Agreed.

After the episode where Richard visited the young Locke last year, I had the feeling it was akin to the test given dalai lama: seeing if he recognized items from a previous life.

In retrospect, Richard's palpable disappointment at Locke's non-recognition of the compass is a bit confusing.

This show is like an onion...there are layers upon layers upon layers.

I'm glad Cain got cancelled...we need more Nestor Carbonell. The eyeliner kinda freaks me out...I wonder it is some sort of allusion to Ancient Egypt.

• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to go back & re-watch (and probably will), but I think John chose the compass. He chose the vial of sand, the compass and the knife. He spent a moment wavering between the Book Of Laws and the knife, and it was when he chose the knife that Richard got upset.

I'd have to go back & re-watch (and probably will), but I think John chose the compass. He chose the vial of sand, the compass and the knife. He spent a moment wavering between the Book Of Laws and the knife, and it was when he chose the knife that Richard got upset.

That compass was the one that Richard gave to John who gave back to Richard, no? Why would Richard know to do everything (give John the compass) that sets up this chain of events? There's something about Richard that I really really like. Probably the most interesting character on the show now.

Yeah, I think it's the same compass. I believe that Richard remembered his meeting with Locke in 1954, which is why he was present at John's birth two years later and then showed up to "test" him as a child. He was obviously disappointed that John chose the knife, but still when John was in high school he tried to recruit him to Mittelos. Maybe they had another on-island encounter between the time John was tested as a young kid and the high school John to further convince Richard that John would eventually become the leader of the others? I don't even know if I'm making any sense...

And yes I agree that Richard is becoming one of the most intriguing characters.

Nestor Carbonell does not wear eyeliner

At the TV Critics Association press tour, some reporters asked if you wore eyeliner, which Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse denied. What do you think of this?

Carbonell: My brother sent me this link about the TCA, where you guys were at. Someone had asked about whether I was wearing eyeliner. I think Carlton came to my defense, and he said, "He's 100 percent sans makeup" or something like that. I could see why some people would think I have eyeliner on because [my eyelashes] are dark. Especially the bottom row, they're pretty dark. I've been dealing with it since I was a little kid, and so to me it's very funny when it comes up, especially at TCA. My brother told me to look online and sort of Google something about that, and my name came up as a couple things. One of them was Maybelline Man. I've been dubbed by some people as Guyliner. It's very amusing.

From a SciFi Wire interview. You can read the rest here.

There is a heavily debated, nasty internet rumor that the series ender has been shot and

it is a DALLAS, ST. Elsewhere style ending with the Losties and others being patients of an Australian grief counselor who uses a radical hypno-therapy procedure which induces the visions.

I tend to not believe this. If it is even remotely true, there will be pitchforks, torches and nooses issued.

No, I don't believe this.

I don't believe the series ender would have been shot yet. And I don't think the writers/producers would do that to us.

I certainly hope not...but there is a distinct and somewhat detailed rumor out there.

And now for something completely different.

I wonder how old Miles is? After seeing Dr. Pierre Chang with his young son in the flashback a couple of weeks ago, I had one of those epiphany things that Miles might be Chang's son.

Lost: SISTE VIATOR

You'd think we'd start with Jughead. The episode is telling us to start with Jughead. It's part of the Universal Plot. But there are plenty of questions to be raised in this episode, and one thing was deceitfully subtle. I originally planned to focus on that subtlety, but my DVR has a habit of randomly deleting scheduled recordings (thanks, Comcast!), so I didn't get to watch the episode closely until the following day. For good or ill, that provided more time to find a lot more going on. The key symbol of the episode is the cracked bomb, threatening to release a lot more than it would seem to hold; it's an apt symbol for the episode itself. Rather than batter readers with a term paper, this post is broken up into sections that you can click on to jump down to. So first let's lay out some structure, and you can choose which section(s) you'd prefer to read:

Exordium

* The subtle reference will take up most of this post,

o then there is a stint in the overinterpretation station,

o then it points back to some previous texts we've seen before,

o and tries to draw a connection to a new take on the idea of utopia.

* After that is the narrative sandbox: Jughead? DeGroot? Smoky? The compass? Theresa? Ms. Hawking? Who knew what and when?

* If you'd like to read some masterful detective work on Jughead and its connection to physicist John Archibald Wheeler, the person who coined the terms black hole and wormhole, check out Doc Jensen's Entertainment Weekly preview of "Jughead." He dug deep and found something solid.

Thanks for that link A-man...a lot of good stuff there, especially this:

"We're left out of his loop. We know he went into the (story's) past and infiltrated the DHARMA Initiative, possibly to gather information about their work. Could he go into the future as well?"

He's speaking of Farraday there. I had completely forgotten (already) that he had clearly been back at the creation of the DHARMA initiative...now whether he intentionally manipulated time to get himself back there or whether this was during a "leap" back into the past that hasn't happened yet and was the island's doing and not under his control...that is very interesting?

Sidenote: Is this the most complicated show in the history of television?

Thanks for that link A-man...a lot of good stuff there, especially this:

"We're left out of his loop. We know he went into the (story's) past and infiltrated the DHARMA Initiative, possibly to gather information about their work. Could he go into the future as well?"

He's speaking of Farraday there. I had completely forgotten (already) that he had clearly been back at the creation of the DHARMA initiative...now whether he intentionally manipulated time to get himself back there or whether this was during a "leap" back into the past that hasn't happened yet and was the island's doing and not under his control...that is very interesting?

Sidenote: Is this the most complicated show in the history of television?

There is some heavy stuff there to read.