Wilco Vinyl

As rare as the original Summerteeth vinyl is, it might as well be made out of 14 carart gold.

The answer is: I don't know, sorry.

Speaking of 180 gram vinyl. I own more vinyl than anyone should, but by no means am I an audiophile freak. What do people notice about 180 gram outside of the fact that it makes for one heavy record?

i always try to fool myself that it sounds better just because it feels like its better quality when I take it out of the sleeve and place it on the tt, but the truth is i can't really tell. I wonder what others think...

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wiki:

Vinyl quality

The sound quality and durability of vinyl records is highly dependent on the quality of the vinyl. During the early 1970s, as a cost-cutting move towards use of lightweight, flexible vinyl pressings, much of the industry adopted a technique of reducing the thickness and quality of vinyl used in mass-market manufacturing, marketed by RCA Victor as the "Dynaflex" (125 g) process, considered inferior by most record collectors.[27] Most vinyl records are pressed on recycled vinyl.

New "virgin" or "heavy" (180

I've said it before, and I will say it again, and I will continue saying it until someone with authority listens to me.

I don't care how much better 180g sounds in theory or in practice. We need to get back to the single LP. Flipping the record every 3 songs is preposterous. There should be two sides to a record. Unless it's a double record, obviously. Blonde on Blonde, Exile, Being There, etc.

This should be in the constitution. I'd give up sound quality for this. The flow of an album is just as (if not more) important than fidelity.

Vinyl quality

"Dynaflex" (125 g) process, considered inferior by most record collectors.[27] Most vinyl records are pressed on recycled vinyl.

Since most vinyl records are from recycled plastic, impurities can be accumulated in the record, causing a brand new album to have audio artifacts like clicks and pops. Virgin vinyl means that the album is not from recycled plastic, and will theoretically be devoid of these impurities. In practice, this depends on the manufacturer's quality control.

Ah the dreaded Dynaflex.....I remember it well (I have many in my collection actually...)

And yes theoretically is the word to remember here...

LouieB

I've said it before, and I will say it again, and I will continue saying it until someone with authority listens to me.

I don't care how much better 180g sounds in theory or in practice. We need to get back to the single LP. Flipping the record every 3 songs is preposterous. There should be two sides to a record. Unless it's a double record, obviously. Blonde on Blonde, Exile, Being There, etc.

This should be in the constitution. I'd give up sound quality for this. The flow of an album is just as (if not more) important than fidelity.

Hear, hear.

why does the 180g allow for less songs on each side? Either way, I agree, new vinyl being chopped up to 4 different sides is ridiculous. It ruins the flow and IMHO takes away from the art of sequencing an album. Who sits around saying, "I would love to open Side E with an instrumental"????

I believe there is less room per side because 180g runs at 45 instead 33 1/3.

Don't listen to much vinyl these days so could be wrong.

That unfortunately is not accurate. I have never changed my setting speed for a full length vinyl.

I believe there is less room per side because 180g runs at 45 instead 33 1/3.

Don't listen to much vinyl these days so could be wrong.

Most LPs are still 33 1/3 although there are some at 45. There is a whole series of audiophile Blue Note releases that are a ton of money that play at 45. There are certainly 12 inch singles that play at 45, but your standard LP is still 33.

If the grooves are further apart it plays faster that's all or else there is just alot of dead wax at the end of each side.

LouieB

Most LPs are still 33 1/3 although there are some at 45. There is a whole series of audiophile Blue Note releases that are a ton of money that play at 45. There are certainly 12 inch singles that play at 45, but your standard LP is still 33.

If the grooves are further apart it plays faster that's all or else there is just alot of dead wax at the end of each side.

LouieB

I was thinking of those Blue Notes and I also believe Hail To The Thief is a 12" 45. But I haven't bought vinyl in a few years since my TT broke. These Wilco releases are certainly making me think about buying one now even if I can't afford a nice one.

The wider the groove the wider the frequency range. More low end.

Maybe...but also the faster the more information that can be in the groove. That's why 78s sound better than anything else.

I hear the new Wilco is going to be in a big old album with a whole bunch of records....

LouieB

I was thinking of those Blue Notes and I also believe Hail To The Thief is a 12" 45. But I haven't bought vinyl in a few years since my TT broke. These Wilco releases are certainly making me think about buying one now even if I can't afford a nice one.

Beck "Guero" is also played at 45 rpm.

i agree with not spreading the albums out over 4 sides. it really does kill the mood getting up every three songs and flipping sides.

problem is that the average play time of a new release is beyond what can be held on two sides. so you can cut off a few songs, put them on a 45 (like dino jr did on their last release), put the songs on three sides if they fit (hayes carll, explosions in the sky) or do what wilco did and spread them over 4 sides. one benefit is that no music is recorded in the inner third of the vinyl and thereby, there's less chance for misstracking that will be more pronounced nearer the spindle. it also allows the grooves to be cut at optimal dimensions giving greater stereo separation, dynamics, and low end. so that's why wilco made that choice.

i wish they'd just leave off the songs i don't like. that'd be my solution.

I actually like the way Sky Blue Sky is split up. I usually play one side over a few times before changing it

I considered buying SBS recently and marveled at the way the album broke into four sides, and wondered whether that impacted overall track order.

YHF, however, ending a side just *before* the "subset of 'Heavy Metal Drummer'' is veerrry misfortunate.

I considered buying SBS recently and marveled at the way the album broke into four sides, and wondered whether that impacted overall track order.

I often wonder if they considered that too. I still think You Are My Face sounds Awkward coming after Either Way. Doesn't seem to flow.

They will come now or they will come later...really what is the difference?

WEA isn't all that concerned with trying to foster good relations with the music buying public anyway....

LouieB

it would be nice to have them for RSD since many stores have sales on all new vinyl that day. yeah WEA isn't that fan/artist friendly these days are they?

Don't bet on any of these being on sale, even if they do show up.

LouieB

Has anyone still have an pre-order out there for these releases that does not show a TBD release date with them now? Me thinks theyve had some delays in trying to re-press them all before Record Store Day. MMJ has had the same problems with ATO re-releasing all of their early albums in 2008. Each of those were limited to 1000, and I don't think any of them saw their original release date.