The like, newest new election thread

Wall Street bankers own both parties...even Obama

Is there a way to quantify which party receives more from corporations (not just Wall St.)? It seems like the GOP gets the big money from less people and the Dems get smaller donations from more people. Perhaps the big money gives some leftovers to Dems to hedge their bets, avoid polarizing those who may make the laws in the near future?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and airbrushed.

i_d_hit_it.jpg

"You don't have to read too many cop novels to know that sometimes people will tell you a grain of truth to try to hide the rest of the truth," Walsh said. "I'm certainly not suggesting that ACORN is that nefarious, but at the same time just because they handed over 50 to you doesn't mean there aren't 150 others out there."

Even 150 out of the total is not bad...or nefarious!

i_d_hit_it.jpg

I wonder how many women Bill has boned. If he weren't "married", he would probably be claiming more hits than ol' Wilt Chamberlain.

Is there a way to quantify which party receives more from corporations (not just Wall St.)? It seems like the GOP gets the big money from less people and the Dems get smaller donations from more people. Perhaps the big money gives some leftovers to Dems to hedge their bets, avoid polarizing those who may make the laws in the near future?

Follow the money

I wonder how many women Bill has boned. If he weren't "married", he would probably be claiming more hits than ol' Wilt Chamberlain.

Are you saying that being married gave HIM pause? or gave his conquests pause? I doubt being married factored into either... A slut's a slut.

I did and found this:

total dems reps

Agribusiness $8,329,269 $3,067,536 $5,241,306

Communications/Electronics $35,668,119 $26,254,027 $9,315,777

Construction $17,672,021 $7,252,936 $10,392,134

Defense $2,259,799 $1,165,086 $1,084,813

Energy & Natural Resources $9,603,692 $3,403,748 $6,192,288

Finance, Insurance & Real Estate $116,850,353 $59,408,736 $57,351,072

Health $32,196,888 $19,313,191 $12,814,264

Lawyers & Lobbyists $79,336,281 $59,246,160 $20,043,566

Transportation $6,913,505 $2,295,938 $4,603,294

Misc Business $64,716,350 $37,093,079 $27,502,356

Labor $792,233 $757,638 $33,695

Ideological/Single-Issue $24,365,712 $16,477,372 $7,864,930

Other $131,024,712 $76,288,301 $54,345,643

for a cleaner view go here, thanks for the reference, by the way.

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres08/sectorall.php?cycle=2008

Obama 94% from individuals vs. McCain 80%

Oh, I was also thinking that the investors gave more money to Obama. What does that say? He is a safer investment? Hmmm. You'll notice that the financial industry as a whole was nearly equal once you throw in the bottom feeders (insurance and real estate). My apologies if you work in these industries.

Right, my memory is not that bad, I was alive and workin then. I was actually workin in public accountin then and saw some firms have dips in their revenues and profits, none (of my clients) that I could think of laid anyone off though... but the entire economy was not on the verge of collapse world wide because of anythin Bill Clinton did back then. Today across the globe there is a huge mess spreadin and the mess starts with the deregualtion of the US financial systems, a pet GOP cause, and you can not deny that, McCain thhe presummptive leader of the party is still preachin deregulation. Did democrats vote for and get on board with these bills? you betcha. Did president Clinton sign the Enron bill among others? You betcha. Did the entire concept/bill pretty much originate with the GOP? Absolutely.

Do you not think that part of the problem was that the government (through the Community Reinvestment Act) pressured banks to offer sub-prime loans? And weren't there a lot of Democrats like Barney Frank who were opposed to more oversight on Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac and didn't think there was a problem?

Interesting blog post on that same site: What is Obama's Ceiling? The premise is that the polls can only tighten from here, as Obama may have already persuaded all the "persuadables" that are available to him. Includes a "funny" (in a sad, weird way) anecdote from an Obama precinct-walker about blatantly racist, but still undecided, voters.

Do you not think that part of the problem was that the government (through the Community Reinvestment Act) pressured banks to offer sub-prime loans? And weren't there a lot of Democrats like Barney Frank who were opposed to more oversight on Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac and didn't think there was a problem?

Fannie and freddie are not the main issue, they ar part of the bigger picture and were relative late commers to the game now being lost. Weren't alot of republicans also opposed to the oversight board the president proposed back in '03 when they had total control of the government? The problem is not who was playing the game, but the rules that were made back in 99 and beyond. the problem is letting the market be the market. The problem is the phony "ownerhsip society" where the lending institutions were encouraged to take huge risks by the government who was the GOP when this all started. But what the hell It must be the democrats fault. Or at the minimum to get balance to th epicture the democrats are to blame for going along with GOP policy

There was most definitely a time not long ago when if you praised the idea of regulating the markets people called you backwards. Like the rhetoric involving health care many knee jerks believed that any government regulation or oversight was the next step to fascism. I loved hearing Daniel Shore recall the savings and loan crisis and the heroics of FDR realizing that regulation was essential to the picture. Sometimes more than others.

Bill Clinton was not into regulation. I think, perhaps, that was one of many reasons for the temporary boom in the economy. Bill Clinton was obviously a democrat, but I would characterize his attitude towards regulation to be more in line with a traditional republican.

More than a republican or democrat caused problem, this has been a banking caused problem. The beginning of the disaster was a million naive people signing a piece of paper without reading the fine print, and dozens of banks ignoring the potential outcome for their 'easy credit with a catch'. Couple that with reshuffling portfolios in order to turn an empty profit and I say the banking industry is the first one at fault here. Their green backs have lined both candidates pockets. But I don't think it is all one puppet system hell bent on evil domination.

There is nothing fundamentally evil in profit. Sustainable growth in business is great for people who are into doing business because it implies they can continue doing it without a meltdown. The disaster strikes when a lot of powerful people get carried away with short term gains. While they are callous and don't really know what it is to have their pockets in a pinch there are nonetheless, Wall St. dudes are freaking out because their standard of living is at risk. Any person no matter what their income gets reasonably upset when their standard of living is damaged.

Has The Letterman Factor been discussed yet? Two weeks after McCain didn't show up for his show, and Dave is still ripping him a new asshole every night. I wish I knew what Johnny thinks about that.

DSC_0012.jpg

...I want one of those.

And the t-shirt's not bad either.

Report: Voter purges in 6 states may violate law

Thu Oct 9, 1:07 AM ET

NEW YORK - Tens of thousands of eligible voters have been removed from rolls or blocked from registering in at least six swing states, and the voters' exclusion appears to violate federal law, according to a published report.

The New York Times based its findings on reviews of state records and Social Security data.

The Times said voters appear to have been purged by mistake and not because of any intentional violations by election officials or coordinated efforts by any party.

States have been trying to follow the Help America Vote Act of 2002 by removing the names of voters who should no longer be listed. But for every voter added to the rolls in the past two months in some states, election officials have removed two, a review of the records shows.

The newspaper said it identified apparent problems in Colorado, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Nevada and North Carolina. It says some states are improperly using Social Security data to verify new voters' registration applications, and others may have broken rules that govern removing voters from the rolls within 90 days of a federal election.

Democrats have been more aggressive at registering new voters this year, according to state election officials, so any closer screening of new applications may affect their party's supporters disproportionately, the Times said.

The result is that on Election Day, voters who have been removed from the rolls could show up and be challenged by political party officials or election workers.

The six states seem to have violated federal law in two ways. Some are removing voters from the rolls within 90 days of a federal election, which is not allowed except when voters die, notify the authorities that they have moved out of state, or have been declared unfit to vote.

And some of the states are improperly using Social Security data to verify registration applications for new voters, the newspaper reported.

"Just as voting machines were the major issue that came out of the 2000 presidential election and provisional ballots were the big issue from 2004, voter registration and these statewide lists will be the top concern this year," said Daniel P. Tokaji, a law professor at Ohio State University.

Palin: Pallin' With Hypocrisy

By Shannyn Moore

shannynmoore.wordpress.com

The Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR) has been locked away for years. Living in Alaska and being a steward of ANWR is like having a beautiful young daughter. She's a virgin now, and you want her to stay pristine as long as possible. However, when the day comes, you want it to be with someone who knows about romance, safety, commitment and respect; not some frat guy at a party. The majority of Alaskans would go along with the opening of ANWR if it weren't drilled by a proven environmental rapist like EXXON. Last spring, there was a buzz running through local talk radio shows. The renewed desire to drill ANWR had overtaken Alaska like an adolescent 13 year old boy with a new Victoria Secret Catalog. Arctic Power, a private lobbying company, hired by the State of Alaska to lobby congress to open ANWR for oil drilling, was ready to hire a spokesman.

Sarah Palin

I wondered how their initial meeting had gone. "Hey, Alaska, let's have a party! Hannibal Lecter will be the chef, Jim Jones will pour drinks, and G. Gordon Liddy will promote the opening of ANWR!

No. However, for some reason I believe the GOP is funded by corporations while the Dems are funded by the unions. Unions vs. the Corporations. While I don't have much experience with either I tend to think the unions may look at for the little people a little better than the corporations. I am not saying unions are angelic, just saying they appear more willing to represent the people.

It also appears the corporate financial entities pushed the bubble. Both parties turned a blind eye. However, as we embark on a power change in the White House, I am betting on the side that leans more toward the people, not the corporations.

I am aware that corporations provide jobs, but their interests have been met more than the people's, sometimes to the detriment of the people.

If you don

^^ don't quit your day job.

also...

=

The misspeaks are not unusual for most people...even Barak made some kind of dumb ones the other night.....

As with four years ago, I still STILL can't figure out how Wilco fans would vote for the Republicans, but that's just me.

LouieB

The misspeaks are not unusual for most people...even Barak made some kind of dumb ones the other night.....

As with four years ago, I still STILL can't figure out how Wilco fans would vote for the Republicans, but that's just me.

LouieB

geez Lou...for such a supporter, you'd think you would have his name spelling correct - Barack. ;)