Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Imo Trey introducing Genesis is an inspired choice. He's spoken at length over the years many times about how much he was obsessed with The Lamb album, and you can hear the influence in many of their earlier tunes, especially the opening section of You Enjoy Myself, for example.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong will honor The Stooges"

I have mixed feeling about this. I have nothing against Green Day as a band or as people, but that seems like a pretty lame choice.

my feelings are totally un-mixed. i think it's an absolute joke. no dis on Green Day, who are good at what they do, but couldn't they find someone else, someone who was obviously influenced by the Stooges?

in a perfect world, someone like Mark Arm (Mudhoney), Pete Kember (aka Sonic Boom), Deniz Tek (Radio Birdman) or the like would be the choice.

my feelings are totally un-mixed. i think it's an absolute joke. no dis on Green Day, who are good at what they do, but couldn't they find someone else, someone who was obviously influenced by the Stooges?

in a perfect world, someone like Mark Arm (Mudhoney), Pete Kember (aka Sonic Boom), Deniz Tek (Radio Birdman) or the like would be the choice.

I think that Green Day was influenced by the stooges....I can't understand the backlash that BJA and Green Day get. I think they have at lease 2 if not 3 all time classic albums and many other great songs.

I think that Green Day was influenced by the stooges....I can't understand the backlash that BJA and Green Day get. I think they have at lease 2 if not 3 all time classic albums and many other great songs.

They were definitely influenced by bands that were influenced by bands that were influenced by the Stooges.

The way it looks to me is that the HOF wants all the inductors to be people who will eventually be inductees.

I doubt Mudhoney or Radio Birdman will ever get in, but Green Day will.

Apparently Chicago bluesman Lonnie Brooks is being inducted. I can't figure out how he got the nod and not some more important folks.

LouieB

I'd imagine the same way all the other artists got the nod; Jann and his small circle decided on it. That's not a wise-ass remark, just an acknowledgement that the "system" is pretty vague and dependent on a handful of folks. I wonder what the process is for deciding on who gets in but I'd imagine it's pretty informal.

what Green Day song shows a Stooges influence? now if you said Buzzcocks, or even Hüsker Dü i would totally agree. i just don't see the Stooges influence, though admittedly i only know Green Day from radio play.

what Green Day song shows a Stooges influence? now if you said Buzzcocks, or even Hüsker Dü i would totally agree. i just don't see the Stooges influence, though admittedly i only know Green Day from radio play.

Not really talking about the songs as much as the attitude.

• 3 weeks later...

I am hoping Iggy does a jam with ABBA on Dancing Queen.

Phish to Play Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony

Published: 2010/03/15

Phish to Play Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Ceremony

Above: Phish sounchecking at the Waldorf today

Phish will make its first appearance at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony this evening. The Fuse television network has confirmed that the Vermont Quartet will open the show with a “few Genesis classics.” The band is expected to play two songs by the veteran rock band.

As previously reported, Trey Anastasio will induct the band into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame this evening. The ceremony will take place at New York’s Waldorf Astoria. The gala event will air on Fuse at 8:30 PM. The 2010 Rock n’ Roll Hall Of Fame inductees include: ABBA, Genesis, Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies, The Stooges, David Geffen, Barry Mann & Cynthia Weil, Ellie Greenwich & Jeff Barry, Jesse Stone, Mort Shuman and Otis Blackwell.

Hardwood, did you see that? Oh My God! Phish does "Watcher Of The Skies" to open the program - damn near perfectly! :rock

And then Trey's wonderful, heartfelt introduction. It WAS an inspired choice for him to be the guy

I'm so stoked about this - I hope y'all are watching.

"C'mon and get up here and show me that you're not too rich to be cool!"

-Iggy

Man, that "I Wanna Be Your Dog" was freaky-deaky! :rock

Hardwood, did you see that? Oh My God! Phish does "Watcher Of The Skies" to open the program - damn near perfectly! :rock

And then Trey's wonderful, heartfelt introduction. It WAS an inspired choice for him to be the guy

I'm so stoked about this - I hope y'all are watching.

nah, i can't watch this

too sad

i'm sitting here watching the Celtics-Pistons game and listening to London 1973

this isn't how I want to remember Genesis

now, when Guided by Voice gets in the H-of-F, that I'll watch

Trey really did say some beautiful things. He mentioned Stagnation, the Trespass LP, Selling England (which he said was one of the greatest albums ever), and Lamb, of course.

When Mike spoke he complimented Phish on doing "Watcher", saying "You guys did that better than we used to do it most of the time".

"C'mon and get up here and show me that you're not too rich to be cool!"

-Iggy

Man, that "I Wanna Be Your Dog" was freaky-deaky! :rock

i am working on photos from the Scion thing, but my wife DVR'd the Stooges songs, and i just watched 'em. fucking awesome. C'MON RICH PEOPLE. how the FUCK can someone be sitting down on the ass of their multi-thousand Armani suit when "search and destroy" and "i wanna be yr dog" get played? at least Iggy coaxed a few on stage w/ him. most of the fucks in the audience didn't even know the words to the song.

I doubt Iggy is hurting for money. I think it is just a strange mix they have going on there.

And what are the Stooges (or what is left of them) anyway? Metal? Punk? Death Rock? I suppose it depends on which album you are listening to at the time. I have the The Stooges, Fun House, and Raw Power, but I don't ever really listen to them. Iggy's book (I Need More) is a trip to read.

I doubt Iggy is hurting for money. I think it is just a strange mix they have going on there.

And what are the Stooges (or what is left of them) anyway? Metal? Punk? Death Rock? I suppose it depends on which album you are listening to at the time. I have the The Stooges, Fun House, and Raw Power, but I don't ever really listen to them. Iggy's book (I Need More) is a trip to read.

I would probably say the Stooges were proto-punk and leave it at that. They were too far ahead of their time to be easily shoehorned into a genre. Sorta like the Velvet Underground in that way.

I would probably say the Stooges were proto-punk and leave it at that. They were too far ahead of their time to be easily shoehorned into a genre. Sorta like the Velvet Underground in that way.

I guess that is what people usually call them. The early stuff, anyhow.

The Doors were one of Iggy's major influences. At one point in the 70s, he almost joined The Doors. He actually did play a show with them.

What else? The sound of metal being smashed in a machine. So, there you go.

the lineup that played last night was most of the original guys...we all know Ron died last year, but James Williamson was onboard for _Raw Power_, and Dave Alexander died years and years ago...Watt's been in the live lineup for a while now. plus they had Steve Mackay on sax, who played on _Funhouse_.

drag _Funhouse_ out of its dusty hiding spot and crank that bitch. one of the best rock records ever.