New album news!

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what you mean. I can't tell you something's safe or not, unless I know specifically what you're talking about.

I'm talking about "it" as in the subject of this thread, right? it? safe? yes?

> Why is that?

apparently it has pedal steel and acoustic guitar - no noise!... oh no!

Yes, however....

"Deeper Down"- features cascading lap-steel and delicate fingerpicking and a bed rock of bizarre guitar and keyboard tones. With opening lines
Yes, however....

Ok, so then, so far we've heard is it's more experimental, something more sonic sounding and now we hear of a strong country vibe... Experimental/ country, perhaps? Is there even such a thing? :blush :lol

"Being There"

But you're right, those two aren't usually mentioned in the same breath. And from what I remember of the things i've heard (one wing, sunny feeling, wilco the song) they don't seem to be either country or experimental. More straight up rock. But it's been a while since i've listened as i'm trying to wait forthe final thing, so i could be wrong.

> Why is that?

apparently it has pedal steel and acoustic guitar - no noise!... oh no!

Those features have made other Wilco albums enjoyable. I think (speaking out of turn for a few critics) the songwriting and production are what make AM a lesser album in a lot of people's eyes (or just mine).

There has been a lot of acoustic guitar on every Wilco album. What's fascinating is how the band surrounds the acoustic guitar that Tweedy writes the songs and plays them on. I mean dang, Forget the Flowers, Via Chicago, Radio Cure, Company in My Back, What Light. All of those have acoustic guitar and sound and feel completely different.

I think my motivation for almost every response in this thread has something to do with explaining how we don't really know at all what the album is going to sound/feel like. I think I'm so in love with that idea that if I wasn't surprised by the record I would be disappointed. Maybe someone should quote me on that every week or two, everyone can ignore it and I will sit and patiently wait for the thing to surface. COME ON JUNE!!!

Ever notice that it's only before they are heard that albums are ever talked about as "Album #3 meets Album #5" or "the songwriting of Album #2 mixed with the production of Album #4"?

Who ever says "Now that it's been out for a couple of years, SBS is AM meets AGIB with a dash of ST."