Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Artists that are not in the RRHOF that are better than most of those nominated this year:

The Cars

Cheap Trick

Chicago

The Cure

Deep Purple

Def Leppard

Dick Dale

Gram Parsons

Herman's Hermits

KISS

Lou Reed (solo)

MC5

The Monkees

New York Dolls

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Replacements

Three Dog Night

Yes

and many, many, more...

http://www.futurerocklegends.com/previously_considered.php

These guys should go in immediately and the others at some point in the near future.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of the bands listed from that link, i personally would vote for:

Afrika Bambaataa

Alice Cooper

Beastie Boys

Captain Beefheart

The Cars

Cheap Trick

The Cure

Deep Purple

Devo

Fela

Flying Burrito Brothers

Iron Maiden

The Jam

Jethro Tull

Kraftwerk

Love

The Meters

Nick Drake

Peter Gabriel

Peter Tosh

Replacements

Roxy Music

Todd Rundgren

Tom Waits

Yes

the ones in bold I think should be a shoo-in, based on relevance and influence

I totally agree, but one person who without a doubt should be on there is Warren Zevon.

I love Warren Zevon--one of the most original and gifted singer-songwriters ever. Even if he had never done a thing after his self-titled album, he would have arguably deserved a Hall of Fame spot. But he did so much more great stuff. I got to see him live twice, in small venues, and they were amazing shows. I miss his voice--a lot.

Any idea, by the way, why there are so many references to Warren in Californication? His songs or allusions to them are included in almost every episode in the first season. I've never been able to figure out whether there's some connection with the writer or something.

• 2 months later...

It's good to see Alice Cooper getting some recognition.

Rock Hall of Fame to Induct Alice Cooper, Neil Diamond, Tom Waits

t's official -- Alice Cooper, Neil Diamond, Dr. John, Darlene Love and Tom Waits will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next year. The class of 2011 will be formally feted on Mar. 14 at New York's Waldorf Astoria Hotel.

All but Waits were first-time nominees to the Hall. Acts who did not make the cut this year included first-time nominee Bon Jovi, as well as multiple nominees LL Cool J, Donna Summer, the Beastie Boys, J. Geils Band, Chuck Willis, Chic and Joe Tex.

The nomination of shock rock icon Cooper and his original band seemed a long time coming given their commercial success -- four platinum albums and five Top 40 hits between 1971-73 -- and stature as theatrical pioneers.

Cooper figures it's about time the band got into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. But he wasn't worried about it."I've always felt the same way about this whole thing," he tells Billboard.com. "I kind of sat back and said, 'It will happen eventually.' "

"It did get to be kind of a joke, not being nominated," Cooper (born Vincent Furnier) adds. "I got to the point where I was saying, 'OK, I'm the Pete Rose of rock 'n' roll!' So now that it's a reality, it's a different take on it. Now I sit there and go, 'Wow. Wow! We've got to really get up and play, and assume the position of being in the Hall of Fame.' It'll be great."

Cooper says the only time he was upset about not being on the ballot was in 2009, when Kiss, who he considers proteges of a sort, were nominated before him. "That one stung a little bit," he acknowledges. "I sat there and went, 'Now, wait a minute...Really? Are we invisible here, or what?' "

The original Cooper band -- guitarists Michael Bruce and the late Glen Buxton, bassist Dennis Dunaway and drummer Neal Smith -- splintered in 1974, after the "Muscle of Love" album. But Cooper, who's continued as a solo act ever since, says he would not have accepted induction if it wasn't for the entire band.

"The original band was cutting edge," he explains. "It was the original band that had all the iconic records from 'Love it to Death' on to 'Billion Dollar Babies' and 'Muscle of Love.' What I did after that was an aftermath. The original band were the guys that had to cut through that big, thick ice in order to become an entity out there. I can't see how I could just go up there as an individual."

The four surviving Alice Cooper members are currently together in Arizona rehearsing for a performance at Cooper's 10th Annual Christmas Pudding at Phoenix's Comerica Theater, benefiting his Solid Rock Foundation for children. (Rob Zombie, former Eagles guitarist Don Felder, Night Ranger, Glen Campbell, Cheech Marin and Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers are also performing). The group will perform at the induction ceremony, with Steve Hunter, who played in Cooper's "Welcome to My Nightmare" band, filling in for Buxton.

Major theatrics -- such as the guillotine or gallows -- are unlikely for the Hall of Fame ceremony, Cooper says, but it will hardly be a bare-bones performance.

"We'll play 'I'm Eighteen' and 'School's Out,' probably," he says, "but I'm sure there'll be weather balloons of confetti thrown into the audience and stuff like that. They'll know it's us."

• 3 months later...

There are some other clips in the list on the right side of the page. It's a shame VH-1 does not run the ceremony any more.

I thought this too, but Fuse had the whole broadcast.

I'm not sure if your local cable provider has that.

I thought this too, but Fuse had the whole broadcast.

I'm not sure if your local cable provider has that.

It could be they do, but I already pay too much for cable. I don't have all that fancy stuff.

They must have offered more money, or the ratings were not good enough for VH-1 to mess with it anymore.

I guess it is good some clips are out there.

The Alice Cooper Group - "ABC In Concert" 1972

• 5 months later...

Rock Hall Short List Includes Guns N' Roses, The Cure, Joan Jett, Faces

Guns N' Roses, Heart, Joan Jett & the Blackhearts and the Cure are among the first-timers on short list of nominees for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's class of 2011, joining returning hopefuls the Beastie Boys, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Donna Summer and others.

Fifteen finalists are on the ballot that's been sent to the Rock Hall's more than 500 voters, who will in turn select five to be inducted into the shrine on April 14, when the 27th annual ceremony returns to Cleveland for the third time. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation will subsequently determine non-performing inductees and recipients of the Award for Musical Excellence (formerly Sidemen).

Other first-time nominees on this year's ballot include the Small Faces/Faces, the Spinners, Rufus with Chaka Khan, Freddie King and rappers Eric B. & Rakim. Donovan, Laura Nyro and War are making return visits to the ballot.

Acts are eligible at least 25 years after their first commercial recording release, meaning 1986 or before for this year's group. This is the first year for Guns 'N Roses and Eric B. & Rakim's eligibility.

As in 2009, the 2012 ceremony will be open to the public. Individual tickets will go on sale in December, while tables and VIP packages are available now, Information can we found at www.rockhall.com. The Hall of Fame + Museum is planning 10 days of special activities leading up to the ceremony, including the unveiling of a new exhibit and the grand opening of its library and archives.

I'm guessing there won't be a G N' R reunion for the show. Actually I'm hoping there won't be, don't really want them to get in.

Yeah, one great album, and half of a good one does not make for a HoF career.

Yeah, one great album, and half of a good one does not make for a HoF career.

GnR belongs without question. One of the greatest debuts ever, couple ep's put together to make one kickass album(Lies), and one of the greatest double albums of all time, on top of spawning 2 of biggest legends in rock history.

I've Chicago mentioned. Really? Were they that successful before they went soft rock?

Rush, Iron Maiden, Ozzy have gotta be there and if all Deep Purple ever did was write Smoke On the Water they should be in.

GnR belongs without question. One of the greatest debuts ever, couple ep's put together to make one kickass album(Lies), and one of the greatest double albums of all time, on top of spawning 2 of biggest legends in rock history.

Ridiculous, 1 decent album, good guitar player, terrible singer. No way they belong over Replacements, Cheap Trick, Rush, Ozzy, Deep Purple, Cars, and just about anyone else. The hideousness of "November Rain" alone should ban them for eternity.

sounds like you need to build the Prog Rock Hall of Fame.

There is a distinct lack of Prog in the Hall of Fame, Genesis and Floyd apart. Maybe its too european for all you lot!!

If it was up to me I'd have Marillion in there so I'm probably not the best judge.

Ridiculous, 1 decent album, good guitar player, terrible singer. No way they belong over Replacements, Cheap Trick, Rush, Ozzy, Deep Purple, Cars, and just about anyone else. The hideousness of "November Rain" alone should ban them for eternity.

Well, since you don't like their music......Fact is they were the biggest band in the world from 87-94, Slash is the most recognizable musician in the world, and Axl has an unmistakable voice. They've sold millions of albums all over the world and sold out stadiums all over the world.

Are there oversights that should obviously be there? Sure, but lookin at GnR's body of work and how well known and successful they are and their music is I don't think you can deny that they should be in the Hall.

Well, since you don't like their music......Fact is they were the biggest band in the world from 87-94, Slash is the most recognizable musician in the world, and Axl has an unmistakable voice. They've sold millions of albums all over the world and sold out stadiums all over the world.

Are there oversights that should obviously be there? Sure, but lookin at GnR's body of work and how well known and successful they are and their music is I don't think you can deny that they should be in the Hall.

I agree with this although I can see why people would think otherwise. They should be in the hall of fame even though their body of work is not as strong as others (rush etc). They represented mainstream rock and roll for a number of years...although i'm not sure slash is the most recognizable musician in the world! I may be wrong, but I hope I'm not, but surely more people would recognise Sir Paul McCartney or Keith Richards...or even Phil Collins than Slash.

I may be wrong, but I hope I'm not, but surely more people would recognise Sir Paul McCartney or Keith Richards...or even Phil Collins than Slash.

Yeah, maybe people like Macca and Keef. Not sure about Collins b/c he just has a plain look about him, and he wasn't in Beatles or Stones. Slash just has a really distinct look.

We probably should come to grips with the fact that the RNRHOF is a joke.

It is a Jan Wenner vanity project/wankfest.