The like, newest new election thread

Obama's black.

Huh? When did that happen?

Re: the debate, both my wife and I thought both candidates were sort of stiff and repetetive with their answers relative to how we have heard them before. They also tended not to direclty answer the questions though Obama more often than McCain eventually got to somewhat of an answer.

We both thought that McCain looked robotic , almost like a disney animatronic figure the way he moved his arms and moved around the stage.

When taking the second question from the young black man McCain made a comment that the guy probably had not heard of Fannnie or Freddie until recently. We both thought that remark was condescending and will come back to haunt McCain. Blacks may percieve it as a slight as might younger voters. We thought it was a mistake to assume the guy didn't know who fannie and freddie were.

"That One"

During one question there was a woman with very creepy eyes next to the question asker.

Did anyone see the guy in the blue shirt in the back row on McCain's side who looked like Dick Cheany?

At the end I wasn't paying attention but when they were shaking hands etc...my wife asked where McCain was. Sure enough he was gone and the Obama's were out there still greeting and taking photo's .

All in all I think it was somewhat of a tie edging towards Obama.

Almost forgot this one...McCain kept on referring to Patreaus as the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. I wonder if Admiral Mullin realises McCain has replaced him.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obama by a nose.
For sure......

Nice......

Not very thrilling last night, but then again, I agree with whomever said they both look exhausted. I am. so they should be. I would love for one of them to tell the real truth which is we are SOL and the next president is going to spend a shitload of time simply trying to clear away the debris before any campaign promise can be even remotely kept. Clearly neither of them can do that (hell McCain promised a huge federal program that will cost billions and increase the size of the federal bureaucracy....), but that isn't going to happen before the election.

Even Kathren Parker (is that her name??) the conservative columnist realizes this sucker is over as does that asshole Charles Krumwhateverthefuckhisnameis..... The sun has already set on McCain Palin. One can only hope that Barak can find his way out of this morass.

LouieB

I'd like to know what McCain is talking about when he goes on about a victory in Iraq.

Get Your War On

The situation is so dire and complex that identifying and implementing a winning strategy now seems nearly impossible, at least not without a major effort from all involved parties. Which, is not very encouraging considering the Middle East

I wonder what percentage of people watch these things might possibly be swayed (certainly not me). I have a theory that most of us watch them out of some combination of a dubious sense of civic obligation and a sports fan's desire to see his/her team win.

It's like NASCAR. People on watch to see a crash.

From the Washington Post (an excerpt from a much longer article) -

"Worse, Palin's routine attacks on the media have begun to spill into ugliness. In Clearwater, arriving reporters were greeted with shouts and taunts by the crowd of about 3,000. Palin then went on to blame Katie Couric's questions for her "less-than-successful interview with kinda mainstream media." At that, Palin supporters turned on reporters in the press area, waving thunder sticks and shouting abuse. Others hurled obscenities at a camera crew. One Palin supporter shouted a racial epithet at an African American sound man for a network and told him, "Sit down, boy."

source - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8100602935.html

What a wonderful group of voters to court - the GOP should be really proud that they've secured the total fucking asshole, ignorant loser vote - congrats!

Don't forget, they also like guns. Lots of guns.

That was a really boring debate, which I think is good for Obama at this point.
I disliked the forum, and I thought the questions were weak. Just my opinion.

Yep and yep. Nothing of substance. Shitty/boring questions. Brokaw even worse, throwing in his own followups. Did nothing for McCain, and he needed a big moment. Oh well.

I have to say, I think Obama did a better job of at least attempting to answer the questions. McCain just went off on whatever tangent he wanted.

It's clearly time to start rigging voting machines outfitting ourselves for the apocalypse.

Yeah. That, too.

Yep and yep. Nothing of substance. Shitty/boring questions. Brokaw even worse, throwing in his own followups. Did nothing for McCain, and he needed a big moment. Oh well.

I have to say, I think Obama did a better job of at least attempting to answer the questions. McCain just went off on whatever tangent he wanted.

I didn't watch it (seriously, I don't see how anyone still has the stomach for all of this), but from the clips I've seen, I think everyone's being pretty generous by saying it was a tie.

I didn't watch it (seriously, I don't see how anyone still has the stomach for all of this), but from the clips I've seen, I think everyone's being pretty generous by saying it was a tie.

Well, they were both pretty good and seemed comfortable in the setup. We've heard it all before, though. Nothing really new, so a tie seems about right. McCain gave more direct jabs at Obama which gets tiring.

Well from what the immediate aftermath polls are saying*, perception is Obama seemed to have the more calm and collected demeanor and provided (again what the polls are saying, not me) more reasoned and nuanced answers to the questions actually asked. What this is seemingly resulting in is McCain's lone strength of "experience" is now a non-factor. Further, polls are showing that, despite being younger, less experienced and from the challenger party, voters now perceive Obama as the "safe choice." All this is interesting, but I don't think any of it is solid as that debate didn't seem to solidify anyone's opinions. In other words, supporters of each candidate are still supporters and undecideds may be leaning more one way or the other, but are far from making their final decisions.

*with the exception of the Fox News poll

How many times did McCain say "my friends"?

I find that kind of phrase insulting. He isn't any of the audience members/listeners friend. The average American yahoo finds it endearing. :yucky

How many times did McCain say "my friends"?

Way, WAY too many times.

The use of it did nothing to 'connect' with me. It was obviously a shallow and transparent ploy to reach the heart of the nation.

Speaking of shallow.........whats wrong with his cheeks? Does he have some sort of syndrome or condition or something? I find his cheeks very distracting.

You know the most interesting poll to me is Bush's approval rating. One in four people still think that guy is doing a bang-up job. Who are these people!?!

Exactly! I want to know so that I can avoid them.

I don't look for anyone to fail in this job.

(I guess that separates me from most of the rest of the posters here, but so be it)

i think you're dead wrong about that and giving most of the posters here short shrift. why do you think people care so much about this election? look at the condition of our country! the stakes are way bigger than just wanting your own horse to win. if i thought mccain had the smarts, will, and priorities to shift course, i'd want him to win. if he wins, i hope against hope he doesn't fail to shift course in positive ways. i think he would fail, which is why i'm not voting for him, but that's way different from wanting him to fail if he in fact becomes president.

brokaw was a dreadful moderator, managing to snuff out any potential for true debate at every turn. now there's a guy who will sacrifice just about anything for the sake of "the rules." since the death of russert, i've thought brokaw is over the hill and it's time for him to retire.

i don't know how the candidates have the stamina to keep going in these repetitive circles. they have to be exhausted. i'd be six feet under by now and sometimes, listening to them and to the pundits, i wish i were!

You know the most interesting poll to me is Bush's approval rating. One in four people still think that guy is doing a bang-up job. Who are these people!?!

they're probably the ones who still want to think obama is a muslim, and now think he's a domestic+ terrorist, and yell "kill him" when palin is doing her thing, and say stuff like "no way will i vote for that black boy" even when they know they're on national tv.

well, then are people like the real estate broker down the street from me who thinks bush has to be wonderful because he has a photo of himself with bush on a golf course. i confess i once taped a napkin over that photo on his wall when he wasn't looking -- as a JOKE -- and he hasn't spoken to me since.

A co-worker of mine has an 8X10 glossy of W on a cork bulletin board beside her desk, held up by push pins. I once stuck the push pins through W's eyes just for fun. And to see if she'd notice. Good times.

She didn't mention it, but it was corrected immediately. I have no doubt she knew who did it.