Wilco Vinyl

They've updated their site and this item is no longer posted -- can someone provide a summary?

Grimey's announced that Wilco would be re-releasing "A.M.", "Being There" and "Summerteeth" on 180g vinyl for a Record Store Day release. However, this is the only site yet to report such news.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just starting to dive into the vinyl craze myself and couldn't be more happier about the news of the re-releases! I only have YHF (with AGIB on the way)...but experiencing YHF on vinyl got me hooked instantly!

That being said, I cannot believe how unfortunate it is that the Ashes of American Flags / Heavy Metal Drummer transition is completely lost due to having to switch records. What a buzzkill!

That being said, I cannot believe how unfortunate it is that the Ashes of American Flags / Heavy Metal Drummer transition is completely lost due to having to switch records. What a buzzkill!

I was just listening to this today and thought the same thing. Ha.

Wilco on vinyl is something that everyone should experience. Just beautiful...

I'm just starting to dive into the vinyl craze myself and couldn't be more happier about the news of the re-releases! I only have YHF (with AGIB on the way)...but experiencing YHF on vinyl got me hooked instantly!

But you get to hear the proper ending of 'Pot Kettle Black', so it evens out. :thumbup

Good news on the AM vinyl rerelease.

However, I do not see the point in a Summerteeth vinyl. I've said this before... but, since most of Summerteeth was recorded digitally, in the late 90s when 20 gigs of harddrive space was considered an extreme luxury, it likely wasn't recorded at anything better then CD quality to begin with. So if you had Summerteeth on vinyl you'd essentially be listening to the same thing as the CD. It's like taking a picture in Microsoft Paint and trying to expand it, it just gets blurry, you can't increase what isn't there, and the quality isn't there to sound better on vinyl. Unless maybe it was recorded at 24 bits and maybe a higher sample rate, which I doubt, but if so I think a DVD release would be even better.

However, I do not see the point in a Summerteeth vinyl. I've said this before... but, since most of Summerteeth was recorded digitally, in the late 90s when 20 gigs of harddrive space was considered an extreme luxury, it likely wasn't recorded at anything better then CD quality to begin with. So if you had Summerteeth on vinyl you'd essentially be listening to the same thing as the CD. It's like taking a picture in Microsoft Paint and trying to expand it, it just gets blurry, you can't increase what isn't there, and the quality isn't there to sound better on vinyl. Unless maybe it was recorded at 24 bits and maybe a higher sample rate, which I doubt, but if so I think a DVD release would be even better.

Maybe, but I like putting the needle down on a record. Reason enough for me.

Well some ave said Summerteeth on cd is a little loud for their liking so a vinyl version may be mastered to make it more dynamic.

For me, I do notice the difference in sound at times when listening to vinyl vs. CD, but don't consider myself a huge wiz on the subject. The experience and attention required and size of album art relating to vinyl makes it a more pleasant experience. The idea of sitting in a chair, putting down that needles, staring at the album art and not being able to skip over or pause the damn thing is really cool, even if the sound quality isn't perfect.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. You need to understand that though Summerteeth had a ton of "digital" sound elements being layered into the framework of each song, it was (as all the Wilco records have been) recorded in analog originally and digitally mastered. That being said, if you ever have the opportunity to hear 'Summerteeth', especially 'Via Chicago', on a good quality sound system (preferably through a tube amplifier) then you will understand what an incredibly different and wonderful experience it is.

Seriously, I've owned 'Summerteeth' on CD since its original release and just recently purchased it on vinyl for what was, after hearing the record, a small price to pay. The whole dynamic of it changes drastically.

It's a brave new world when you get to experience the music like this as close as it could possibly be to original sound. The only way to do that is through vinyl. Preferably "original" pressings, but that a whole other conversation.....

so y'all know this is official now? music direct is taking preorders.

It's weird that there appears to be nothing on the wilco website about this. I can't say I looked all that carefully, but I didnt see any news, any preorder link, etc.

Well, as I guess was the inspiration for the OP, but I'll say it again. Wilco releasing their enitre catalouge on vinyl seems to be the biggest no brainer known to man. If it doesn't happen it will be #10956 of why I don't understand buisness, especially the music buisness.

well, not necessarily.

i ordered myself some ray lamontagne vinyl pressings of his back catalogue back in october, still TBD release date...

nothing's certain, even if we'll be alive at the end of april. it's a lot more certain than an overseas amazon entry and a blurb from an indy record store, though.

I'll admit the music direct posting looks pretty legit. They state an actual release date and summary on the product etc etc. It is odd that Wilco HQ hasn't said a word, specifically since they are promoting the April 18th DVD which is the same date music direct gives for the vinyl re releases. My assumption is, that if you buy the DVD you get all the vinyl re releases for free and therefore they are trying to keep that hush hush. :dance