Wilco Vinyl

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
I was looking on the waterloo records site then cliked on record store day exclusives!

http://www.waterloorecords.com/rsdExclusives.html

Thank You. This of course adds a whole new level of confusion to this already confused issue. Is this old news that hasn't been updated? Are Wilco trying to slip one under our noses? Is this just teaser to get us into the stores? Crazy stuff.

A little surfing exploration has found that at least a handful of sites are stating that the Wilco Reissues will be a part of Record Store Day. The only one that appears recently updated is the afforementioned Waterloo Records site. The rest could be old news. Now to further confuse one site (addicted to vinyl blog) listed that the reissues were pushed to June (as of March 22nd).

Who freaking knows, I will show up on Saturday and either spend a few bucks or not. Hey while were at it (ya know not getting vinyl reissues) how bout some good old Uncle Tupelo vinyl reissues. Who the hell are the people running record companies? Have they ever once spoke to the fans about "Hey what do indie rock fans listen to and in what format?" "Do you guys ever buy vinyl records?" How can the vinyl market being growing but no one has thought to release UT's back catalouge on vinyl. Why is no one asking my opinion? Once again, money is there to be made, but the record companies apparently are against anything that remotely looks like a successful endeavour. :pirate

A little surfing exploration has found that at least a handful of sites are stating that the Wilco Reissues will be a part of Record Store Day. The only one that appears recently updated is the afforementioned Waterloo Records site. The rest could be old news. Now to further confuse one site (addicted to vinyl blog) listed that the reissues were pushed to June (as of March 22nd).

Who freaking knows, I will show up on Saturday and either spend a few bucks or not. Hey while were at it (ya know not getting vinyl reissues) how bout some good old Uncle Tupelo vinyl reissues. Who the hell are the people running record companies? Have they ever once spoke to the fans about "Hey what do indie rock fans listen to and in what format?" "Do you guys ever buy vinyl records?" How can the vinyl market being growing but no one has thought to release UT's back catalouge on vinyl. Why is no one asking my opinion? Once again, money is there to be made, but the record companies apparently are against anything that remotely looks like a successful endeavour. :pirate

Let's be honest.....the record companies aren't making all that much money on vinyl records. There aren't that many pressing plants and it costs more than CDs to produce LP. They are only humoring everyone doing this. As soon as the demand lessens, alot of the companies will stop producing them. Right now this is hot, but as we all know, hot only lasts so long. The Wilco reissues are selling for alot of money and the demand is there. There was just enough demand for UT for us to get the expanded CDs. Maybe Sony will figure out the Wilco/Son Volt fans can help them make some money on UT, but it seems unreasonable, since they have already blown their wad on the CD reissues. (How well do they sell? How committed to LPs are Son Volt listeners? Are there any SV records on vinyl currently?)

LouieB

Let's be honest.....the record companies aren't making all that much money on vinyl records. There aren't that many pressing plants and it costs more than CDs to produce LP. They are only humoring everyone doing this. As soon as the demand lessens, alot of the companies will stop producing them. Right now this is hot, but as we all know, hot only lasts so long. The Wilco reissues are selling for alot of money and the demand is there. There was just enough demand for UT for us to get the expanded CDs. Maybe Sony will figure out the Wilco/Son Volt fans can help them make some money on UT, but it seems unreasonable, since they have already blown their wad on the CD reissues. (How well do they sell? How committed to LPs are Son Volt listeners? Are there any SV records on vinyl currently?)

LouieB

All of the Son Volt albums except Okemah have been available on vinyl. You can still get Staightaways and WST on vinyl. Of course yes I own all Son Volt vinyl (the first incarnation of the band)

I'm sure the economics of it aren't great, but It is a huge pet peeve (sp?) of mine when record companies or bands get in the way of music being heard.

LouieB

You have great logic here but some of the new 180 pressings get up into the $40 range depending on the album. I actually think the companies do just fine on vinyl releases. I'm sure they make just as much as they do on a CD, just in smaller proportions.

You have great logic here but some of the new 180 pressings get up into the $40 range depending on the album. I actually think the companies do just fine on vinyl releases. I'm sure they make just as much as they do on a CD, just in smaller proportions.

Well your logic works okay too, IF you charge 40 bucks a shot. Yikes. I have seen that kind of price for albums, but puleeze......is that what we have to look forward to?? I remember when albums were 4 or 5 bucks a piece. Now admittedly that was a long time ago and money was worth alot more, but essentially this is 100 year old technology we are talking about here. I guess if the market will bear it, then sell it. (They just can't sell it to to me, that's all...) And at $40 a shot the supply and demand curve is going to give out at some point, except to folks who can afford a many thousand dollar stereo system.

LouieB

Well your logic works okay too, IF you charge 40 bucks a shot. Yikes. I have seen that kind of price for albums, but puleeze......is that what we have to look forward to?? I remember when albums were 4 or 5 bucks a piece. Now admittedly that was a long time ago and money was worth alot more, but essentially this is 100 year old technology we are talking about here. I guess if the market will bear it, then sell it. (They just can't sell it to to me, that's all...) And at $40 a shot the supply and demand curve is going to give out at some point, except to folks who can afford a many thousand dollar stereo system.

LouieB

The only person consistently charging 40 per album that I have seen (Music Direct Catalouge) is Neil Young and I have politely said f off to that. For what it is worth I think Sub Pop has done vinyl the right way. It is usually 12 dollars, with always a free download coupon. They don't get into the whole 180 gram crap. It is simple and easy.

The only person consistently charging 40 per album that I have seen (Music Direct Catalouge) is Neil Young and I have politely said f off to that. For what it is worth I think Sub Pop has done vinyl the right way. It is usually 12 dollars, with always a free download coupon. They don't get into the whole 180 gram crap. It is simple and easy.

That's funny, Neil was the person I was thinking of when I said $40. I think I paid that for Prairie Wind. I absolutely love that album and had to have it on vinyl. It did take a couple of visits to the record store to finally pull the trigger though. I think I also paid close to $40 for the new Raconteurs album. Also worth it in my mind. The packaging is really cool and the sound is fantastic.

I usually only buy vinyl for albums I want to sit and digest in a full listen. I'm not a completest as in I need everything a certain band puts out. I can pick and choose. That being said I'll buy any of Wilco's past albums on vinyl as I love all of them in their entirety. YHFT and GIB are on my turntable at least once a month. You just can't beat the full sound.

I was really bummed to spend nearly $20 on Drive By Trucker's "A Blessing And A Curse," on vinyl only to realize that there was no cd or download coupon inside. I mean that's an absolute joke. Needless to say I'll think twice before buying anymore of their back catalog on vinyl.

For what it is worth I think Sub Pop has done vinyl the right way.

Sub Pop is more or less indie.....as I have said, they have continued to do right by vinyl buyers, even when the rest of the biz has not.

LouieB

I was really bummed to spend nearly $20 on Drive By Trucker's "A Blessing And A Curse," on vinyl only to realize that there was no cd or download coupon inside. I mean that's an absolute joke. Needless to say I'll think twice before buying anymore of their back catalog on vinyl.

100% agreed. No need for that cost. I bought Blessing and a Curse on vinyl (i know I'm in the minority but it is my favorite DBT record) but will not by any of the others.

1st) Vinyl is actually cheaper, but only in medium and up quantities (like 10,000+ pressings). Think about it. To make a record, they play the master tape into a cutting lathe, which makes a master laquer. The make a molding of the master laquer. that mold wears out after every thousand or so pressings. the master laquer is fine, but you have to recover the costs of that process. Regular bulk vinyl is cheaper than the metal used in cds, so once you are able to cover the costs of the mold and the extensive cutting process, it is less.

2nd) Why do they release so many albums as double vinyl when they were single cds? On vinyl, the up and down movement is where the bass frequencies are. (That is another reason why 180g vinyl is favored, there is more room for the bass frequencies.) This is why you see the riaa eq curve thing listed on some albums. RIAA eq curve was a standard they reached in the 50s where they increase the treble and greatly decrease the bass when the laquer is cut, and then the preamp for the turntable has an eq curve that reverses this. If they didnt do it this way, there would be no bass on records, or they would only be one sided, and thicker.

The width of the groove on the vinyl is the volume. The problem is that when albums start getting longer, you start losing volume significantly. The maximum length for high volume is 40 minutes, and at 45 minutes it becomes very noticeable. I have a Vinyl copy of Neil Young's Weld, and it is almost 30 minutes on each side. The volume is probably 1/4 that of a normal length record. It also greatly reduces sound quality, because you hear tons of noise trying to increase the volume, and the longer the record, the more tracking becomes a problem (skips and stuff).

If you want to know about this stuff, read here http://www.urpressing.com/resources.php

And I cant wait to buy these wilco reissues!