Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

GnR will make it because they were the biggest rock act for a long run there and sold a bazillion albums. Doesn't mean they deserve to be there ahead of numerous others, though.

That pretty much sums it up. I supposed the clues in the title. Fame. Famous, Infamous. I'd stuggle to argue that G'n'R weren't a famous Rock and Roll band. Not the best...but for a while, certainly the most famous.

And I actually like November Rain but that's probably for the guilty pleasures thread!

And...I actually got around to listening the the Chinese Democracy album and it is alot better than I imagined it would be.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like the Grammys.

As in it being a joke...it's a matter of scale. (remember...Arcade Fire won album of the year over GAGA and EMENEM; but, that in itself was considered a joke by some)

But any band that Jan Wenner doesn't like or had a falling out with will not make the RNRHOF.

Are there oversights that should obviously be there? Sure, but lookin at GnR's body of work and how well known and successful they are and their music is I don't think you can deny that they should be in the Hall.

I guess by that argument we can expect Nickelback to get in at some point? I just don't see that G N' R broke any new ground, has an amazing body of work, or really changed or influenced music in any way.

But I fully cop to a complete bias in the matter.

GnR belongs in. Their influence and lasting power of Appetite necessitates it. The underground scene of the 80s is incredibly important, and much better. But it's the Hall of Fame. Paul Westerberg > Axl Rose by a factor of infinity, but I bet some who choose who go in don't even know who the guy is.

• 2 months later...

Rock Hall Inductees 2012: Guns N' Roses, Beastie Boys make grade

Ian MacLagan of the Small Faces and Faces put it best: "There's going to be some rock 'n' roll up on that stage" at the 27th Annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductions, taking place April 14 in Cleveland.

MacLagan's bands will be joined in a Rock Hall class of 2012 by Guns N' Roses, the Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Beastie Boys, along with the late singer-songwriter Laura Nyro and the British troubadour Donovan. The late bluesman Freddie King will be inducted as an Early Influence, while writer and producer Don Kirshner will receive posthumously the Ahmet Ertegun Award for non-performers. Three producers -- the late Tom Dowd, Glyn Johns and New Orleans R&B icon Cosimo Matassa -- will receive The Award For Musical Excellence.

The lineup provides plenty of intrigue for the 2012 induction ceremony. It will mark the Beastie Boys' first major public appearance since the group's Adam "MCA" Yauch announced that he had cancer in July of 2009.

On the Guns N' Roses front, meanwhile, fans are anxious to see if the estranged original band members will regroup to perform or even appear together to accept their trophies. Last month guitarist Slash told Billboard.com that "with Guns 'N Roses, there's really no guessing exactly how it will go. I suppose if it happens, everybody will get some sort of ducks in order." Frontman Axl Rose, the only founding member left in the GNR lineup, said on VH1's "That Metal Show" that "I don't know what it means in terms of me with the old band and the old lineup. If we were to be invited, I don't know what they would ask of me. It's up in the air."

There likely won't be any similar issues for the Chili Peppers, who are currently touring in Europe to support their new "I'm With You" album, or Donovan. And MacLagan tells Billboard.com that some representation from the Small Faces/Faces camp will "absolutely" perform.

"You can't stop us," says MacLagan, who's played some Faces dates with guitarist Ron Wood, drummer Kenney Jones and Simply Red's Mick Hucknall filling in for Rod Stewart. MacLagan says Stewart -- who missed his own Rock Hall induction in 1994 due to an earthquake in Los Angeles two days prior -- is expected to attend the April ceremony. "If he comes up on stage that would be full circle, perfect," the keyboardist notes.

MacLagan adds that he still feels ambivalent about the Small Faces and Faces being lumped together as one entity. "But I'll take it, if that's how we get it," he says. "It would've been nice to have separate mentions, but it may never have happened that way, so I'll take it this way. I'm excited, especially for (late members) Ronnie (Lane) and Steve (Marriott)."

The April ceremony will be taped for broadcast by HBO, which plans to air it in early May. Like the 2009 inductions, which were also held in Cleveland, the April event will be open to the public; tickets go on sale for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame + Museum members at 10 a.m. Dec. 16, and to the general public at 10 a.m. the next day. Tickets are $50 and $100, with a two-ticket limit on all orders. More information is available at www.rockhall.com.

In addition to the induction ceremony, the Rock Hall will host more than a week of special events, including the grand opening of its revamped library and archives, concerts -- including a gospel tribute -- and educational programs. Details will be announced in the near future.

Kinda interested to see what happens with GnR. Clearly, it's the original lineup that was inducted into the HoF -- yet you know that if it's left up to Axl he's going to be loyal to his current bandmates (as he probably should). And if the Hall tries to impose something on Axl that he really doesn't want, he's gonna walk.

I don't see him and Slash sharing a hug, but stranger things have happened. It's good to see The Small Faces and Faces get some recognition. I say that as those are two of my favorite bands. It would be nice to see Rod up there with the guys, but I will be surprised if that happens also.

Ahh no Cure... :ninja

A little bit surprised about that one, although I probably shouldn't be.

A little bit surprised about that one, although I probably shouldn't be.

Same here (about the Cure).

This year's lineup is good overall, though.

I am sure Stewart will play with the Faces, unless he has a gig planned already.

Not a big fan of the Chili Peppers, but they should be entertaining. Dowd and Johns are very worthy editions, also.

I don't remember the last time I watched any of these festivities - probably since they were aired on VH-1 or MTV.

Same here (about the Cure).

This year's lineup is good overall, though.

I am sure Stewart will play with the Faces, unless he has a gig planned already.

Not a big fan of the Chili Peppers, but they should be entertaining. Dowd and Johns are very worthy editions, also.

I don't remember the last time I watched any of these festivities - probably since they were aired on VH-1 or MTV.

We'll see. I have not seen them since then either. I use to tape them.

We'll see. I have not seen them since then either. I use to tape them.

It sounds like Stewart is excited, at least.

from the Chicago Tribune:

http://www.chicagotr...0,1684881.story

"Well it's quite a thrill and honor to make it in the Hall of Fame a second time," Stewart said in a statement. "We (The Faces) were always synonymous with a good party and with this list of fellow artists being inducted I'm looking forward to (it) ... and it's a hell of a good reason to reunite and celebrate with my old mates."

Almost what I would have guessed with what was nominated. The cure should be in and they may be down the road. I wonder who will be inducted for GNR and RHCP...RHCP have had like 4-5 guitar members. Is Dizzy going in with GNR? I would think GNR would be the original 5 plus the second drummer.

It's weird when you think GNR really only had 2 proper records and they get so much more respect then Boston. I think Boston 1 is as good of a record as any including GNR 1.

Rock Hall Reactions

Ian McClagan of The Faces (and Small Faces, also being co-inducted) told Billboard that some incarnation of the band will "absolutely" perform at the induction ceremony, taking place April 14 in Cleveland. "You can't stop us." Rod Stewart told Rolling Stone he will "definitely" make himself available to perform alongside surviving member of the rowdy rockers, including McClagan, Ronnie Wood and Kenny Jones.