Hold on just one damn minute...

I remember when Julio Franco was on the Mets and he was something insane like 47 years old, everytime he did something, the announcers said he was the oldest player to ever do what ever he did.

Julio Franco is now the oldest baseball player that has ever hit a home run

Julio Franco is now the oldest baseball player that has ever been hit by a pitch

Julio Franco is now the oldest baseball player that has ever made an error

Julio Franco is now the oldest baseball player that has ever struck out.

Those were some good times.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Julio Franco was on the Mets and he was something insane like 47 years old, everytime he did something, the announcers said he was the oldest player to ever do what ever he did.

Julio Franco is now the oldest baseball player that has ever hit a home run

Julio Franco is now the oldest baseball player that has ever been hit by a pitch

Julio Franco is now the oldest baseball player that has ever made an error

Julio Franco is now the oldest baseball player that has ever struck out.

Those were some good times.

:lol

exactly

i never said it's not a big deal, certainly didn't need a picture of a fucking lynching to remind me how far things have come and i never stated that the media should 'gloss over' anything. i just staetd it shouldn't be the only thing and that, personally, i found the more compelling story about how he transcended his race.

What does "transcended his race" mean exactly?

i never said it's not a big deal, certainly didn't need a picture of a fucking lynching to remind me how far things have come and i never stated that the media should 'gloss over' anything. i just staetd it shouldn't be the only thing and that, personally, i found the more compelling story about how he transcended his race.

so, really, you didn't get my point at all.

Calm down. I just think we would be remiss not to acknowledge the historical significance of this election, along with the impressive (IMO) character and qualifications that Obama the candidate has shown.

I dont see a black politician when I see Obama. I see a politician. I think that's what he means.

Yup, I agree. It is historically significant, of course, but it is far more significant, in my opinion, that he wasn't elected because of his race, despite his race, but more with complete disregard for it.

Yup, I agree. It is historically significant, of course, but it is far more significant, in my opinion, that he wasn't elected because of his race, despite his race, but more with complete disregard for it.

well said

I dont see a black politician when I see Obama. I see a politician. I think that's what he means.

Right, but if Obama were white, we'd be happy about his accomplishments, character and qualities, but we wouldn't be talking about how historic this election is. That's why people are talking about race today. Everyone can agree that Obama is more than a pretty (black) face.

so, really, you didn't get my point at all.

But all the coverage I've seen has also talked about other things quite a bit alongside the mentions of Obama's race. There's been no lack of analysis of Obama's campaign strategy, his ability to out the vote, his strong ground game, etc.

But who is saying that he was elected because of his race? I haven't seen anyone saying that other than the Limbaugh types. The mainstream coverage hasn't said anything of the sort, at least that I've seen.

The lynching pic by the way had nothing to do with any point El F was making - it just blew me away how Obama wouldn't be able to mount this campaign in another era, when he wouldn't even be allowed to campaign or even travel through certain regions of this country without bringing about that kind of response. Maybe this is stating the obvious, but since most of us were raised in an era relatively free of that, it's helpful to remember that we have changed as a country, and for the better.

But who is saying that he was elected because of his race? I haven't seen anyone saying that other than the Limbaugh types. The mainstream coverage hasn't said anything of the sort, at least that I've seen.

I wasn't trying to imply that anyone is. In fact, that's kinda the point. Other than the simple fact that he happens to be black and therefore the first black President-elect, race hasn't been an issue much at all for most.

"I was born in 1941, the year Pearl Harbor was bombed. It has been dark ever since. I guess things are really gonna change now" - Bob Dylan live at University of Minnesota, Minneapolis Nov 4, 2008, right before the last song of the show, Blowing In The Wind.

Barack Obama and Bob Dylan deliver the same message of peace

Posted 11:55 pm, November 4th, 2008 by Bill Clements, St. Paul Legal Ledger Capitol Report managing editor

When I was a little boy, in our house just west of Chicago, my dad, the first full-time civil rights reporter in Chicago, introduced me to a young singer named Bob Dylan by playing "Blowin' in the Wind" for me and trying to tell me what it means.

Tonight, in an auditorium at the University of Minnesota, I listened as an old Dylan told an excited crowd of nearly 5,000, "It seems like we are going to have change now," before closing his concert with a moving version of "Blowin' in the Wind."

Tonight, I knew what it meant

CNN

A breakthrough in journalism. I weep for the fact that Edward R. Murrow was not able to interview H.L. Mencken via hologram.