Hold on just one damn minute...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I just say how unbelievably irritated I am that Amendment 8 in California and Amendment 2 in Florida passed? Fucking bullshit, state sponsored bigotry.

People absolutely do not understand how far reaching Amendment 2 in Florida is. No more common law marriages and no civil unions for anyone, regardless of sexual orientation.

I'm with you on this one bobbob. I think people didn't understand what this amendment was about, and the press did a horrible job clarifying. My paper today referred to it as the gay amendment. Gay marriage & civil unions already aren't recognized in this state, so the passing of this particular amendment affects straights more than gays.

We'll probably see cases of people losing health care benefits or not being able to visit loved ones in the hospital, and they'll say but I'm not gay!

But, truth is, Limbaugh's ratings will probably* go through the roof the next 4 years, much like when Clinton was in office.

True. I'm sure Limbaugh isn't too pleased with the outcome, but it will eventually help him hike his advertising rates.

Cindy Sheehan got a fairly respectable 17%. She was still crushed by Pelosi, of course, with 72%, but I didn't think she'd even do that well.

I suppose there was probably a republican in that race, too, but I couldn't for the life of me tell you who it was. :stunned

Can I just say how unbelievably irritated I am that Amendment 8 in California and Amendment 2 in Florida passed? Fucking bullshit, state sponsored bigotry.

People absolutely do not understand how far reaching Amendment 2 in Florida is. No more common law marriages and no civil unions for anyone, regardless of sexual orientation.

I guess I must be a Libertarian at heart, but I think the Government should stay out of people's personal lives and choices.

I understand the ramifications re: insurance and benefits. But I also understand that love is...well...love. I find the proposition that two people committed in a long term relationship are not allowed the protection of law to be preposterous.

If one is gay and their significant other becomes ill or dies, they have no rights to care decisions or property rights.

The saddest thing I have ever seen is two obituaries in the Dallas Morning News a couple of years ago. One obviously written by the family who obviously disapproved of the deceased's lifestyle and the other written by the partner.

There are many hurdles that people must overcome. Prejudice is inherent in everybody. It just takes different paths.

with obama in the white house and the layout of Congress, Limbaugh will probably have his highest ratings yet for the next 4 years...
For sure....

Didn't he make his name during the Clinton years?? He had to do all kinds of stunts during the Bush years, such as lose his hearing and get totally addicted to pills to keep listeners during the past 8.

LouieB

Fortunately, I only had 2 beers last night (both post victory pronouncement) so I am OK today hangover-wise, but clearly on cloud 9.

And Lou/bobbob -- I would totally knock your heads together if I could :lol

Anyway, here's what's going on with the stragglers -- including why GA hasn't been called by the AP:

Missouri, North Carolina still out

Obama came awfully close to sweeping the battleground states, with some quite amazing numbers in some of them (55% in Nevada!). The only one he's clearly lost is Montana, as well as the late additions of Georgia, West Virginia, and North Dakota.

Two states, and one electoral vote, are still out, and it may be days before we have the final map: McCain is up narrowly in Missouri, where Jo Mannies expects a long fight over provisional ballots; North Carolina appears likely, the Observer says, to stay in Obama's camp. They've also got 9,000 early and provisional ballots to count in Omaha, seat of Nebraska's second congressional district, worth one electoral vote.

That means Obama's ceiling is 376 electoral votes, if you're counting.

ALSO: There are early ballots uncounted in Atlanta, leading AP to refrain from calling Georgia, though the networks did based on exit polls. The AJC seems to think McCain is safe there.

And Lou/bobbob -- I would totally knock your heads together if I could :lol

I wonder what condescending thing Lou would have to say about a "third party" intervening in their spat. Regardless, he'd probably blame B2's youth for the collision, anyway.

I wonder what condescending thing Lou would have to say about a "third party" intervening in their spat. Regardless, he'd probably blame B2's youth for the collision, anyway.

I disagree. Lou would take the headknocking and then add a wedgie into the mix, all the while talking about the importance of labor unions.

Believe me, Lou. You had nothing to do with me voting for Barack.

What is this election about? A black dude winning? That's dumb.

Is it about Barack being the best possible candidate? He wasn't.

For me, it was about McCain not winning. Period. So I voted for Barack. What more do you want?

You aren't the only overbearing, argumentative dick here. But you have been and apparently will continue to be the most condescending person on the board. But as long as you are aware of it, it's cool.

Whatever. He won. I hope I made the right choice.

And I'll admit, I did get chills when he took the stage with his family.

Bob, please do not take this reply as a put down, because I have been in your shoes. And if anyone else has replied to your post stating the following thoughts, I apologize, but I have to say this.

I am much closer to Louie's age than your age. The very first time I voted for President, my vote was cast for Mondale. My second presidential vote was for Dukakis. My votes were cast for Clinton both times he ran. I will invoke my 5th Amendment right against self-incrimination in regard to Gore/Bush but I also cast a vote for Kerry. However, in each and every one of those elections, my vote was not for the nominee who recieved it, but was in fact a vote against his opponent and what his opponent stood for (except in Gore/Bush . . . no amount of rationalization will justify that vote).

November 4, 2008, I finally had a chance to cast a vote FOR someone, not against someone. Your reasons for voting for Obama are yours alone. You should not have to justify why you voted for that person. This is the United States of America after all. I just wanted to let you (and of course everyone else who is continuing to read this) that a certain middle-aged, middle class, white male has had his faith and passion about participating in our flawed, but still world's-best, political process renewed by this election and result. I just hope that you get the chance to feel the same way sooner, rather than later.