New album news!

• Replies 769
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever notice that it's only before they are heard that albums are ever talked about as "Album #3 meets Album #5" or "the songwriting of Album #2 mixed with the production of Album #4"?

Who ever says "Now that it's been out for a couple of years, SBS is AM meets AGIB with a dash of ST."

:lol

Ever notice that it's only before they are heard that albums are ever talked about as "Album #3 meets Album #5" or "the songwriting of Album #2 mixed with the production of Album #4"?

Who ever says "Now that it's been out for a couple of years, SBS is AM meets AGIB with a dash of ST."

Totally. That's a good observation. I also notice touring bands tend to play the last album a little less on tour. It's like they're getting tired of the last record's songs, because they had to represent every night. I have also noticed a lot of bands playing more of the songs two albums back, like they've rediscovered that once over-performed song cycle. When I saw Wilco touring for AGIB they only played a couple YHF tunes and seemed to be relishing in the summerteeth. After SBS I found a lack of AGIB songs in their set.

Maybe that's a crap theory, but I've seen them do it, and Radiohead does it too.

Seriously, in reading back in this thread -- and these type of threads overall -- I'm afraid people get tripped up on their preconceived notions and expectations, trying to pigeonhole an ensemble's creation (and include the band, the engineers, anyone who impacts this project) into what the listener envisions as the proper direction for the band, which as limited by his/her experience, can only be more of the same (or more of what the listener likes).

As with any art, it should be most judged on:

1) What do they have to say?

2) How do they say it?

Context -- your past experience, your emotions, your current mood and frame of mind -- frame how you interpret 1 and 2 -- but artistically it's dependent upon 1 and 2.

26764207-26764208-large.jpg

There's something weird going on with this photo, perspective-wise. Is Pat a giant? Is he hovering in the air in a sitting position? Perhaps he's sitting on the arm of the couch, but it looks like he's much closer to the camera. In the caption on RS.com Jeff is the only person identified, which is also kind of funny. Were we not supposed to notice the other person?

26762707-26762715-slarge.jpg

Wilco Gets Experimental on New Album

Band brings New Zealand inspiration home for ambitious set.

Posted Mar 20, 2009 11:05 AM

Wilco

Title TBD June

After the live, urgent feel of 2007's Sky Blue Sky, Wilco is exploring more studio experimentation for its seventh album.

"We wanted to go in there with more of an eye for sculpting something sonically," says Jeff Tweedy.

As we previously reported, the core of the album was recorded in January in New Zealand after the band recorded with Neil Finn for an Oxfam benefit album. They enjoyed their studio time so much that they extended their stay in Auckland and continued to work in Finn's studio.

Producer/engineer/mixer Jim Scott came on board (he also served as the mixing engineer on Summerteeth, Sky Blue Sky and Being There) and additional sessions at the band's Chicago studio the Loft followed. "We wanted to use the studio more, to create more of an artifact than a document," Tweedy says.

"Everyone was so on their game," guitarist Nels Cline adds. "This one is more plastic, more sonic."

The experimentation is anchored once again by Tweedy's sly, insightful and often heartbreaking lyrics. "Deeper Down" opens with "By the end of the bout, he was punched out, fists capsized, muscles shouting," while "My Country Disappeared" explores America's "crushed cities," concluding "There's nothing left here."

"I think that any writer, over time, has obsessions, and a lot of the obsessions that were in place on our previous records are on this record, too," says Tweedy.

An early preview of the disc gives off a strong country vibe, with lots of pedal steel and acoustic guitar. Standout cuts include the mournful ballad "My Country Disappeared," the Being There-style rocker "Sunny Feeling," a duet with Feist ("You and I") and the band's new unofficial theme, "Wilco, the Song," which features the chorus "Wilco will love you."

"My records have loved me," Tweedy explains. Not my own records, but music. It's silly to say, but I think it's very real."

Adds Tweedy, "It's really our best record yet."

http://nonesuch.com/journal/rolling-stone-...lbum-2009-03-23

26764207-26764208-large.jpg

There's something weird going on with this photo, perspective-wise. Is Pat a giant? Is he hovering in the air in a sitting position? Perhaps he's sitting on the arm of the couch, but it looks like he's much closer to the camera. In the caption on RS.com Jeff is the only person identified, which is also kind of funny. Were we not supposed to notice the other person?

i was wondering who that person is that's holding a guitar/bass like Bill Wyman!

If Sunny Feeling is a highlight, I think we're fucked. :unsure

I remember digging that tune. I didn't like it as much as One Wing, but I dug it..

Speaking of which, sorry if I have missed it somewhere, but has it been mentioned anywhere that One Wing will be on the record?? Bad ass tune...

The glass half empty people on this particular thread crack me up. If the worse case scenario is an album that sounds like AM, then we all really need more to worry about. Maybe I'm a glass half empty person for being annoyed by those worried about another safe SBS album and ignoring those who actually are excited about the new record that we all still have not heard.