some DVD info, but mostly about Blu-Ray

So, if a band you've never heard of released a BR, would you buy it?

Let me take this one: if I liked Blu Ray, and had never heard Wilco, I would by their Blu Ray movie so I would hear them and stop being such a freaking loser. The same applies to any other format they have releases on.

High five? :pirate

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was the Tulsa show. Apparently his voice was suffering pretty bad at the Houston show. The next day in Tulsa, Jeff visited a local doc who gave him a steroid shot. Jeff invited the doc to the show, where he sat in front of the rail. Funny banter ensued. Glad it's captured here. April 18 can't get here quick enough.

hhaha nice... sounds like an epic show, and what a historical venue to boot... I was wondering, I know the dvd was very well edited... but I checked wilco base and I know the trailer showed a lot of the Nashville and Tulsa (white suit,) but the Total Pros were not at either of those shows... the horns in the background in the trailer are SICK.. which concert were those from? DC maybe?

For the most part that is right. The differences between BR and DVD are very subtle except on screens over 5 ft. and sometimes can actually look worse. Sleepy Hollow comes to mind. The BR is NO improvement on the DVD. The burners and technology are still really expensive for the professional world and as technology changes to download technology I think the BR future does not look bright. And I keep hearing it is making strides toward the mainstream all the time but as of now even after Christmas BR market share is still a whopping 8%. The players even after the big price drops this season did NOT fly off the shelves. I have a BR player but have not invested too much in the media. But for anything Wilco related I would definitely purchase on BR. Still I don't have a lot of confidence in BR and Sony does not have a good track record as far as launching new formats. Anyone remember Betamax and SACD? I still am pissed that HD DVD did not win. It was the superior format and a much cheaper/ easier transition. And we will see how launching a new technology works out in this recession/depression. My guess is not very well.

The trailer looks GREAT by the way and I can't wait for this on BR or DVD hopefully both so everyone is satisfied.

From your comments I'd question on whether you even seen that many Blu Ray's? Blu Ray is without a doubt much better quality in both picture and audio than a standard dvd. There has yet to be one Blu Ray reviewed that didn't score higher marks than its DVD counterpart. Every Blu Ray has to be remastered/transferred to 1080p and most have at the least 24bit TruHD audio surround. The movie you reference with Sleepy Hollow is considered to be one of the worst transfers out there, this is not an example of the norm. That movie has always looked like crap anyways. That being said, I agree with you that I wish HD DVD would have fared better or won, though I gotta disagree about Blu Ray's bright future. The Dark Knight sold nearly 2 million copies in the U.S. in its first week alone. It's the only technology that Sony has EVER shared with competitors, the momentum will continue to grow with PS3 sales and new $150 Blu Ray players. DVD's aren't going anywhere for the time being, but the could very well be irrelevant within 2-3 years. There is already talk of some companies simply not producing anymore standard dvd players.

Enthusiasts that previously had not heard of Wilco would be tempted to pick this up because some of the concert films that are already out on Blu Ray are absolutely stunning... and with 24bit TruHD Audio, the surround replicates the concert experience like no other. If adapters picked up the Hannah Montana concert without hesitation because it got great reviews, its pretty safe to say there would be quite a few blind buyers for this film as well. There is a thread about 8 pages long on hidefdigest about the IATTBYH Blu Ray, with the majority of poster's not having a clue who Wilco is

Enthusiasts that previously had not heard of Wilco would be tempted to pick this up because some of the concert films that are already out on Blu Ray are absolutely stunning... and with 24bit TruHD Audio, the surround replicates the concert experience like no other. If adapters picked up the Hannah Montana concert without hesitation because it got great reviews, its pretty safe to say there would be quite a few blind buyers for this film as well. There is a thread about 8 pages long on hidefdigest about the IATTBYH Blu Ray, with the majority of poster's not having a clue who Wilco is

No one's buying a friggin Blu Ray concert movie of a band they've never hear of! It doesn't make any sense!

great way to stimulate the economy

No one's buying a friggin Blu Ray concert movie of a band they've never hear of! It doesn't make any sense!

It actually makes plenty of sense, you've never gone to see or bought a movie or cd you hadn't heard anything about except from hearing around the way "this is good"

Tough to get into anything new or expand ones likes without taking risks.... Blu Ray owners love to blind buy.

hhaha nice... sounds like an epic show, and what a historical venue to boot... I was wondering, I know the dvd was very well edited... but I checked wilco base and I know the trailer showed a lot of the Nashville and Tulsa (white suit,) but the Total Pros were not at either of those shows... the horns in the background in the trailer are SICK.. which concert were those from? DC maybe?

I think the Total Pros were in D.C. and New Orleans. (Am I missing another show?)

The Total Pros were in Nashville, I very much remember them on Hate it Here, Walken and ITMWLY.

Why would anyone buy anything from a band they never heard of?

If this is shot in HD, it will be released on Blu-ray no question about it. No reason to shoot in HD if it wasnt going to be released in HD. DVD is not HD.

It will be released in 2 versions. For those that dont have the latest tech can buy the DVD.

And BTW, Blu-ray blows away the quality of DVD by alot, total difference.

The best thing about the new Blu-ray market is that it is bringing down the price of DVDs and DVD players.

Eventually Blu-rays will be the norm, but it could take awhile but it is slowly changing. Once price comes down and more people get used to watching HD, people will consider DVDs low-res and fuzzy and pay the bit extra to move up.

I am excited for this new Concert Film.

I have 50" HDTV, which is pretty big, and I find the difference between watching a DVD and watching the same content in HD on cable to be negligible. That minor difference is not enough to get me to buy a BluRay player, especially since I own about 30 or so DVDs (is BluRay backwards compatible?) and there is a lot more selection/availability in rentals for DVD.

I have 50" HDTV, which is pretty big, and I find the difference between watching a DVD and watching the same content in HD on cable to be negligible. That minor difference is not enough to get me to buy a BluRay player, especially since I own about 30 or so DVDs (is BluRay backwards compatible?) and there is a lot more selection/availability in rentals for DVD.

When I was thinking about buying a Blu Ray player for a minute, the one I was looking at played DVDs. It just isn't important enough to me to spend money on.

All blu-rays are backwards compatible, so no need to restart any collection, plus most upconvert regular dvds, so you will notice a better quality from your existing collection.

The reason why you dont see a big diff can be many reasons. HD on cable is all over the board and getting worse on many channels. Alot of shows are not even recorded in high resolution and just being passed through on a HD signal that is much reduced anyways. You arent really getting a good comparison. Alot of channels now are calling themselves HD but quality is really low and slightly better than the normal. Check out some of the newer shows on NBC, CBS, or ABC on HD.

If your tv is 1080p or even 1080i, and you play a blu-ray movie like Dark Knight through HDMI, you will see a huge diff than the DVD.

All blu-rays are backwards compatible, so no need to restart any collection, plus most upconvert regular dvds, so you will notice a better quality from your existing collection.

The reason why you dont see a big diff can be many reasons. HD on cable is all over the board and getting worse on many channels. Alot of shows are not even recorded in high resolution and just being passed through on a HD signal that is much reduced anyways. You arent really getting a good comparison. Alot of channels now are calling themselves HD but quality is really low and slightly better than the normal. Check out some of the newer shows on NBC, CBS, or ABC on HD.

If your tv is 1080p or even 1080i, and you play a blu-ray movie like Dark Knight through HDMI, you will see a huge diff than the DVD.

Isn't that how a lot of the tech stores unloaded their 720i HD TVs over Christmas, with people thinking they got a great deal over the new 1080 ones?