who are funding his campaign? Again, the American people deserve answers.

I wonder what it is about Obama that allows "the usual rules not to apply" to him? McCain also repeatedly claimed that the fault of the financial crisis lies with Democrats who (despite controlling no branches of Government) forced banks to give mortgages to poor people who couldn't afford them (which, as we've seen, means minorities) and that Obama "aided and abetted" these practices. What are typically Rovian attack themes disseminated underneath the surface are being unleashed in their naked, unhidden form. As Marc Ambinder just put it with real understatement: "Sen. Barack Obama is, Sen. McCain said in New Mexico just now, a mystery, a liar, complicit in the economic crisis and an unaccomplished na

I just keep thinking.....I had brunch with Bill Ayers once...I guess I can't run for President.

LouieB

Damn, you just have to rub it in don't you? Now if you tell me that you hung out with Abbie I will be PISSED!

From the Washington Post:

In Fla., Palin Goes for the Rough Stuff as Audience Boos Obama

CLEARWATER, Fla. -- "Okay, so Florida, you know that you're going to have to hang onto your hats," Sarah Palin told a rally of a few thousand here this morning, "because from now until Election Day it may get kind of rough."

You betcha. And the person dishing out the roughest stuff at the moment is Sarah Palin.

"I was reading my copy of the New York Times the other day," she said.

"Booooo!" replied the crowd.

"I knew you guys would react that way, okay," she continued. "So I was reading the New York Times and I was really interested to read about Barack's friends from Chicago."

It was time to revive the allegation, made over the weekend, that Obama "pals around" with terrorists, in this case Bill Ayers, late of the Weather Underground. Many independent observers say Palin's allegations are a stretch; Obama served on a Chicago charitable board with Ayers, now an education professor, and has condemned his past activities.

"Now it turns out, one of his earliest supporters is a man named Bill Ayers," Palin said.

"Boooo!" said the crowd.

"And, according to the New York Times, he was a domestic terrorist and part of a group that, quote, 'launched a campaign of bombings that would target the Pentagon and our U.S. Capitol,'" she continued.

"Boooo!" the crowd repeated.

"Kill him!" proposed one man in the audience.

Palin went on to say that "Obama held one of the first meetings of his political career in Bill Ayers's living room, and they've worked together on various projects in Chicago." Here, Palin began to connect the dots. "These are the same guys who think that patriotism is paying higher taxes -- remember that's what Joe Biden had said. "And" -- she paused and sighed -- "I am just so fearful that this is not a man who sees America the way you and I see America, as the greatest force for good in the world. I'm afraid this is someone who sees America as 'imperfect enough' to work with a former domestic terrorist who had targeted his own country."

"Boooo!" said the audience.

source - http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-trail...r_the_roug.html

Kill him? I mean, WTF????