The like, newest new election thread

brokaw was a dreadful moderator, managing to snuff out any potential for true debate at every turn.

He really annoyed me! :realmad Let them debate all they want, screw the rules..go over if you need to, football games do. It was lame the way he kept scolding them.

You know, all this anger and fear McCain & Palin are creating scares me. The recent report concerning her mob of supporters turning on the media and screaming hate words & the "N" word over Palin's blame on Couric for a bad interview???WTF? This mob mentality shit can get crazy and should be put to a stop.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I confess i once taped a napkin over that photo on his wall when he wasn't looking -- as a JOKE -- and he hasn't spoken to me since.

I put a slimey booger on a pic of Bush my old spa boss had hanging in the break room. It was a signed pic with his dog. I did it the day she told me she was gonna breed her dog because it sounded like fun :realmad :realmad :realmad :realmad . The booger stayed there and turned many different shapes and colors as it dried up on his face. I bet it's still there. I also put one on her fur trimmed coat once.

I put a slimey burger on a pic of Bush my old spa boss had hanging in the break room. It was a signed pic with his dog. I did it the day she told me she was gonna breed her dog because it sounded like fun :realmad :realmad :realmad :realmad . The burger stayed there and turned many different shapes and colors as it dried up on his face. I bet it's still there. I also put one on her fur trimmed coat once.

i suppose she cleaned it off her fur-trimmed coat if not the pic? if so, Fur Is still Dead, lady.

PATM, you've got guts as an activist. my sister has spent most of her adult life rescuing thousands of feral cats, meaning she feeds the colonies, safely traps the many she can manage, gets them shots and neutering, decides based on their personalities whether they want homes, and for the ones with domestic potential fosters some and finds foster homes for others, and then finds good permanent homes. it's tiring and expensive work, she's practically in the poorhouse now, but nothing stops her.

i suppose she cleaned it off her fur-trimmed coat if not the pic? if so, Fur Is still Dead, lady.

PATM, you've got guts as an activist. my sister has spent most of her adult life rescuing thousands of feral cats, meaning she feeds the colonies, safely traps the many she can manage, gets them shots and neutering, decides based on their personalities whether they want homes, and for the ones with domestic potential fosters some and finds foster homes for others, and then finds good permanent homes. it's tiring and expensive work, she's practically in the poorhouse now, but nothing stops her.

Your sister sounds amazing, I love people like her! :worship Is she a non-profit I could donate to?

Speaking of animals...For the first time in its history, the Humane Society of the United States endorsed a candidate for the presidency, Obama/Biden.As they reported in their press release:read it here

Barack Obama

solid supporter of animal protection at state & federal levels

as an IL state senator, he backed a dozen animal protection laws including strengthening penalties for animal cruelty & promoting spaying/neutering

in the Senate, supported cosigned multiple bills to combat animal fighting & horse slaughter

in his response to the Humane Society questionnaire, he pledged support for nearly every animal protection bill pending in Congress

wants to make the policies of executive agencies, like Dept.

of Agriculture, more humane

said he understands link between animal cruelty & violence in society

has issued public statements on animal welfare issues

John McCain

has supported some animal protection bills in Congress

has been inattentive or opposed to many others

co-sponsored legislation to stop horse slaughter

failed to cosponsor large number of priority bi lls or sign onto animal protection letters with broad support in the Senate

did not fill out the Humane Society questionnaire

has not issued any public statements on animal welfare issues

spoke at the NRA convention this year

spoke at a large rally for the US Sportsmen's Alliance, an extremist organization that defends the trophy hunting of threatened polar bears and the captive shooting of tame animals in fenced pens

Joe Biden

a stalwart friend of animal advocates in the Senate

receives high marks every year on Humane Society scorecard

has led the fight on many important animal welfare issues

coauthored legislation to ban the netting of dolphins by tuna fisherman

lead author of a bill to prohibit trophy hunting of captive exotic animals in fenced pens

Sarah Palin

has led an all out war on Alaska's wolves and other creatures

engineered a campaign of sh ooting predators, like wolves, from airplanes and helicopters in order to boost the population of moose and caribou for trophy hunters

offered a $150 bounty for the left foreleg of each dead wolf as an economic incentive for pilots and aerial gunners to kill more animals...even though Alaska voters TWICE approved a ban on this practice

banning aerial hunting was up again for a vote in Alaska this year and Palin spent $400,000 of taxpayer's money to defeat the initiative

when the Bush Administration announced its decision to list the polar bear as threatened under the Endangered Species Act, Palin filed a lawsuit to reverse that decision

said it's the "wrong move" to protect polar bears, even though their habitat is shrinking and ice floes are vanishing due to global warming

brokaw was a dreadful moderator, managing to snuff out any potential for true debate at every turn. now there's a guy who will sacrifice just about anything for the sake of "the rules." since the death of russert, i've thought brokaw is over the hill and it's time for him to retire

i love Brokaw, great man (met him a few times back in Bozeman, MT where he has a vacation home near), but he wasn't in control last night, that's for sure. it's not so much the candidates job to stay under their time as it is the moderator's job to cut them off and force them to wrap it up asap.

that said, what do you want him to retire from? he retired in 2004... he reports on things occasionally these days, and has been the interim host of Meet The Press since Russert's death (and done a decent job, but too old to take over full time), but he's mostly a free agent.

From Clinton's final State of the Unions address:

"We begin the new century with over 20 million new jobs; the fastest economic growth in more than 30 years; the lowest unemployment rates in 30 years; the lowest poverty rates in 20 years; the lowest African American and Hispanic unemployment rates on record; the first back-to-back budget surpluses in 42 years. And next month, America will achieve the longest period of economic growth in our entire history."

I wonder what Bush will have in his?

From Clinton's final State of the Unions address:

"We begin the new century with over 20 million new jobs; the fastest economic growth in more than 30 years; the lowest unemployment rates in 30 years; the lowest poverty rates in 20 years; the lowest African American and Hispanic unemployment rates on record; the first back-to-back budget surpluses in 42 years. And next month, America will achieve the longest period of economic growth in our entire history."

So, that would have been January of 2000, right? Yeah, everything seemed great at the time, but about 8 months later it went to shit (actually had already started before 2000), before Bush came into office. Granted, nothing like the current situation, but do we really need to go into Clinton's contributions to the shitty economy in 2000-2003? Again?

i love Brokaw, great man (met him a few times back in Bozeman, MT where he has a vacation home near), but he wasn't in control last night, that's for sure. it's not so much the candidates job to stay under their time as it is the moderator's job to cut them off and force them to wrap it up asap.

that said, what do you want him to retire from? he retired in 2004... he reports on things occasionally these days, and has been the interim host of Meet The Press since Russert's death (and done a decent job, but too old to take over full time), but he's mostly a free agent.

i know he retired as anchor, but . . . he's not retired. i don't care for the job he has done on "meet the press" and now as election debate moderator. as a sometime commentator among the pundits, he doesn't seem very perceptive to me, though he probably does better at that than in the other, more responsible positions. we all burn out at some things eventually; i'm not knocking his whole career, and i've always thought he was a very decent person and still is.

So, that would have been January of 2000, right? Yeah, everything seemed great at the time, but about 8 months later it went to shit (actually had already started before 2000), before Bush came into office. Granted, nothing like the current situation, but do we really need to go into Clinton's contributions to the shitty economy in 2000-2003? Again?

Bush could not have made those comments back in January of this year, not even close, AND things were not as bad as you seem to think they were back then, again nothing like this. What is occuring now is purely the result of GOP policy not the result of Clintons work. But you will never ever believe that so I just wasted twenty seconds of my life typing this.

Bush could not have made those comments back in January of this year, not even close, AND things were not as bad as you seem to think they were back then, again nothing like this. What is occuring now is purely the result of GOP policy not the result of Clintons work. But you will never ever believe that so I just wasted twenty seconds of my life typing this.

You have got to be kidding me. Wake the fuck up. If you can't see how both parties are responsible for this mess, then all hope is lost.

Just a thought here: when the dot-com bubble began to bust THAT was when there should have been a heavy push by the movers and shakers towards a green revolution. Seems obvious now, but at the time it might have seemed risky, and with real estate zooming (and deregulation) the housing market was easy money.

All good things come to an end, but there's no time to waste - Green might be the only way out of this mess, for both jobs and investment.

The Bush administration has ignored the constitution & Congress, & McPalin would continue that kind of shit. Remember, he told Bush to just give the bailout asap & ignore Congress,here. I can only imagine what he would do as president..more of the same.

Blame everybody but most of all Bush and Dick. Blame the dems if you think it makes sense, but Bush has ignored more than 750 laws enacted since he took office, claiming he has the power over Congress when things don't go along with his interpretation of the Constitution. Congress should have checked that boy! He got away with so much BS while everyone let it happen, including the American people. Thank goodness for people like Kucinich who call to impeach Bush and Cheney.

Edit:Today is Congressman Kucinich's birthday :cheers

Your opinion. They were pretty bad.

This is true. In the Chicago area, the Fortune 500 firms as well as the middle market ones were doing hardly ANY hiring. The dot com bust coupled with 9/11 was a pretty serious blow to the economy. 2002 was a terrible year for me. I barely managed to keep my job. The outlook for the next 12 month period looks (and feels) way more grim than it did in mid Sept 2001. Hold on folks, this is gonna be an unpleasant ride for all of us.

You have got to be kidding me. Wake the fuck up. If you can't see how both parties are responsible for this mess, then all hope is lost.

If you continue to spend your time and energy on football rivalries while not being able to watch a presidential debate then all hope is lost.

If you continue to spend your time and energy on football rivalries while not being able to watch a presidential debate then all hope is lost.

Do you think one party is to blame for the financial catastrophe we're in?

A few points. Speaking of the economy as a whole is almost pointless - how the economy is doing differs widely from individual to individual. The post-9/11 recession was a non-event for me, for instance, but this one has already significantly affected my job and may end up destroying it before it's through. Others may have the opposite experience. The tightening of credit which characterizes this event will have far-reaching and largely unpleasant effects.

"Victory" in Iraq, as far as U.S. interests are concerned, is an Iraq that is not a puppet state of Iran and an Iraq whose oil resources remain available to the U.S. (Again, this all could have been arranged without the invasion.) Iraq may one day be a shining beacon of democracy to the Middle East. I may one day get to make out with Helena Bonham-Carter. Both outcomes seem about equally likely.

going back to the fur thing...i love PETA's nude celebrity campaign and other clothing optional activism. not enough to swear off KFC, but it makes me think about being a vegetarian for a few seconds.

and if anybody thinks one party is to blame for the financial catastrophe we're in, you need to check your head. wow.