The like, newest new election thread

Kill him? I mean, WTF????

I never dreamed it was such a narrow leap from "Damn, I'm losing." to "Kill the bastard." These are dangerous waters McCain and Palin are stirring up. Slandering your opponent with dubious claims is nothing new in politics, but this is going in a scary direction quickly--feeding into existing prejudices and amplifying it by dropping the t-word with reckless abandon as they "fire up the base". :unsure

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never dreamed it was such a narrow leap from "Damn, I'm losing." to "Kill the bastard." These are dangerous waters McCain and Palin are stirring up. Slandering your opponent with dubious claims is nothing new in politics, but this is going in a scary direction quickly--feeding into existing prejudices and amplifying it by dropping the t-word with reckless abandon as they "fire up the base". :unsure

McCain should know better. Shame on him. I guess at his advanced age he's forgotten the dirty pool of '00.

I can't wait until the next debate. Barack should just keep needling him until he finally loses his shit right there on national TV.

McCain should know better. Shame on him. I guess at his advanced age he's forgotten the dirty pool of '00.

I can't wait until the next debate. Barack should just keep needling him until he finally loses his shit right there on national TV.

That would be fine, but I'm also ok with a slow steady decline of the McCain campaign.

I haven't been on this thread for several days. Where have all the McCain defenders gone? :dancing

I'm not getting comfortable until Obama/Biden have a 15% lead in the polls. I've got my bingo cards ready for the debate tomorrow. It's a good way to make it fun for my kids, while they have to listen!

I haven't been on this thread for several days. Where have all the McCain defenders gone? :dancing

I'm not getting comfortable until Obama/Biden have a 15% lead in the polls. I've got my bingo cards ready for the debate tomorrow. It's a good way to make it fun for my kids, while they have to listen!

I'll be defending McCain with my vote. ;) The "discussion" on this thread is not at all straight and forward. Things can be bent and twisted for either candidate. Not saying that's bad it just gets a little old.

And as far as the bingo card goes, you could do the same thing for Obama. (This further supports my statements above.)

Worst movie about the 60s EVER....

Brunch was well after Bill's time on the run; he was already a prof in education at U of I Chicago. I met Bernadine briefly too. All of this is so much BS. Bill has been a regular guy for some years and he has been a pillar of the community for a long time too. Not a terrorist and maybe he should rethink some of his time in the 60s but it is getting to be a very long time ago. Hell, most people if pushed would not have done some things in their past and certainly not been a part of bomb making, but this is now very old news and Barak was simply interfacing with Bill as a member of the Hyde Park progressive community and not as Bill the Weatherman

Damn, you just have to rub it in don't you? Now if you tell me that you hung out with Abbie I will be PISSED!

No I never had brunch with Abbie, but I was at a relatively small Yippie gathering in November 1969 in Washington the night before Vietnam Moratorium day (was that November 15 as I recall, not so well...) It was the only time I saw Allen Ginsburg too (and Rubin and a bunch of others I honestly don't remember.) It was a very long time ago now I guess. Someone can Google this and tell me who was there, but I didn't actually hang out with him.

Strangely I have never met Barak or heard him speak in person. Someone was asking me that the other day. I guess it is too late now.

On a different subject (not that different.) Doonsbury on Sunday finally reflected what I have been saying for some time (not brilliant but obvious....) I can't seem to post the actual comic, but it is brilliant.

LouieB

Worst movie about the 60s EVER....

Brunch was well after Bill's time on the run; he was already a prof in education at U of I Chicago. I met Bernadine briefly too. All of this is so much BS. Bill has been a regular guy for some years and he has been a pillar of the community for a long time too. Not a terrorist and maybe he should rethink some of his time in the 60s but it is getting to be a very long time ago. Hell, most people if pushed would not have done some things in their past and certainly not been a part of bomb making, but this is now very old news and Barak was simply interfacing with Bill as a member of the Hyde Park progressive community and not as Bill the Weatherman

No I never had brunch with Abbie, but I was at a relatively small Yippie gathering in November 1969 in Washington the night before Vietnam Moratorium day (was that November 15 as I recall, not so well...) It was the only time I saw Allen Ginsburg too (and Rubin and a bunch of others I honestly don't remember.) It was a very long time ago now I guess. Someone can Google this and tell me who was there, but I didn't actually hang out with him.

Strangely I have never met Barak or heard him speak in person. Someone was asking me that the other day. I guess it is too late now.

On a different subject (not that different.) Doonsbury on Sunday finally reflected what I have been saying for some time (not brilliant but obvious....) I can't seem to post the actual comic, but it is brilliant.

LouieB

We need some of this today:

The Moratorium to End the War in Vietnam was a large demonstration against the United States involvement in the Vietnam War that took place across the United States on October 15, 1969. The Moratorium developed from Jerome Grossman's April 20, 1969 call for a general strike if the war had not concluded by October. David Hawk and Sam Brown, who had previously worked on the unsuccessful 1968 presidential campaign of Eugene McCarthy, changed the concept to a less radical moratorium and began to organize the event as the Vietnam Moratorium Committee with David Mixner, Marge Sklenkar, John Gage, and others.

By the standards of previous anti-war demonstrations, the event was a clear success, with millions participating throughout the world. Boston was the site of the largest turnout; about 100,000 attended a speech by anti-war Senator George McGovern. Bill Clinton, while a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford, organized and participated in the demonstration in England; this later became an issue in his Presidential campaign.

The first nationwide Moratorium was followed a month later, on November 15, 1969, by a massive Moratorium march on Washington, D.C. which attracted over 500,000 demonstrators against the war, including many performers and activists on stage at a rally across from the White House.

Activists at some universities continued to hold monthly "Moratoria" on the 15th of each month.

Can't wait to see Senator Al Franken on C-SPAN.

I agree. Franken will not only be an impassioned, principled senator but a damned entertaining one as well. I truly believe that he is driven and guided by his good friend Paul Wellstone's legacy.

Volunteers supporting Barack Obama picked up hundreds of people at homeless shelters, soup kitchens and drug-rehab centers and drove them to a polling place yesterday on the last day that Ohioans could register and vote on the same day, almost no questions asked.

The huge effort by a pro-Obama group, Vote Today Ohio, takes advantage of a quirk in the state's elections laws that allows people to register and cast ballots at the same time without having to prove residency.

Early today, Stadlin's van picked up William Woods, 59, at the soup kitchen of the Bishop Cosgrove Center.

"I never voted before," Woods said, because of a felony conviction that previously barred him from the polls. "Without this service, I would have had no way to get here."

http://tealandblack.net/forums/redirect-to...bama_132395.htm

I'll be defending McCain with my vote. ;) The "discussion" on this thread is not at all straight and forward. Things can be bent and twisted for either candidate. Not saying that's bad it just gets a little old.

And as far as the bingo card goes, you could do the same thing for Obama. (This further supports my statements above.)

Why are you in a position to 'defend' a candidate?

Can you name the other Kiefer Sutherland movie that has to do with the 60s?

I think so - Article 69?

EDIT: Just saw your hint - 1969?

Wait - there's a movie called Article...99? Ray Liotta & Kiefer? I think that's 60s?

We need some of this today:

. . . The first nationwide Moratorium was followed a month later, on November 15, 1969, by a massive Moratorium march on Washington, D.C. which attracted over 500,000 demonstrators against the war, including many performers and activists on stage at a rally across from the White House.

. . .

you betcha. the passion to end a useless war back then was incredible and, unlike today, couldn't just be ignored by the president sitting in his white house. nixon was having fits, as i recall. as a non-church-goer, i have to say the churches in d.c. were amazingly supportive. they offered their sanctuaries as places to sleep on the floor with a blanket and made us meals, at a time when most institutions weren't taking a stand.

since our invasion of iraq in 2003, the protests have been minor sprinklings in comparison -- no real movement. i give a lot of credit to people who turn out and try, but often wonder why the mass dissatisfaction with our involvement in iraq hasn't moved more people to organize and become a real and cohesive voice.

since our invasion of iraq in 2003, the protests have been minor sprinklings in comparison -- no real movement. i give a lot of credit to people who turn out and try, but often wonder why the mass dissatisfaction with our involvement in iraq hasn't moved more people to organize and become a real and cohesive voice.

People are generally disattisfied with the war in iraq however not disattisfied enough to hit the streets. The main reason is that the toll in American lives is not as high as Vietnam and there is no draft so there is little chance of you getting killed in the war if you choose not to participate. In the 60's if you choose not to participate you still had to go. Hence the protests.

This is why 'messianic/charismatic' politicos scare me:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...on-YouTube.html

Although I wouldn't necessarily call myself a McCain defender (rather, more of an Obama opposer), I've got Texas-OU weekend that I'm focusing most of my attention on this week. You know, priorities.