M Ward - Hold Time

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's the thing, I guess...I'm not necessarily looking for an artist to make HUGE changes either. And certainly those who do make huge changes aren't always successful. But when I hear a new record from an artist I like, I don't want to feel like I already own that record, or its equivalent. And that's just the feeling I get here. Yes, there are some tweaks in the production, and yes, there are a couple standout songs, but overall, it sounds like more of the same. I would make the same argument for Cardinology. It's a good record, but it doesn't cover any new ground sonically; IMO, that can be the difference between a good record and a great record. I've found that in my experience, the records I've grown to like best are often the records that I didn't like much on first listen; Furr is a good example of that, hell, even Evil Urges to some extent.

(oh, also - definitely not my first listen on Duet for Guitars. I got it on the reissue, so first heard it in 2007 or thereabouts?)

I don't listen to particularly "out there" music, so it's not like I was really hoping Matt was going to feature Tuvan throat singers on this record. ;) It's hard to explain what I feel this record is lacking. It's like, let's say Matt invited me over to see his new house. And it's a great house, but it looks a whole lot like his old house. Except maybe he painted the kitchen, and put a cool tile mosaic backsplash behind the sink. Which is great, and it looks fantastic, but...basically, same house. Ya dig?

The Wilco comparison is a good one, because I feel like Wilco are a band who are constantly trying new things and expanding their musical horizons, to varying degrees of success. But even when they scale back and simplify ala Sky Blue Sky, I never get the feeling they've stopped trying. Which isn't exactly the feeling I get from Hold Time, but it's close. I agree that Matt's lyric writing, arrangements, and singing style have improved over the years, but I guess I just wish he had been slightly more ambitious with this record.

I guess the bottom line is that when I listen to a record, I always like to be surprised, just a little bit. That's probably why I enjoyed the Lucinda cameo as much as I did.

Anyway. I think I've said enough. Enjoy the record! I'll be looking forward to Monsters of Folk... :D

fair enough! ;)

i guess if i felt like it was the same exact record we'd heard from Matt before, i'd definitely agree with you. i just don't feel that way at all and that this album has tons of great things to offer for me :thumbup

as for Cardinology... that album didn't really suffer from not bringing anything new to the table, just from mostly sub-par songs by Ryan's own standard. like i said, if the songwriting is so strong (as imo it is with 'Hold Time'), then not much else really matters to me.

as for Cardinology... that album didn't really suffer from not bringing anything new to the table, just from mostly sub-par songs by Ryan's own standard.

Well that's, like, your opinion, man ;) I'd say it's a little bit of both.

Well that's, like, your opinion, man ;) I'd say it's a little bit of both.

maybe... but Easy Tiger was mostly a retread, yet i still enjoyed that one a lot minus 1-2 songs. and Jacksonville City Nights didn't really either, yet i love that one.

Hm. Yeah, I guess so. I didn't really care for Easy Tiger either, because it felt kind of lazy, IMO. Cold Roses, on the other hand, I loved, probably because it was so sprawling, and the Dead influence was a bit of a departure too, which was nice.

This album gets better with each listen. I enjoyed Post War but this feels like it is on a different level. The arrangements and instrumentation are fantastic. A little early yet, but this is would have been a strong contender for album of the year if released a month ago. Regardless, it has certainly set the bar high for '09.

Long time lurker, but love reading everyone's thoughts. Especially since so few around me like the same type of music.

Is it just me or is this his most openly religious record yet. I know heaven has always been a major theme but there are quite a few references to the church, god, and heaven. Any thoughts?

>Is it just me or is this his most openly religious record yet. I know heaven has always been a major theme but there are quite a few references to the church, god, and heaven. Any thoughts?

It doesn't appear to be more than usual, but I'll listen more closely. I couldn't help but notice Shangri-La almost immediately. These types of songs are a big reason why I like him so much. Here are a few other references he has done before.

And the lord of lords, he laid out a feast,

He said "listen to me boys, this will be last one of these,

So you better get to the table, get to the table on time."

Better make up your mind, if you wanna get to the table on time

Better get to the table, get to the table on time

A Band of a Hundred Angels did I see & a chariot of white swung low (across the River Jordan for me)

Come with me to the place your thinking of (across the bridge that keeps you from your love)

and so I followed the band of angels to a shore and climbed atop a mountain high

and a ray of light shown down upon the stone a savior rolled away long ago

There's a lot of superstitious nonsense in Ward's songs, but it never gets in the way of his talents, thankfully, and he has a knack for gussying it up with often lovely language and tying it in to ancient American music. Hold Time has been temporarily displaced in my rotation by Dan Auerbach's awesome solo album, but I'm already itching to give it another spin.

Some of his stuff is downright mystical, especially Today's Undertaking:

A mighty voice

from out the clouds

to me announced

today's undertaking.

He said go build a song

40 heartbeats long

and sacrifice it for your love.

So this one comes from high above.

Yeah, this one is dedicated to you.

The mighty voice in the clouds is obviously God, and this encounter is a mystical experience. There's an obvious reference to prophecy, and especially Noah, with the command to build something. The song's length is another mystical reference, as 40 is a sacred number. "Love" in mystical poetry is often a person at the surface level, but the deeper meaning refers to God. The command to sacrifice doesn't really require explanation, as it's another obvious reference.

On first listen (which usually is harsher than second):

Seems hugely uneven. The greatness of some tracks is contrasted by the mediocrity of others.

Seems to gain steam about four tracks in (sorry got a stream from NPR and didn't catch the names).

I feel like the most 'different' sounding songs are the best. A few of the songs hit me like standard-issue Ward, without a lot of magic. He definitely has used that song structure with the one line chorus quite a bit (think of that old tune where he says "It's involuntary").

Overall, not a disappointment. I think it's gonna grow on me.

yeah... honestly the religious overtones never bothered me before, and certainly don't here.

I wasn't saying I was bothered I was saying there is a greater focus. From some reason the album has gone missing on my computer but.....

For Beginners, Fisher of Men, To Save Me, Epistemology, Shangra La

I've definitely caught the religious comments before I just felt they were more subtle (not saying this is good or bad), was just curious on all of your thoughts.

Is M. Ward really religious or just sort of really enjoys the imagery and the story lines like Tweedy does sometimes? Though not to say Tweedy isn't religious (yeah I know let's not get into that again lol).