Wilco (The Album Discussion w/ spoilers)

who are your top 5 bands right now doing better work in your opinion?

I'm not that poster I'll respond to that:

The Drive By Truckers

The Felice Brothers

Neko Case

The Hold Steady

Fleet Foxes

M83

There are a few just for starters.

I'm just really curious what other people are going crazy for who think this new album is just 'good.' A little perspective and maybe a recommendation of some good music is all I'm asking. :) Welcome to VC, by the way.

I hate to break it to you but on other music forums this album is widely considered boring.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer
I hate to break it to you but on other music forums this album is widely considered boring.

Does that change how it sounds on my stereo?

Sometimes an album grabs you on the first listen, but I find that to be a rare thing. I haven't been prepared to declare my love for any Wilco album on first listen, and I'm not sure how I'm ultimately going to feel about this one (thought I am optimistic that I will like it better than SBS, which strangely enough I found myself liking less upon repeat listens). Still, I certainly wouldn't be willing to declare my disappointment with less then 24 hours of listening to this thing under my belt. Hell, I remember feeling a little disappointed with Summerteeth on the first few spins, and it's now one of my all-time favorites. So, I'm going to go get back to listening to the new record -- I think I'll have a better feel for it after living with it (you know, listening in the car, at work, etc.).

I'm not that poster I'll respond to that:

The Drive By Truckers

The Felice Brothers

Neko Case

The Hold Steady

Fleet Foxes

M83

There are a few just for starters.

Orkie. :rolleyes

Thanks for answering a question not posed to you. Your musical taste is well known here, dude. You're not the "new" poster I was curious about at all.

You mean the ones you haven't gotten yourself banned from?

I remember you calling AGIB a collection of "Billy Joel c-sides" years ago. That and many other things you've posted over the years renders your opinion completely irrelevant to me. Go listen to your precious Floyd, dude.

I've been lurking for a couple of months, but this is my first post. I just discovered Wilco last summer, and I've grown to love them. They are in my handful of favorite bands right now, along with the Beatles, Bruce Cockburn, Lloyd Cole, and lately, Chuck Prophet. These days, I'm listening to much more Wilco than anything else.

That said, I love this album. It has a great mix of styles, that I'm really enjoying. I don't know all of the cuts yet, since I've only listened four times, but I can't wait to beat it to death :)

Thanks for all the great info you've all shared over the months I've been here. I'm really enjoying myself.

The Hold Steady board just called us suck-ups and said that we were obviously going down on the whole thing.

Let's get 'em guys!

The Hold Steady has a board?

how anyone can think a Wilco album is worse than a Hold Steady one is beyond me, the Hold Steady are one of the biggest piece of crap bands i have ever heard in my life, for all you who like them tell the singer to learn how to sing and to stop looking like a fairy on stage. This albums not bad, all wilco albums take a few listens, I didnt like YHFT or ST the first time I heard them, but now I do

Better not try to look at it, though.

Now, I have to.

I don't know about everyone else, but on first listen I found "You and I" a little tepid, but very sweet. On second listen I was blown away. I always thought (from the live bootlegs) that it was a paint by number love song lyrics. I thought he said "I want to know everything about you." But he says "I don't want to know everything about you." The bit about being like strangers, too. It seems to have a little more emotional complexity to me than baby your the best.

At first it was weird to hear Feist's vocals without the AM radio, re-amp treatment they put on her records, but after a couple listens it makes me hope she'll put them through straight without the extra distortion/weird eq.

That Hold Steady board is pretty funny. There's really not much talk about the new album and its split pretty evenly. There is a funny Seals and Croft reference.

Maybe it will take me a couple listens... I loved AM and Being There right off the bat...Same thing with YHF...However I hated Summerteeth the first time I heard it....Now I consider it a masterpiece.

I just dont see that happening here.

I actually stopped listening after Country Disappeared (no pun intended) and told myself I would just wait for the release date...Wilco (along with Son Volt) has been my favorite band since REM released Automatic For The People...In my opinion no band in America has produced better music over that span than Wilco...I did have pre-conceived notions about this album...Starting with the fact that Wilco has barely taken any time off from touring since AGIB was released...I think that has caused the released material to suffer...I dont want to get into the Jay Bennett vs. Nels Cline discussion but to me the overall quality of the bands material in the post JB days doesnt come close to what it was prior to his departure.

That being said, I will still pay to see every Wilco show that comes within 100 miles of my hometown and even without listening to this entire album, I am sure it will be better than 90% of the other crap that is released this year.

I will give it some more spins once it hits the stores, and maybe then I will have a different perspective...

wow, lots of varying opinions.

I'll just state that after two listens (it takes me time to fully get into a Wilco album) it is a good album, not their best, but it will grow on me.

two songs didnt hit me though, You Never Know and Sunny Feeling. maybe it is just too pop for me from wilco. still growing on me though. The rest is great though,

But i'd need to see/hear some songs i havent heard in concert yet to give it a full review. sorry thats how i do it.

i love this lyric though:

I’m in a bull-black Chevy Nova

Silhouetted by the setting sun

i got a great visual from it.