Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought that was up to the band. Maybe it's not.

Logistically I don't think it could be bands decision I mean who is the band. Let's look at black crowes is it just Chris and rich and what if they disagree. The hof prob have dialog with core band members. My problem is the inconsistent nature of it.

No Rod:

(article from Billboard.com)

Strep Throat Keeping Singer From His Second Induction Ceremony; Simply Red's Mick Hucknall to Fill In

Just like that, the Faces reunion with Rod Stewart has been called off. The remaining three members of the legendary band announced today (April 13) at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum that their lead singer was too ill to perform and is held up in Los Angeles with strep throat.

"Lead singers are dropping like flies. Rod, Axl Rose…" guitarist Ronnie Wood told reporters, a wink and a nod to the Guns N' Roses frontman who declined his invitation on Wednesday. When Billboard suggested asking Rose to fill in, Wood joked, "He might do it for us. He definitely won't do it with GnR."

Wood told Billboard that, "We were completely gutted by the news. Rod was totally gutted by the way." The band suggested to Stewart that he should still attend the ceremony, but accept his award silently. "[His doctors] aren't even letting him fly," Wood told us.

The band -- drummer Kenney Jones, keyboardist Ian McLagan and Wood -- said occasional Faces collaborator Mick Hucknall, lead singer of Simply Red, will take Stewart's place on vocals. They appeared supportive of their famous frontman and wished him well. Stewart missed his own Rock Hall induction in 1994 due to an earthquake in Los Angeles two days prior.

"Unfortunately Rod is complaining of a sore throat..... wonder what will happen now…" Jones tweeted earlier on Friday.

Jones, McLagan and Wood broke the news that Stewart wouldn't attend while presenting a copy of "Faces 1969-75," their deluxe limited edition book published by Britain's Genesis Publications, to the Rock Hall's Library and Archives.

Earlier this week, Jones inadvertently predicted a "surprise" while chatting with Billboard about the group's game plan for their first performance together in nearly 20 years. "We haven't made our mind up totally on what we're gonna do 'cause everything in the Faces, it's always a surprise and things change," he said.

Despite the lack of their high-powered frontman, Wood intimated that their could very well be more guests pick up the slack. "Between everybody here we've got a great band," he said.

The Rock Hall induction ceremony will be broadcast by HBO, debuting at 9 p.m. EST/PST on May 5.

"Lead singers are dropping like flies. Rod, Axl Rose…" guitarist Ronnie Wood told reporters, a wink and a nod to the Guns N' Roses frontman who declined his invitation on Wednesday. When Billboard suggested asking Rose to fill in, Wood joked, "He might do it for us. He definitely won't do it with GnR."

That's pretty funny....

Bit of a shame that Rod won't be there - he seemed excited about it when it was announced.

I don't know if I buy Rod's story. Surely he's gone on stage dozens of times throughout his career with a sore throat. Hopefully I'm wrong, and they'll prove me wrong, by doing a make up date at some point in the very near future.

That's right. I think he was also rumored to be working with Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones, and Jason Bonham a few years ago.

Another letter from Axl:

To: Cleveland, Ohio, Guns N' Roses Fans and everyone who's shown support for my decision regarding the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

I seriously didn't plan on or expect the overwhelmingly positive response and public support for my decision regarding the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. With such a generous outpouring of solidarity from fans, media outlets, writers and other artists, I'm truly humbled, blown away and unbelievably relieved! To be honest, I thought it would go the other way and was just hoping to weather the storm. As I said, I sincerely didn't want to disappoint anyone. It gets old being the outlaw even if "it's only rock and roll".

It took a lot of focus and soul searching to be sincere and informative while making a genuine effort to be somewhat diplomatic. We made, what I feel, are real efforts to learn about the Hall and the Board, spoke as I said with the president and various members, and though I inducted Elton John and Bernie Taupin in '94 saying something to the effect of "I'm learning what the Hall's about..."

I still don't exactly know or understand what the Hall is or how or why it makes money, where the money goes, who chooses the voters and why anyone or this board decides who, out of all the artists in the world that have contributed to this genre, officially "rock" enough to be in the Hall?

This isn't an attack. These are genuine issues I don't have enough verified information on to have more than rough ideas. Certainly not enough information to make any judgments about. I would like to apologize to Cleveland, Ohio for not apologizing to them beforehand for not attending [the ceremony] in their city. I think they know how much I genuinely love performing there. Cleveland does in fact Rock!!

Now that the smoke's cleared a little, any desperate, misguided attacks have been just that, a pathetic stab at gossip, some lame vindictiveness, the usual entitlement crap, he's obsessed, crazy, volatile, a hater. I once bought a homeless woman a slice of pizza who yelled at me she wanted soup. We got her the soup. You can get your own.

Again: HUGE thanks to the fans and to everyone for the incredible public support. My congratulations to the other artists inducted. And my apologies to the city and people of Cleveland, Ohio. I hope you'll forgive me and we hope to see you again soon!

Keep Rockin'

Axl

Unlike my open letter to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame, Guns N' Roses Fans and Whom It May Concern this was written for GNR's official website, Facebook account and my personal twitter account and not intended as a press release. If anyone does choose to pick this up as has been done previously I'd appreciate if you'd run in full including this paragraph so as not to give a partial picture, have things taken out of context or to imply or inadvertently give the impression this was intended for other outlets.

• 5 months later...

This is good news (or somewhat, anyhow):

Here are the nominees for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2013:

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Chic

Deep Purple

Heart

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Albert King

Kraftwerk

The Marvelettes

The Meters

Randy Newman

N.W.A

Procol Harum

Public Enemy

Rush

Donna Summer

Wait what? Procol Harum is nominated but not The Cure, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, New Order or the Smiths? Those bands influenced other bands that followed who was influenced by Procol? :blink

Ben Folds? :stunned

This list is actually the best I can remember for at least the last few year. Kraftwerk alone makes this list respectable. We know at least 5 will be inducted. My picks are Chic, Kraftwerk, DP, Rush, Donna Summer, PE (OK That is six) and Albert King will get in like they did with Freddy King last year (early influence).

This is good news (or somewhat, anyhow):

Rush AND DP. I think Eddie Trunk should give the nominating speech for one of those.

They might get Billy Corgan in there. I say this due to the way he talked about them in the documentary.

I wonder if Ritchie will show up if DP gets in there? I think he and Ian Gillan still hate each other.

Not one of my favorite DP songs, but these rehearsal videos are great:

No No No (Beat Club Rehearsal 1)

Here are the nominees for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2013:

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Chic

Deep Purple

Heart

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Albert King

Kraftwerk

The Marvelettes

The Meters

Randy Newman

N.W.A

Procol Harum

Public Enemy

Rush

Donna Summer

— The Paul Butterfield Blues Band.

— Chic.

— Deep Purple.

— Heart.

— Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

— Albert King.

— Kraftwerk.

— The Marvelettes.

— The Meters.

— Randy Newman.

— N.W.A.

— Procul Harum.

— Public Enemy.

— Donna Summer.

— Rush.

If not even one of the bold make it in before or at the same time as Rush does, I will be largely disappointed with Rush's fan base as I already see just by looking online. There are opinions. And then sometimes, you're just wrong, inconsiderate, and naive.

That's the other thing - so many line-ups. I like the Burn album.

Oh yeah, me too. I even like Come Taste The Band quite a bit.