M Ward - Hold Time

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, good call. The girl in the center is the singer from Oakley Hall too, isn't she?

lemme watch again, he was the most recognizable to me last night

edit: yup! that's her... i don't think the other girl is from the band though... bass player maybe:

oakley-hall.jpg

I bought this from the Merge website as a pre-order and chose the $0 shipping option. I received my vinyl copy with the signed poster last Saturday. With most pre-orders, I've found that the lowest shipping choice often gets you the items by release date or just a day or two after. Being late isn't usually a problem since many of us have the music before the release date anyway.

Did they mention the possibility of a signed item?

Just my two cents after one fresh spin (take this with a grain of salt). With the exception of the song Hold Time (which is the best song I've heard all year easy). I felt specially the second half became way too samey. On past albums there was nice mix of delicate acoustic numbers, old timey and his strumming shuffle numbers. This albums has alot of stummy shufflers that don't appear to stand out. Pretty great descriptions huh? It just hasn't grabbed me like hearing Poison Cup or Hi Fi or Fuel For Fire or vincent o brien. Anyway, maybe it is just the first listen blues. That being said, the song Hold Time has this sweet Flaming Lips Soft Bulletin thing going on.

i dig the title track, but not a favorite on the album for me by ANY means honestly... production is def lovely tho.

i liked Matt's solo acoustic version last night on NPR quite a bit more.

Save Me & Fisher of Men are def my faves, with Jailbird, Rave On, and Never Had Nobody close behind.

XRT vip area has a link for the presale for the Vic, but its currently not working.

Just picked up 2 without any problems....

Also interested in the autographed poster from the LP. Can anyone else confirm or deny that copies that were not proder directly from the label will have this?

Just picked up 2 without any problems....

Also interested in the autographed poster from the LP. Can anyone else confirm or deny that copies that were not proder directly from the label will have this?

I don't know if this means anything, but the poster was loose, not folded into the LP or plastic wrap. And while mine was ordered directly from Merge it was not signed (still a little bummed about this).

I don't know if this means anything, but the poster was loose, not folded into the LP or plastic wrap. And while mine was ordered directly from Merge it was not signed (still a little bummed about this).

Hmmm, that's kinda odd... maybe just a random winners received one, or perhaps limited to the first (insert number here) pre-orders?

Button and poster folded outside of sealed lp - not signed. I ordered it directly from merge prior to release date.

Hope this helps.

While I'm here........ I was highly disappointed in the midwest dates, big conflict with this pesky little thing I have called "work".

I've also never been to Oakland, but soon I won't be able to say that anymore.....

my vinyl pre-order came yesterday... poster wasn't signed either. i'm pretty sure it was just a random few, because it was never advertised as coming with an auto-graphed poster that I recall

the vinyl is indeed gorgeous

After listening to the vinyl version of Oh Lonesome Me, I must retract my original opinion of the song and say that Lucinda in fact did a great job. My wife still doesn't like it, but the Lp version seems to soften the "dying alley-cat howl". Honestly, when I heard it initially on NPR, I was embarrassed for her.

Guess I'm relying too much on my computer speakers! :( My bad.

I was a bit apprehensive with regard to Lucinda's contribution based on what I'd read here, but I'm thinking "Oh Lonesome Me" may turn out to be one of my favorite tracks. I don't see any problem with her vocals, but then again I've been listening to her quite a bit lately so maybe I'm just used to her at the moment.

Very nice record that sounds perfect on vinyl. I'm not totally acclimated to it yet, but I've found all of my M. Ward purchases to be growers.

Entire record is growing on me. Better than initial impressions and I also am enjoying "oh lonesome me" Took me awhile to get past that it wasn't Neil's unbelievalbe version and I can say I've never heard the original Don Gibson but M. Ward's has some sweet touches especially at the end. For what it is worth, my wife thought Lucinda's vocals were a bit much. I don't know they worked for me.