• Replies 821
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding Jin: We are to now believe that he somehow jumped of of the freighter in the seconds between when we last saw him on the deck and the explosion. Then he furthermore managed to safely navigate away from the fiery wreckage, maintain his sanity and strength enough to start swimming towards the island and then be within the radius of the island shifting. Lastly, he's been floating around off of the coast for who knows how long in actual time with no food or water and has experienced all of the time jumps that the other Losties have experienced. Did I leave anything out?

Maybe the Island still needs him. Michael wasn't allowed to die until his work was done. Locke was shot in the stomach. Desmond was involved in an explosion that blew all of his clothes off but didn't leave a scratch on him.

okay, so why isn't daniel getting a bloody nose then? he's been doing this time travel thing for awhile, right? and we assume he's been to the island many times before (was seen at the construction of the orchid station)..i guess the duration of his stays just dont add up to miles or charlotte? or does it have to do with having a constant? faraday did see desmond fairly recently..(who is his constant)

You are thinking too lineally about the show. When we saw the Orchid Station being built in 5.01, we saw Daniel there. Because you didn't see Sawyer, et al, doesn't mean they weren't there. In Daniel's time line, he will and the other's (if they all don't die) will go to the building of the Orchid station. We should see this in a future episode.

This wibbly wabbley timey wimey stuff is very confusing.

I don't think the producers will fall into the trap of using the time travel as crutch. They have rules, and I don't think they will break those rules. I am sure the Lost Producers saw what happened to Heroes and wow they don't want that to happen to Lost. Heroes got really f'ing bad really f'ing quick.

You are thinking too lineally about the show. When we saw the Orchid Station being built in 5.01, we saw Daniel there. Because you didn't see Sawyer, et al, doesn't mean they weren't there. In Daniel's time line, he will and the other's (if they all don't die) will go to the building of the Orchid station. We should see this in a future episode.

wow. how did that not even cross my mind? that makes a whole lot of sense. stupid time travel craziness

Regarding the nosebleeds, does anyone else think that they could be related to 'the sickness'?

It might just be me and my difficulty to retain information, and the fact that I've never watched an episode more than once, but 'the sickness' has never been explained, has it?

I also thought that the nosebleeds were explained in part at the start of this season. Remember the scene where Dharma were contructing something (one of the pods/stations?) and they were instructed not to drill too deeply into that wall (I think the wall had something to do with moving the island) as it might release something bad, the camera then panned round to a worker semi-collapsing with, ta-dah, a nosebleed. Well, perhaps, Charlotte, Miles and Juliet have all had too much exposure to whatever they feared the drilling could release, and that might have something to do with island moving/time-travel. If we agree that Charlotte, Miles and Juliet somehow originated from the island then they may, in their unrevealed past, have been exposed far more often than we know they have.

OR..... if Charlotte, Miles and Juliet did originate from the island, then their nosebleeds could be a symptom as a result of their current time-travelling messing up where they were supposed to be. In other words, their time travelling is f**king up the space-time continuum (sorry to get all Back to the Future), and what and where their past actions were plotted them to be was now different, resulting in the nosebleeds. Basically, they're changing history and the nosebleeds are a consequence of it (a bit like the McFly family disappearing in Marty's photo).

I haven't really though this through. I'm going for a lie down. Find a happy place....find a happy place.

Will Lost's Time Travel Ever Make Sense?

By my count, we've seen three types of time travel recently on ABC's Lost. Desmond's mind-trips, the island itself vanishing, and people jumping around the island's past. Will one theory ever explain all three?

Personally, I love time travel stories, even when they don't quite make sense - as is frequently the case.

At least Lost is scoring points for me in one area: it has already stated definitively that a time-traveler can't change his/her own past, which is an important question to resolve. (And I think it invalidates this site's theory.) In other words, when you travel through time, you don't create a new timeline, you just visit other points on the same, immutable timeline. (Of course, we've already got an escape clause, because the rules don't apply to Desmond. We'll have to see whom else they don't apply to...)

What do other TV shows do?

Most TV shows involving time travel try to have it both ways at various times - I'm looking at you, Doctor Who and Star Trek! They'll show how you can go back in time and alter your own timeline, but then try to play the "predestination paradox" game. (Data traveled back in time because he saw his head in the ground, and his head was in the ground because he traveled back in time. But if traveling back in time creates a new timeline, as Trek has shown on numerous other occasions, Data's head shouldn't have been in the ground until he'd already traveled backwards in time.) So far, Lost hasn't tried anything so silly.

Besides Doctor Who, a few other current shows seem to be toying with time travel on a regular basis. Lost's companion show Life On Mars has a cop whose mind has been thrown back in time to 1973, but that show seems months (or years) away from explaining what's actually happening. On Heroes, I honestly can't tell what the rules are supposed to be - like, I thought the goodies erased the future timeline where Ando killed Hiro, but last night they were talking about it as if it was a fixed point in the future. So far, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles has kept a pretty consistent view of time travel: every time you travel back, you create a new timeline. So the future that Kyle Reese came back from in the original movie is long gone, and even the future that his brother Derek Reese came from is kaput.

Lost's 3 Forms Of Time Travel

The episode "The Constant" basically made sense to me - Desmond was unstuck in his own timeline, skipping between his past and his present. His body wasn't going anywhere, and the time travel was strictly neurological. It seemed just about plausible that that could happen. (And even though Desmond is "special," we've seen that happen to other people, including the radio operator and that lady in Oxford.)

But now we've seen two other things: the island vanishing, and the castaways coming physically unstuck. They're treated as if they're sort of the same thing, but they're obviously not. (If the island itself was skipping through time, shouldn't its inhabitants be staying put, as the waters around the island change?)

"Think of the island as a record, spinning on a turntable," says Daniel Faraday. "Only now, that record is skipping."

It's interesting that - as far as I can remember - we've never seen what happens when Locke, Sawyer and friends "time travel" from the point of view of someone else. What does Ethan or Richard Alpert see, when Locke vanishes? Does Locke actually physically disappear, or does something else happen? I have a feeling there may be a surprise waiting for us there.

Commenter Putch points out that temporal wrangling comes into play a couple of other ways: Daniel proved that time is moving at a different speed on the island than off. And when Ben left the island, he apparently traveled forward in time to 2005.

What's the actual science here?

In the season premiere "Because You Left," Dr. Marvin Candle says the Orchid Station is on top of a store of "exotic matter." Physicist Michio Kaku told Popular Mechanics that nobody really knows much about exotic matter:

Such matter would have "formed when the Earth was young, and then floated into outer space," Kaku says, "and therefore there's none left on Earth." However, it may have been possible for a pocket of the matter to become accidentally trapped underground. Physicists theorize that exotic matter could have antigravitational properties (so it would fall up) or it would have negative energy (absorbing energy around it, possibly making it implosive). And if it were to have antigravitational properties, it wouldn't want to stay on Earth either; instead, it would rocket into space-violently. "It would be quite dangerous to people who encounter it," says Kaku.

Kaku also has suggested, on other occasions, that a black hole or wormhole could be involved in the island's time travel, but it would require fantastic amounts of energy. That would explain Mrs. Hawking's equations: they're probability equations, because she's calculating a radiation effect. (Radiation has to do with the stability of the wormhole.)

Note that in one episode, we see one of the Others reading Stephen Hawking's A Brief History Of Time, and it's open to a page on black holes.

Does Alpert have two compasses?

BuddyTV brings up an interesting point: Lost seems to be trying to avoid time paradoxes with its rule against changing the timeline. So when Locke meets Alpert in 1954, from Alpert's point of view this meeting "always happened." But what about Alpert's compass?

FutureAlpert gives Locke his compass, so Locke can give it back to him in 1954. Does this mean that the compass is stuck in a time loop? Is there only one compass, which Alpert gives to Locke in the future, and then Locke gives back to him in the past? Or does the 1954 version of Alpert have two compasses now? Also, does Alpert only know to give his compass to Locke because he remembers Locke giving it to him in 1954?

Also, TVoholic points out, Daniel sends the brain of his rat, Eloise, back in time, and now she already knows how to run his maze - because FutureDaniel taught her. But why will Daniel teach Eloise to run the maze, when she now already knows how?

Where/when did the island itself go?

As I mentioned, I don't think we've ever seen Locke or Sawyer "disappear" when a flash happens and they travel through time. We don't know what happens to them from the standpoint of an outside observer. But we have seen the island itself vanish. So where/when is it?

The fact that the people who were on the island at the time are "skipping through time" wouldn't explain the disappearance of the island itself. The island can't be visiting its own past, because then you'd have two near-identical islands occupying the same space. (Which I'm guessing would be bad.)

We probably won't learn more about the island's actual, physical disappearance until we see the Oceanic Six try to return. At least, I'm hoping that returning to the island will clarify where/when it's got to.

So will Lost's time travel ever entirely make sense? Well, it'll probably make more sense than time travel on Heroes or Star Trek, but I'm guessing there will be some hand-waving involved. At the same time, we're probably 27 Earth-shattering revelations and twists between now and the final, absolute explanation of Lost's clock-buggery.

Regarding the nosebleeds, does anyone else think that they could be related to 'the sickness'?

Interesting...now you've got me wondering about the sickness.

We know that Danielle's crew had the "sickness", but she didn't say what it was - only that she had to kill them. But Rousseau is pretty crazy.

Others with nosebleeds: Desmond and Minkowski - theirs was a result of their consciousness skipping through time. Maybe this had to do with being exposed to a strong electromagnetic force. Desmond had extended exposure to the electromagnetic anomaly in the hatch (we know that the force is strong in there from what happened to Jack's key in Season Two). Minkowski could have been exposed to something in the communications room, or at some other point. They were both affected by the consciousness jumps after entering or leaving the island on the wrong bearing. Desmond in Frank's helicopter, and Minkowski when he tried to get to the island. This symptom of the sickness can be cured by finding a constant.

Now Charlotte, Miles and Juliet have nosebleeds. Daniel says that it has something to do with the duration of exposure to the island- I think this shows that Miles and Charlotte were born on the island - but Juliet has been on the island for something like 3 years. I don't think she was born on the island, she's just had a longer exposure than the Losties. And the time jumps, like entering/leaving on the wrong bearing, are causing the nosebleeds. Constants would do no good in their case, they are skipping through time, not just their consciousness. I'm sure Daniel would tell Charlotte she needed a constant if it were that easy.

We also see Goodspeed with a nosebleed, but I think that was a result of the gas that Ben released. I wonder if Rousseau's science team were studying exotic matter or electromagnetic anamolies and they had some previous exposure - they almost certainly entered the island on the wrong bearing. Maybe Jin's appearance in young Rousseau's timeline effectively "exposed" her crew to the time jumps and the sickness. But I wonder why Rousseau didn't die...

Remember when Ben told Richard and the Others to go to the Temple - that that was the only safe place on the island? We thought that Ben was talking about them being safe from the Freighter crew, but I think the Temple is why Richard and the Others aren't affected by the time jumps. As much as I love the Orchid, I think the Temple is where Locke and Sawyer should be heading.

Can't wait for tonight's episode!

We also see Goodspeed with a nosebleed, but I think that was a result of the gas that Ben released. I wonder if Rousseau's science team were studying exotic matter or electromagnetic anamolies and they had some previous exposure - they almost certainly entered the island on the wrong bearing. Maybe Jin's appearance in young Rousseau's timeline effectively "exposed" her crew to the time jumps and the sickness. But I wonder why Rousseau didn't die...

Scatter shooting while waiting for 8pmcst

Rousseau met, saw, interacted with the Jin of the plane crash.

Why doesn't the present Rousseau remember the meeting of the past Rousseau? Is THAT was caused the 'sickness'?

We need to see Jacob and his surrogates (Christian and Claire). So far as we know, only Jack, Claire and Hurley have seen Christian. And, truth be told, only Lock and Ben are sure to have seen Jacob. We can infer that Richard has met and seen Jacob, but Richard's presence and role on the island in anything but clear.

Why did Jack so easily agree to accompany Ben back to the island and 'get the band back together'? He sure as hell didn't listen to Lock.

What tis the deal with the use of philosopher and scientific names for these characters: Jeremy Bentham, John Locke, Rosseau, Richard Alpert, Rousseau, Faraday? If there were more examples of the latter, I would say it was a religion/philosophy/faith vs. reason/science. The Lock and Jack conflict and the contrasting of dark and light is significant here.

Are the 'Adam and Eve' skeletons from season going to end up being a.) Sun and Jin, b.) Charlotte and Daniel, c.) some combination of Jack, Kate, Juliete, Sawyer, d.) Ben and Annie or (my surprise thought) e.) Rose and Bernard, edit: let's not forget f.) Desmond and Penny.

Jack, Hurley and Kate have 'seen' people from the island in the real world. Hurley saw Charlie, Jack saw Christian, Kate saw Claire. Have Sun and Sayeed seen anyone?

How does one go from having a difficult relationship with his father to committing mass murder? And is Ben a complete villian or is he a person forced into making difficult decisions. Decisions that have gone terrible wrong.

Why is Juliete so cavalier about Richard's age.

Is Daniel affecting the flow of time. Desmond didn't remember meeting Daniel at the Hatch until he 'dreamed' it.

We've already had one frozen donkey wheel moment, I hope we aren't in for a bunch of Star Trekian techno-babble in order to bring all these strings together.

What tis the deal with the use of philosopher and scientific names for these characters: Jeremy Bentham, John Locke, Rosseau, Richard Alpert, Rousseau, Faraday? If there were more examples of the latter, I would say it was a religion/philosophy/faith vs. reason/science.

Kelvin, Minkowski, Hawkings...

Kelvin, Minkowski, Hawkings...

It just gets better and better...it is a science/reason vs. faith/philosophy thing...isn't it?

I think the smoke monster/chain thing is connected to the wheel that Ben turned to move the island. Which is place where they were working a while back, and told to be careful as the area would make them sick - if I recall correctly.