Wilco Vinyl

Did anyone else catch ABC's Nightline Wednesday (3/4/09) evening?

They had a brief story on the resurgence of vinyl, and went to an indie record store (Crooked Beat Records in DC). Near the end of the clip, they showed a close-up of Sky Blue Sky, and then talked about how it also came with a CD inside the LP jacket so fans could have both.

One of the guys they interviewed described listening to the sound of LPs vs. digital music like this (I'm paraphrasing): "a digital recording is like a single lightbulb in the center of a room, illuminating everything evenly; while listening to vinyl is like having a fireplace hearth in the corner that casts a glow."

Go here: Wilco LP sighting on Nightline ... click on Wednesday and look for Vinyl: the Last Track

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else catch ABC's Nightline Wednesday (3/4/09) evening?

They had a brief story on the resurgence of vinyl, and went to an indie record store (Crooked Beat Records in DC). Near the end of the clip, they showed a close-up of Sky Blue Sky, and then talked about how it also came with a CD inside the LP jacket so fans could have both.

One of the guys they interviewed described listening to the sound of LPs vs. digital music like this (I'm paraphrasing): "a digital recording is like a single lightbulb in the center of a room, illuminating everything evenly; while listening to vinyl is like having a fireplace hearth in the corner that casts a glow."

Go here: Wilco LP sighting on Nightline ... click on Wednesday and look for Vinyl: the Last Track

I was just coming to post that here. :lol That was a very interesting segment. "I want to go to there," that store, I mean. I even saw a Tom Waits "Mule Variations" poster in the background! Here in VA there are no stores where I can find vinyls. A few year ago when I lived in PA, I could find them everywhere. But all we had was small mom and pop stores- no best buys or anything. So, maybe with the rise in sales, they will slowly start creeping their way back into stores. :yes

I've asked a couple independent record stores in my area (including one participating in Record Store Day) and they haven't heard anything about the reissues.

When I asked the last time, the worker replied "They need to release Summerteeth, it'd be like printing money." They did say next time they speak w/ "Wilco's people" (regarding new album press, etc) he will be sure to ask.

It's a little weird. One of our distros lists the reissues, and I was able to put them on "backorder" but now they have all sorts of codes and stuff that make it seem like they might not happen. My guy at the distro CLAIMS to no nothing, and our WBR rep has only sent info on the DVD.

I think it's Weekly World News territory now.

20061116-WWN20Nov2006.jpg

Ok stick with me on this one. I know I've been accused of being paranoid about this, but you guys have to believe me. This past weekend I was camping outside of Vancouver WA up in the foot hills of the Cascades and I had an encounter. What I saw was .....................unbelievalbe litteraly. First there were black helicopters of course............then the lights.........the lights were almost nauseating. A beam of light shot down from what appeared to be a disc like object (almost looked like a huge CD) No actually like a huge CD-R (no label was visible). Anyway, of course there was an unknown pognid (Sasquatch) at the end of that light beam. The pognid was holding one copy each of Wilco's first three albums and a copy of Mer Ave II (????) all on vinyl. The animal then vanished ...........most likely passed into a third dimension. It was surreal and beautiful.

Ok stick with me on this one. I know I've been accused of being paranoid about this, but you guys have to believe me. This past weekend I was camping outside of Vancouver WA up in the foot hills of the Cascades and I had an encounter. What I saw was .....................unbelievalbe litteraly. First there were black helicopters of course............then the lights.........the lights were almost nauseating. A beam of light shot down from what appeared to be a disc like object (almost looked like a huge CD) No actually like a huge CD-R (no label was visible). Anyway, of course there was an unknown pognid (Sasquatch) at the end of that light beam. The pognid was holding one copy each of Wilco's first three albums and a copy of Mer Ave II (????) all on vinyl. The animal then vanished ...........most likely passed into a third dimension. It was surreal and beautiful.

Was AM pressed on a red disc, or was it still in the sleeve?

In all seriousness (not that the incident wasn't serious) has anyone here ever contacted Wilco mgmt about anything. I was thinking we could contact just to find out what is up or lobby for the release of these on vinyl.

In all seriousness (not that the incident wasn't serious) has anyone here ever contacted Wilco mgmt about anything. I was thinking we could contact just to find out what is up or lobby for the release of these on vinyl.

go ahead

They are very responsive. Do it!

I read on a blog that MAD MUSIC also broke the news of the Whiskeytown reissues, so there may be some credibility to it. The UK Amazon says Apr 27.

I tried asking a couple weeks back along with any Blu Ray or soundtrack info for Ashes with no reply

alright.....alright.....enough!!!...............go to www.acousticsounds.com they have the wilco re-issues available for preorder. In the future please support better sites that support vinyl than musicdirect.com. instead try elusivedisc.com or insound.com. that is all. thank you

alright.....alright.....enough!!!...............go to www.acousticsounds.com they have the wilco re-issues available for preorder. In the future please support better sites that support vinyl than musicdirect.com. instead try elusivedisc.com or insound.com. that is all. thank you

Thanks for the tip and heads up, but I don't think this hardly solves the mystery, unless you have some connection despite noticing this on www.acousticsounds.com. Wilco mgmt may have not noticed this posting like they did with MusicDirect and therefore haven't thought to ask them to pull the listings. Anyway, I figure sitting here on March 11th, that if this was happening on April 18th, that Wilco mgmt would have announced it. No reason for it to be secret right? Now if you have some connection and you came on here for your first post to shed light, then that is cool.

Thanks for the tip and heads up, but I don't think this hardly solves the mystery, unless you have some connection despite noticing this on www.acousticsounds.com. Wilco mgmt may have not noticed this posting like they did with MusicDirect and therefore haven't thought to ask them to pull the listings. Anyway, I figure sitting here on March 11th, that if this was happening on April 18th, that Wilco mgmt would have announced it. No reason for it to be secret right? Now if you have some connection and you came on here for your first post to shed light, then that is cool.

I hope I didn't come off harsh in my last post. I have no connections with anyone that would give me any inside information with the re-release of these albums. What I do know is that in the past acousticsounds.com has posted re-release info and ship dates for records before any other company (i.e. It was the first place I learned about the re-release of YHF). Lots of times this type of information is under embargo....and I can't honestly tell you that these records will be out in time for record day...but I assure you, they will be out soon. If I was a business man, I would coincide the release of these records with the release of their new album.

I hope I didn't come off harsh in my last post. I have no connections with anyone that would give me any inside information with the re-release of these albums. What I do know is that in the past acousticsounds.com has posted re-release info and ship dates for records before any other company (i.e. It was the first place I learned about the re-release of YHF). Lots of times this type of information is under embargo....and I can't honestly tell you that these records will be out in time for record day...but I assure you, they will be out soon. If I was a business man, I would coincide the release of these records with the release of their new album.

No, it wasn't harsh at all, I just was wondering if you had any direct knowledge. Wilco mgt is pretty good at gearing the base up for the next release. It seems like the whole YHF ordeal has taught them something about timing and marketing. AGIB and especially SBS were super marketed. I would assume that they would have the DVD and the re releases well timed to gear up for the June release of "Wilco Happens" (just joking I have no idea)

As rare as the original Summerteeth vinyl is, it might as well be made out of 14 carart gold.

The answer is: I don't know, sorry.

Speaking of 180 gram vinyl. I own more vinyl than anyone should, but by no means am I an audiophile freak. What do people notice about 180 gram outside of the fact that it makes for one heavy record?

Hey does anyone know if the original pressing of summerteeth was on 180g vinyl? i searched but can't find anything on it so i assume it wasn't since its more of a new fad that companies have been into.

it is not.