• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's something that has been puzzling me this season: The Oceanic 6 have been off the island for 3 years. After 3 years of time-jumping on the island, wouldn't everyone left behind have died from the temporal displacement thing? Or are 3 years off island just a moot point if you're on island time? Or does it have to do with when (if?) in time the O6 get back to the island? Maybe having something to do with the 70 hours that Ben has? Ack.

Ok what I really, really, really want to know is how come Lapidus and Desmond don't have to return to the Island!?!?! I demand an answer. Now!!!!

And clearly Claire is the hottest person on Lost.

From Lostpedia regarding Danielle:

Her story is inconsistent not only with what actually happened, but also that she had to have been on the island prior to the Purge. The Dharma Initiative was active on the island until December 19, 1992, the day which the Purge occurred. This means that Danielle cohabited the island with the Dharma Initiative for about 4 years. Also unexplained is how she survived the toxic gas attack that struck the island when The Others destroyed DHARMA, nor how she could have tampered with the DHARMA radio tower while they where still using it for the transmission of the numbers.

The gas attack wasn't the whole island was it? I think The Others were wearing masks around the DI houses because they had canisters all over that area, but the entire island wasn't hit. However, the rest is a good point that Danielle and the Dharma Initiative were on the island at the same time for four years.

Here's something that has been puzzling me this season: The Oceanic 6 have been off the island for 3 years. After 3 years of time-jumping on the island, wouldn't everyone left behind have died from the temporal displacement thing? Or are 3 years off island just a moot point if you're on island time? Or does it have to do with when (if?) in time the O6 get back to the island? Maybe having something to do with the 70 hours that Ben has? Ack.

I was thinking that the "event window" that Ms. Hawking had calculated was the time when the island time matched up to the O6 time. Like, in 70 hours the island will jump to a time 3 years later, so the Losties time coincides with the Oceanic 6 time. I wonder if she anticipated the second turning of the wheel though...

Guest Gym Teacher Man
I was thinking that the "event window" that Ms. Hawking had calculated was the time when the island time matched up to the O6 time. Like, in 70 hours the island will jump to a time 3 years later, so the Losties time coincides with the Oceanic 6 time. I wonder if she anticipated the second turning of the wheel though...

intriguing thought. about the wheel turn and how that may effect her window. after all, it's only episode, what 6, of the season? isn't this season supposed to be about them 'getting back to the island'?

EDIT: i forgot to say that it seems unlikely that she'll have no trouble sending them back in episode 6. surely there will be problems, and surely the wheel turn might be part of it. or not. who knows.

The time theory makes sense to me, I like it. Good point about the wheel. I was wondering if the "time-skipping" was due to the wheel being off its track or whatever, but John getting it back on track would be too easy I guess. Christian's appearance surprised me in that episode, but left me to yet again wonder, where the hell is Claire?!?

I caught the episode last night and it was the first time I felt the makers have fallen into the trap that I have feared for a while: that they will contrive awkward narrative/plot devices to get themselves out of a muddle.

That episode there was way too many time jumps and it was all to hint at/partially explain bits of detail from earlier episodes. For example, one jump lasting all of about a minute, was used partially explained away "the sickness". And just when you start getting bored of all the time leaps (used for intents and purposes to get people off the island, to get Jin back on the island, to explain the sickness/smoke monster, to bump off a few characters) they simply say, "Oh y'know that wheel? Well, it was a bit broken, can you just give it a nudge and fix it!" What? That simple? And that really irked me, helped in no small part by how p*ss-poor made that wheel actually is: it's clearly made of polysterene, and not actually that difficult to move despite the hammy efforts of the actors, and the lights underneath it just make it look like a bunch of bad Christmas decorations.

A few other things that didn't square up in my head. Jin met Rosseau in her past, and he recognized her. How come then in earlier episodes the older Rosseau didn't recognise Jin from the encounter in her youth, or even make mention of him?

How come then in earlier episodes the older Rosseau didn't recognise Jin from the encounter in her youth, or even make mention of him?

Did Jin and Rosseau ever really interact? I don't think Rosseau ever spent a lot of time with them, she more or less seemed to leave as quickly as she came to give a warning, snatch a baby, drop off a Ben, etc

Did Jin and Rosseau ever really interact? I don't think Rosseau ever spent a lot of time with them, she more or less seemed to leave as quickly as she came to give a warning, snatch a baby, drop off a Ben, etc

She saw Jin for a very limited period in the 1980's. She had experienced severe traumas (having to kill crew and her husband, having a child kidnapped and surviving the island) and 17 years between her seeing Jin for 20 mnutes or so in 1987 and then seeing him again in 2003. Think it is fairly plausible that she didn't recall him.

She saw Jin for a very limited period in the 1980's. She had experienced severe traumas (having to kill crew and her husband, having a child kidnapped and surviving the island) and 17 years between her seeing Jin for 20 mnutes or so in 1987 and then seeing him again in 2003. Think it is fairly plausible that she didn't recall him.

Well he, unlike her, and save for parched lips and longer hair, would look exactly the same. And he appeared and disappeared via fairly unorthodox means - shipwrecked and vanishing in front of your very eyes.

Despite the traumas, I'm pretty sure I would remember the person who vanished a couple of feet away from me, and then recall them 30 years later. It would kinda stick with you, particularly after it came seconds after blowing away the (possibly not) father of your child.

A few other things that didn't square up in my head. Jin met Rosseau in her past, and he recognized her. How come then in earlier episodes the older Rosseau didn't recognise Jin from the encounter in her youth, or even make mention of him?

That's the difference between Desmond and Rosseau. Desmond was "special" so he remembered meeting Faraday. Danielle, is apparently not "special" so she won't remember actually meeting Jin. I think....

That's the difference between Desmond and Rosseau. Desmond was "special" so he remembered meeting Faraday. Danielle, is apparently not "special" so she won't remember actually meeting Jin. I think....

I wonder if Desmond will remember Faraday's mother as the shopkeeper from his first time flash.

There are some interesting possibilities in this time travel stuff...John was meant to move the island, not Ben. What ramifications lie ahead for that?

Well he, unlike her, and save for parched lips and longer hair, would look exactly the same. And he appeared and disappeared via fairly unorthodox means - shipwrecked and vanishing in front of your very eyes.

Despite the traumas, I'm pretty sure I would remember the person who vanished a couple of feet away from me, and then recall them 30 years later. It would kinda stick with you, particularly after it came seconds after blowing away the (possibly not) father of your child.

Put yourself in Rousseau's shoes, you have been shipwrecked you save a man from the ocean and then his disappears before your eyes. Only to reappear weeks later. Then 16 years later a plane crashes and a bunch of people survive. You meet these people. You scan the crowd and you see a Korean man that looks kinda like that man. Logic would dictate that man you rescued is 16 years older then when you first met him. Sure it is funny how similar they look (his son maybe, or a younger brother). You know nothing of time travel, hell it is impossible right? Furthermore why would you even be looking for this Korean man? Without actively looking for this strange Korean man why would you ever expect to see him as one of the survivors? And furthermore would have time to even ponder that this man is the same, hell you are too busy stealing babies, dropping off prisoners, and being to self absorbed, to even care.

Your theory that they look exactly the same actually works against your argument.

Also I urge you to find a scene where Rousseau and Jin actually interact.

I agree with the others who said that Jin & Danielle never really interacted while on the island. Also, if I remember correctly, it would be more accurate to say that 1988 Jin recognized the name Danielle Rousseau, not Danielle herself.